Gasket non-stick coating

Started by Beck, February 06, 2018, 07:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

Holley carbs fuel bowl gaskets would come off clean with chap stick . then they came out with the rubber gaskets and problem solved.

chimp koose

righty tighty ! I had a student years ago who could never remember where the washer went , nut or bolt side . I told him to think of the shower , you washer nuts ! He is a journeyman now and any time we meet he says it laughingly .

wayne petty

Permatex 85420..

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-permashield-fuel-resistant-gasket-dressing-flange-sealant/

never dries hard...  does not wash off with gasoline or coolant..  good for 500F..  AKA hylomar

i use it on every head gasket i do..   both sides.. a thin coating and i let hang for 10 to 20 minutes to allow the solvents to evaporate..

if you wanted to use it on the timing cover gaskets.. you should probably glue them to the timing cover with a light coating of super weatherstrip adhesive or spray can 88 .. so the gaskets are stuck firm to the removable part.  the 85420 won't ever stick hard.. it is tacky for decades.  so you will have to pull the parts apart slowly..