Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Hey guys, another potentially goofy idea. Talk to me.... KB's CV tank got me thinking... :roll:

Tiny saddle tanks outside the frame just have zero appeal for me, being an ex-crash man. To me, no amount of convenience or usage of space merits quite that degree of disregard for motoring safety, not to mention dual tank complexities and dual gas flap uglies. I duly apologize if that hurts any feelings, as that is not my intent. A raised trunk floor with drop-thru (yeah, Mustang but with full frame around) style tank over the axle OR, better yet, an upright tank directly below the rear window with fill neck and cap in trunk, well firewalled and encased by tubular body structure... both sound better to me.

This isn't a decision I'll be involved with, but much like the Catalina exhaust I can design with something in mind if the chassis man is willing to discuss options. I don't like designing my body work to "Just leave me as many options as possible". Thats why I try to talk things through when I approach an area where I can offer options. The Cat tailpipes will probably run through a slanted sleeve through the frame rails, for example. Yet I tried and tried to push sheetmetal ideas instead. I don't have to understand, but think I do good and save work this way often enough that it should be obvious that planning is the key.

So I'd like to hear thoughts on Model A gas tanks. No, not the old style ones in the cowl please. Any takers?
Matt

moose

On my coupe I added a motorcycle filler on the top of the drivers quarter panel. Plan is to bulkhead the passenger cabin area and mount a tank well braced at the front of the trunk. I went with the external filler not wanting the possibility of spillage with the inside filler.

It is also very small and allowed the cap to be contoured to blend with the body panel.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "moose"On my coupe I added a motorcycle filler on the top of the drivers quarter panel. Plan is to bulkhead the passenger cabin area and mount a tank well braced at the front of the trunk. I went with the external filler not wanting the possibility of spillage with the inside filler.

It is also very small and allowed the cap to be contoured to blend with the body panel.

That sounds mighty interesting, I'd like to see. Was able to find only one post via search, and the pics were absent.

I find myself contemplating the chop job some today and thats my cue to look around the web. Maybe I can find a 3/2 chop on a five window to look at rather than trying to edit a pic. I doubt the customer wants me to chop half an inch then call so he can come look, then repeat until satisfactory. :roll:
Matt

Canuck

Did a trunk mounted tank, just behind the seat.  First installed a fire barrier floor to rear shelf and quarter panel to quarter panel sealed with firestop all around.  Panel is just short of the quarter panels to prevent any transfer thru the panel.

The tank is a commercially available tank with a fill tube extended to the top of the quarter panel for outside filling.  The light weight of the tank left me concerned about possible damage so a steel framed wood barrier was built.

A custom built tank would have been better fit, the commercial tank was selected for motor vehicle inspection concerns.  The curve in the filler although it seems smooth still resulted in a slow fill.

[/img]
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

idrivejunk

I like your version of a steel framed wood barrier. 8)  And for your reason, a prefab tank makes complete sense. The Factory 5s had some fueling woes and lots of unique setups do. Cap is not too bad, sure beats right under the driver's nose. Thanks for the visuals! Not far from what I am imagining but we will have greatbigohuge tubs, it appears. :shock: :0-0
Matt

Rochie

That's exactly what I did with my 29 roadster. Worked out great!

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "idrivejunk"
Yessir I made that patch at the Shack. Previous experiences indicate better results that way because the available patch is so awful. The one I made is just a little less awful.

ok.  I saw the drawring on the sheet metal ...  Was not sure if you moved forward on that.   Perhaps I missed the verbal commentary
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "idrivejunk"
Yessir I made that patch at the Shack. Previous experiences indicate better results that way because the available patch is so awful. The one I made is just a little less awful.

ok.  I saw the drawring on the sheet metal ...  Was not sure if you moved forward on that.   Perhaps I missed the verbal commentary

There was an aborted attempt to make a door skin on the page before this. Someone could not grasp the concept of that original plan, so I drew it. Guys here understood. My first try was not good enough so we ordered skins. From that attempt, I salvaged a corner of the metal and made the patch shown Friday from that.
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

GPster

I like that 3"-2" chop ! It makes sense of that curve in the top of the window opening at the top of the doors. Now you need to learn how to draw suicide doors and flush fitting front door edges. GPster

idrivejunk

Yeah, boy... all that kinda has to happen at once. Its bound to be like arm wrestling an octopus, I'll be busy as a one legged man at a butt kicking contest I tell you whut. :lol:

Meanwhile :arrow:

I did another like the other day. Straightened the quarter first and followed the same basic process but this one still needs work at the bottom, I had to make revisions on the fly, y'know. For a Monday, I'll take it. You fellows feel free to ignore that pic plotting the chop. They think I've gone all the way plumb insane so I ain't doing the photo edits about work no more. Nope. Thought I had something there. but nah.

Here are the today pictures and if theres a question, kindly speak up. I am off to closely examine the inside of my eyelids for hours. :idea:  :arrow:

Matt

chimp koose

that panel looks nice !

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chimp koose"that panel looks nice !

Thank you sir, I figure its not too shabby yet. :)

Met the owner today, wow is that guy happy!

Matt

idrivejunk

I was kinda all over it today. First customer visit and he was thrilled. :D  I'm fooling with doors now.
Matt

idrivejunk

By the way, customer expressed interest in a tank at front of trunk. This pic edit satisfies my curiosity fully and I would chop now if I had the roof insert.:)

Matt