2004 Mustang problem

Started by enjenjo, July 07, 2018, 12:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

I had a starter once that worked fine but inertia would fling the starter gear out during driving and it would just tickle the starter ring. Loudly. On the FWD car, it made the racket when turning one direction but in a RWD car with starter mounted on engine it would do it under some degree of acceleration. Its easy to check and makes a noise that caused the same suspicions in me about flexplate or bearing or knock. If the starter gear slides really easily with a finger or tool, that could be it.
Matt

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"Is there some egr valves that might be clicking? Under the intake is a heater hose pipe. Could it be rattling? If you speed up the engine slightly, does it vanish? Is he driving it without negative effects?

Actually it doesn't do it at idle, but starts doing it just off idle.

QuoteI had a starter once that worked fine but inertia would fling the starter gear out during driving and it would just tickle the starter ring. Loudly. On the FWD car, it made the racket when turning one direction but in a RWD car with starter mounted on engine it would do it under some degree of acceleration. Its easy to check and makes a noise that caused the same suspicions in me about flexplate or bearing or knock. If the starter gear slides really easily with a finger or tool, that could be it.

I'll have him check that.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "kb426"Is there some egr valves that might be clicking? Under the intake is a heater hose pipe. Could it be rattling? If you speed up the engine slightly, does it vanish? Is he driving it without negative effects?

Actually it doesn't do it at idle, but starts doing it just off idle.

QuoteI had a starter once that worked fine but inertia would fling the starter gear out during driving and it would just tickle the starter ring. Loudly. On the FWD car, it made the racket when turning one direction but in a RWD car with starter mounted on engine it would do it under some degree of acceleration. Its easy to check and makes a noise that caused the same suspicions in me about flexplate or bearing or knock. If the starter gear slides really easily with a finger or tool, that could be it.

I'll have him check that.

If he jacks up the front end with it idling and the noise starts, thats a clue. I was able to jack up one corner of my FWD and bring on the noise.
Matt

kb426

I read something this week that I haven't run across yet. Someone said that the ticking towards the rear of the engine was a rod bearing that was about to fail. This person says that is common. ??????
TEAM SMART