What are you doing today? 2018

Started by enjenjo, December 31, 2017, 03:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Quote from: "chimp koose"I am getting ready to swap a 351w into my 65 merc 1/2 ton . I can put it in with an auto trans or I can use the 4 speed that is in it now . currently has a tired 300 6/ 4 speed . I have a flywheel from a 95 5l mustang . will this flywheel work or do I need something else ? will the clutch from the 300 work on that flywheel ? thanks for any help

It depends on the year of the 351. I think 1981 was the year they changed the balance weight on the flywheel from 28 oz to 50 oz. The clutch and bell housing will work.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

Crosley.In.AZ

a/c quit in the house last night.  About 8pm..  Been a bit hot here in town.  A/c unit on the Ground  does a lot of buzzing, no compressor, no cooling fan action. I checked main voltages & fuses .. all good.

The failure was expected on this 4 yr olde unit.  Last inspection months ago. Near 400 dollars worth of "pre-maintenance"  repair suggested on this 4 yr olde unit.

One item : the run - fan capacitor was weak. 145 dollars installed.  If it failed: under warranty ie: no charge.  Other suggested upgrades:  were about 250 dollars

Of course I  asked why would I pay to replace a part that is warrantied ?  but yet the company will not replace it since it is weak and will fail soon...  But it is working at this time:  not replaced under warranty till it fails.  I do understand that.  At the time : Kinda between a rock and hard spot.  Now it is broke.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I have never seen a 351W that was 50oz. balance. Only the newer 5.0's had 50oz. I'm not 100% sure but I haven't run across one. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

C.K. the 95 flywheel will be 50oz balance. I believe it will have the metric pressure plate pins. There is a chance it will have more than 1 bolt pattern so the clutch might work. Those came with a 10.5" clutch.

Did you know...
1968-1980 302 engines were built with a 28 oz imbalance factor.
1981-2001 302 engines were built with a 50 oz imbalance factor.
1969-1997 351W engines were built with a 28 oz imbalance factor.
1970-1974 351C engines were built with a 28 oz imbalance factor.
NOTE: Severe engine damage will result if you use the wrong flywheel or damper on your engine.
I pirated the balance notes from the Ford website.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

found similar info while searching last night . Thanks guys .

kb426

Friday morning I'm headed to Salina. I'm excited to meet new people! Some of which, you may recognize. :) I should have some pics and a story about a car that you might find interesting. I was told it will be there. I've had enough work, it's play time. LOL
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

house a/c was repaired wednesday evening.  2 capacitors were needed.

Lawn tractor is operational. New belt.  Mowed the back yard this evening
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Killed 7 scorpions tonite.  I used the abrasive procedure with my boot.

One king snake near a scorpion. It was about 14 inches long.

Oddly enough:  my wife was very interested in where "exactly" the snake was at in the yard. LOL The snake was out at the back end of the yard.
Tony

kb426

Brief trip report from Salina. Had 2 really good days. I spent two afternoons with WZ JUNK and company. Very enjoyable. :) The 32 is cleaned and put back in the storage shed. During my de-briefing with the wife, I'm telling her about telling a story to Don Garllts. She says "the Don Garlits?". I said yes. I asked if he remembered a business transaction we had in 1980. It was a short visit but I left him with a smile on his face. :)  Good weather, good show, great people. What more can you ask for? :)
TEAM SMART

Carnut

WZ JUNK

Great trip to Salina to the KKOA show.  KB426 and I visited a lot and we had a great time.  I always enjoy my time with the members of the RRT.

My Chevy has a loud, irritating, noise in the drivetrain that sounds like a bad wheel bearing.  I have not been able to isolate it.  My brother and I got out of bed at 4:00 AM this morning to try to find what was wrong and fix the problem.  We were unable to find the source of the noise and we drove home with the noise but at least it did not increase.  I will work on that item more later this week.  I will find it, or I will buy a larger more powerful speaker for my music.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

idrivejunk

Figured since I was carpet posting all the threads I'd update to say I got a new battery and spent the last two and a half days making up for lost second gear scratches. Drove snot out of it, by my standards anyhow. All is well, in other words. So you don't need to fumble for the IDJ decoder ring right this moment. I always say why use just one perfectly good sentence if half a dozen will do? :)
Matt

phat46

We had our grandkids here for a while so no painting for several days, just a lot of shenanigans, but I was able to finish this one today. It's Gar Woods U 10 boat, Gar Woods lived downriver from us in the same county.

UGLY OLDS

NEAT   :!:  :!:    You have a hidden talent that is slowly sneaking out .... 8)

Any thought of putting up a small rack on the table displaying some of your work for sale at K-Zoo  :?:

I bet you would not take many home ..... 8)

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****