Gasoline Prices: 2021

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 04, 2018, 08:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

Quote from: "enjenjo"This video is very interesting  
 It really makes you think.
Seems to make sense. Especially with technology moving as fast as it does nowadays the end of internal combustion engines isn't far off.

According to their graphs, the good thing is we should have cheap gas for 10 more years or so. Some of us won't have to think about it much longer than that.
George

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"This video is very interesting  
 It really makes you think.

had the time to watch the vid... Interesting thoughts.  Out here in Gibert AZ..  there are many Tesla and Leaf cars.  Extreme difference in  the car costs $ levels.

Couple neighbors have Leaf automobiles.   As recall in Arizona the first couple years the Leaf was sold in the southwest there was many complaints on battery life and range in the Leaf.  I have not read anything to see if that was resolved or what happened.  Seems like the range the owners were getting was near half of what Nissan said the Leaf would provide.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

I've had the opinion for several years that now is the time for someone to be developing an electric motor conversion which drops into an SBC compartment and uses existing accessories, mounts, and transmission. Between tossing radiator and gas tank there ought to be room, even if it only makes slouchy power. It's time would come, and tons of R&D plus a slow start would be expected. But imagine what a big favor we would be doing for the youngers... the world is now and will continue to be blessed with plenty of slicked up old car bodies. If a young guy with a good job wants to roll around in a street rod in 2030 and its still legal, there needs to be a viable ( uh-oh, heres that word but imagine how it will be ) kit available to enable that. If not... gents, I'm afraid they'll be paying folks to scrap our junk that we built.

This is just a spin-off tangent piece of pure opinion. But if I had the technology and wanted to set myself up for later, I would not hesitate to place a strong bet on this strategy even though to me, preserving what I call "retro vibe" (does it feel, sound, and smell like "itself", as designed) is the primary need... it won't be for those who come later. I believe expressing one's self through one's mode of personal transportation will prevail but theres a lulu of a giant first step in breaking away from internal combustion.

Just my .02 :)
Matt

phat46

Quote from: "idrivejunk"I've had the opinion for several years that now is the time for someone to be developing an electric motor conversion which drops into an SBC compartment and uses existing accessories, mounts, and transmission. Between tossing radiator and gas tank there ought to be room, even if it only makes slouchy power. It's time would come, and tons of R&D plus a slow start would be expected. But imagine what a big favor we would be doing for the youngers... the world is now and will continue to be blessed with plenty of slicked up old car bodies. If a young guy with a good job wants to roll around in a street rod in 2030 and its still legal, there needs to be a viable ( uh-oh, heres that word but imagine how it will be ) kit available to enable that. If not... gents, I'm afraid they'll be paying folks to scrap our junk that we built.

This is just a spin-off tangent piece of pure opinion. But if I had the technology and wanted to set myself up for later, I would not hesitate to place a strong bet on this strategy even though to me, preserving what I call "retro vibe" (does it feel, sound, and smell like "itself", as designed) is the primary need... it won't be for those who come later. I believe expressing one's self through one's mode of personal transportation will prevail but theres a lulu of a giant first step in breaking away from internal combustion.

Just my .02 :)

I believe something like that exists. On an episode of Wheeler Dealers they converted a car to electric and used the stock drivetrain. I can't remember what car it was, but there was a kit for it.

Edit: it was a Maserati Biturbo, here's a link: https://www.motor1.com/news/78474/would-you-want-the-wheeler-dealers-electric-maserati/

idrivejunk

Heck yeah, stack two of those and hang SBC trans and crank flanges and a bracket for SBC accessory drive... get a big name to put a sticker on it and just rake in cash! Simple plot, eh? I just haven't searched about electric rodding but yet run my mouth. :lol:

The setup in that link could go great in a Factory5 33, sure. Or maybe a real deuce.

As gas prices become less reasonable, electric hardware ought to become more so.
Matt

enjenjo

Somewhere in this country is a 50 Mercury custom with a complete model S Tesla drivetrain in it. There are a bunch of electric cars out now, you can find them in the salvage pools There is also a guy with a Model S Tesla that has in in the 9s with a basically stock drivetrain, and still " street legal".
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Arnold

Quote from: "enjenjo"Somewhere in this country is a 50 Mercury custom with a complete model S Tesla drivetrain in it. There are a bunch of electric cars out now, you can find them in the salvage pools There is also a guy with a Model S Tesla that has in in the 9s with a basically stock drivetrain, and still " street legal".

Here in S. Ontario we are..(actually been there for a year or two) at the point of batteries failing after about 10 years. Average replacement of $10,000..for whatever reason..I did a quick bone yard search. ALL KINDS of batteries..couple hundred bucks.
  I read about an electric pickup..about $70,000..0-60 in 3 seconds. In production..or not far off.

idrivejunk

My missed point was that to my knowledge, theres nothing available that is designed to work in place of an SBC with existing accessories and transmission.
Matt

phat46

Quote from: "idrivejunk"My missed point was that to my knowledge, theres nothing available that is designed to work in place of an SBC with existing accessories and transmission.

Hmmm, sounds like an opportunity...🤔😃

enjenjo

There is really not much needed. The transmission is no longer necessary, the electric motor makes max torque at stall. So the electric motor occupies the space previously used by the transmission. Now your only problem is find space for 1,000 lbs of batteries, and 200 lbs of controllers, and the cooling system for the batteries. In most cases a custom battery array will be needed to fit the available space, and that will be the most expensive part of the system.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "idrivejunk"My missed point was that to my knowledge, theres nothing available that is designed to work in place of an SBC with existing accessories and transmission.

Hmmm, sounds like an opportunity...🤔😃

I knew somebody would pick up what I was laying down. :wink:

Its like Frank says. OK yep I thought trans might be part of it but I don't know if maybe theres a cheaper way by utilizing one somehow. If someone did science out a well developed package, I just think it could have an impact on what happens to our rides after we go.

Gas was $1.88 today at a C store by the interstate. Carry on.
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

I did some reading.   I had not heard of an Arizona Lemon law buy back on some Nissan Leaf cars in 2012.  Nissan claims this was done to keep customers happy, not  large scale problem.

A class action lawsuit was filed against Nissan in 2012 in Calliefornia on the problem battery life of the Leaf cars..  I have not read any articles on that yet.

Nissan has increased the battery capacity on the Leaf cars from the early years.
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Paid 2.64 a gallon on Phx on monday..  I was surprised it was still the same price.  14 gallons into the truck

Diesel was at 3.06 a gallon
Tony

sirstude

$2.48 at Costco yesterday afternoon.  We have dropped from 2.98 in the last 3 weeks.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

$1.90 at Costco in toledo today, $1.89 at Kroger in Swanton