Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

I like to say everybody has a bag, and everybody has a gig. If your bag and your gig jive... man, thats groovy! 8)  Still, there are trials indeed.

Todays quest exits the realm of quantification, and explores a world where imagination reigns supreme and panel stampings run askew. A chaotic place of merciless concrete and glowing steel rain. Next stop... (cig drag) The Eyeball Zone. ~:)

Ahem- In order to make this drip rail ditch look like the other, despite matching measurements of inner roof rail and side window position, the structure interfered with these jamb pieces. Starting there, I made alterations which positioned the mirror image jamb parts correctly. Then, recognizing that I had welded the cut over the side window with the forward section of quarter ever so slightly low... a cut was made, differences were split, adjustments took place, and it ate a day but now both doors have reasonably similar top gaps and space under the drip rails. Permanent adjustment to structure to be made with quarter off.

Look at the rolled step visible in the later bottom pic. It is only visible at front in the earlier top pic. Now theres a small amount of trimming needed on the old ditch between me and a fairly consistent 3/4" wide drip rail ditch with a half inch flat over the door opening. And it should pinch a weatherstrip all around. We need to get some to try out.

Matt

kb426

What kind of weatherstripping is in the plan?
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

PSA half round like for the '33. I have left a roughly half inch wide, quarter inch deep path for it. Thinking maybe 3/8" width would be good.
Matt

idrivejunk

Various welding today, inside-

Ugly drip rail ditch weld but conquered door gap-

Connecting more permanent tabs for bolting quarters and window panel to structure just ahead of the trunk-

Matt

moose

Have you determined yet how you are going to attach interior window moldings?

Tim

idrivejunk

I only glanced at them, but am anticipating chopping the originals. How are they attached? :idea:

There is a step I plan to take... not sure just when... that involves connecting the inner structure to the window openings. With sheetmetal. Along with the gennie interior moldings, I hope that if needed... wood strips can be screwed to that. Thats where my mind rests on the subject currently. I believe it will be a good thing but am unfamiliar with the setup. Stay tuned. Tips (and examples) welcomed. :T)

Wrapped up this area early today-

Then I got that other tab and bolt on the rear window panel and went back to the driver's side to make the door latch position match the other side. Up 1 1/4". Took a couple tries to nail striker position.

Another day with lots of grinding first thing, oboy!  :roll:  But grinding means done. :D
Matt

moose

Matt the quarter and rear window moldings attach to the original wood surrounding the openings capturing the glass into the openings.

Attached are pictures of the original wood. The quarter moldings fastened to the surface  while the rear fits into and fastens to the inside of the wood surround.

idrivejunk

Moose, thanks for that timely reminder and additional info. Its useful and appreciated. The back window may conflict with my vision of what to put there, but not the sides.

Stand by for catch-up posts  :arrow:
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

If any 'splaining is needed for that last batch of pics, let me know. I wanted to get at least one good example of  the doors' posts corrections, in the jamb. The skin panels are sturdy enough to blast now, and the door skin I laid over to try fit good. I can start to see the progress thats been happening, and am pleased with what I've done up to this point. Theres still a long stretch to cover, but the path is much less curvy and mostly downhill.

What I want to post today is what we got the boss for Christmas. We've had the '54 out front for awhile but with no real sign. Mike made the fancy bracket, and while boss was off doing wifey stuff we put the sign in place. Caught him completely off guard when he passed by later in the day!  :idea:  :!:  :arrow:

I have blocked out the contact info to avoid this being percieved as advertising. The sign is just another neat idea by Mike. 8)
Matt

jaybee

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

idrivejunk

Finished up getting doors blastworthy. Ready to take the other quarter off.

These are for the rust belt guts. New meat-

Thats seriously cherry. But scope out the CEL, it looks like one.

I had a young one clamp up the Cobra, he was just getting started here-

Gary drove up to Joplin for a Chevy HiPerformance shoot Saturday. These are from his phone, the photographer liked how the paint photographed, he says. I think its cool any way you slice it.

Matt

rumrumm

The owner must love Model A's because given all the labor costs, I think he could have a new United Pacific steel '32 coupe body on a new '32 chassis.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "rumrumm"The owner must love Model A's because given all the labor costs, I think he could have a new United Pacific steel '32 coupe body on a new '32 chassis.

And got change   :!:  :!:  :lol:  :lol:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****