2004 Mustang problem

Started by enjenjo, July 07, 2018, 12:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

My grandson has a 2004 Mustang that he is having a problem with. This particular car is one he bought as a running driving low option very clean V6 automatic car. He stripped the shell bare, and started over. He bought and parted out several Mustangs to get all the parts he wanted. It has a full GT suspension, leather interior, cobra bumpers, a hood with a big scoop on it, 17 inch wheels, 373 8.8 with a locker, 3650 5 speed, and a two cam Mod motor out of a GT. He got it painted last year, it's a beautiful black and looks brand new.

The problem is a noise, a kind of click/rattle just off Idle. The noise continues until you let off the gas pedal. I have considered detonation, but it just doesn't sound right for detonation. It seems to be low in the engine at the center rear. It does not sound like a bad bearing.

Any one with a clue where to look?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Did he run the engine for a while before this started? How many miles are on the engine?
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

does the engine have one of those dynamic sprung multi-piece   flywheels? I forget the proper term...

I know they can make noise on the automamtic transmittin cars
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Did he run the engine for a while before this started? How many miles are on the engine?

The engine is out of a wreck with about 60,000 miles on it. The wreck sat for a while. Until this weekend he had it running several times but had problems with  engine misses due to coils and IAC problems. This noise was not evident until now. The missing is gone, idles is good, but now the noise.

does the engine have one of those dynamic sprung multi-piece flywheels? I forget the proper term...

No, it does not have a dual mass flywheel.

UGLY OLDS

Doesn't that engine have a cam synchronizer on the back side of the engine? I remember LOTS of ticking/rattling noises from them...

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Bob, I believe none of the 2 valve mod motors in Mustangs or crown vics have them. They are mounted on the front of the engine with all the chains and sprockets.
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

I thought the 4.0 V6 had timing chains in the rear. Don't really know, as I never had any trouble with the three that I've had.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"I thought the 4.0 V6 had timing chains in the rear. Don't really know, as I never had any trouble with the three that I've had.

The V6 has them in the rear, V8s have them in the front.

kb426

I did some research and this is what I found: 1: broken cat. convertor, 2: remove serpentine belt and see if the noise goes away, possible alternator problem, 3: stuck lifter, 4: disconnect injector harness 1 cylinder at a time and see if it's one specific cylinder.
TEAM SMART

Arnold

I have heard exhaust leaks in that area that have fooled.

wayne petty

take the starter off and bang on the flex plate  thru the starter opening. if its an automatic..

cracked flex plates make the weirdest sound..

sometimes one can use one of the USB flex cable cameras to see into deep spots.

did he torque the flexplate to crank bolts...

did he tighten the torque converter to flexplate fasteners.

just thoughts..

enjenjo

Quote from: "wayne petty"take the starter off and bang on the flex plate  thru the starter opening. if its an automatic..

cracked flex plates make the weirdest sound..

sometimes one can use one of the USB flex cable cameras to see into deep spots.

did he torque the flexplate to crank bolts...

did he tighten the torque converter to flexplate fasteners.

just thoughts..

Manual transmission. He told me he torqued every thing and he usually doesn't lie to me.

UGLY OLDS

:idea:   Does it go away with the clutch released ( Disinguaged, foot on pedal... ) & the trans in gear  :?:  :?:   It may be a transmission issue   :?:  
Chipped input shaft/countershaft gear  :?:  :idea:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS":idea:   Does it go away with the clutch released ( Disinguaged, foot on pedal... ) & the trans in gear  :?:  :?:   It may be a transmission issue   :?:  
Chipped input shaft/countershaft gear  :?:  :idea:

Bob.. :wink:

No

kb426

Is there some egr valves that might be clicking? Under the intake is a heater hose pipe. Could it be rattling? If you speed up the engine slightly, does it vanish? Is he driving it without negative effects?
TEAM SMART