Sweet roadster coming together at Tardel's

Started by av8, September 28, 2004, 10:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

av8

I got put to work at Tardel's today doing something other than massaging flathead blocks and cranks. Vern has been building this customer car for about 5-6 months -- '30 Ford highboy roadster on a Deuce frame, starting with ASC rails and a Tardel K-member, Brookville body, and lots of good old Ford hardware, totally rebuilt to as-new specs.

There's a first-class flatmotor being assembled in the engine room -- new French block, 4-inch SCAT crank, Oliver rods, 3-5/16 Ross pistons, etc., etc., all very good stuff.

Because of lots of block and crank work facing me, this is one of the first ground-up cars to be built in the Prune Orchard in a long time that I haven't had more to do with. In fact, I thought I was going to miss out on participating on this one altogether . . . until Vern asked me if I would like to plumb the brake system. He knew I couldn't say no; I love doing brakes almost as much as I love porting flatheads! I get to be fussy and work at my own pace and nobody messes with me -- perfect work for an old guy!

Here are some pics that could have been taken in another era. Nothing out of time other than the aluminized insulation. There's not one Phillips-head screw on the entire car.

Crosley.In.AZ

Looks good!

The axle from a young fellow in Arizona?  Mostly old farts here.

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

A classic formula always works doesn't it Mike?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Roadstar

Nice little car Mike.

Would someone still refer to that as an "A V-8?

I'm itch'in to build something like that so bad. I have all the parts except the body. And I do have a perfect Grillshell, hood, and firewall for a 32, so a new body makes sence.

But everytinme I look at your book I like the looks of the 28 roadster on duece rails.

But  REALLY like the Idea of a 28 RPU done in that style.

Please help. Signed confused in the Midwest :lol:

Great looking car....Hope you can post a few more photos as it's completed!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Rochie

Mike,
I really like that nice, simplistic form.  No gliches, no add-ons, nothing that doesn't belong.  As a matter of fact, due to Vern's and your book I bought a 29 roadster and am gathering parts to start it this winter. It's a pile of rusty tin about 3 feet deep right now, but I know there's a car in there just waiting to be brought back. The book gave me the inspiration and the car develops the required passion. I for one would like to see some of the build pictures if you have any, either here or in a PM.
Thanks and keep up the good work,
Rochie

av8

Quote from: "Roadstar"Nice little car Mike.

Would someone still refer to that as an "A V-8?

I'm itch'in to build something like that so bad. I have all the parts except the body. And I do have a perfect Grillshell, hood, and firewall for a 32, so a new body makes sence.

But everytinme I look at your book I like the looks of the 28 roadster on duece rails.

But  REALLY like the Idea of a 28 RPU done in that style.

Please help. Signed confused in the Midwest :lol:

In the strictest sense of the term, an AV8 is a Model A with a flathead V8 stuffed in it. Somewhere along the line the term came into common usage to described Model A bodies on Deuce chassis as well, so, yes, this is an AV8.

I have a special fondness for pure, spidery AV8s, thanks to Don Ferrara's roadster and Dave Mitchell's roadster pickup. The look is harder to pull off, however, but it's a great excuse for running an in-your-face exhaust system.

If you're fond of RPUs, and prefer the '28-'29 cowl, consider doing a hybrid body with a '28-'29 cowl doors and a '30-'31 extended back; Brookville has one that's lengthened 6 inches from the B pillar back, and they have a bed that's 6 inches shorter ahead of the rear axle. The resulting cockpit would be very roomy and you still would have a lot of storage space in the bed. Surprising as it sounds, the lengthened cockpit does not look in the least bit odd. In fact, most people don't even realize that it's not a stock body.  Some massaging would be required, to transition the flat beltline of the early door to the rounder beltline of the cab back, and I think the cab back is a little taller than the door so some sectioning at the bottom is in order. A Deuce frame would be a must-have with this configuration, IMHO.

HotRodLadyCrusr

Always a pleasure to see whats cooking at Vern's place.  Thanks for sharing.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Brootal

Now that's inspirational Mike. Pretty much exactly what I would like to build... except for a Cadillac engine and maybe some shiny stuff. :)

Make sure to keep up posted.

PS: I'm sure it'll have the best * brake lines in the biz!
Yes it is Grandad\'s Old Rambler!

//www.the-rumbler.com

Bib_Overalls

Mike,

In your book you give the dimensions for a 32 frame modified to carry a 28/29 Model A body.  What modifications are necessary to mount a 30/31 body?  

Bib
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks