What are you doing today? 2018

Started by enjenjo, December 31, 2017, 03:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

416Ford

Congrats Matt for the ink, but how did you let that car out of the shop with Mustang parts on it?
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "416Ford"Congrats Matt for the ink, but how did you let that car out of the shop with Mustang parts on it?

The hood hinges are made from trunk hinges of the 40th anniversary Grand Prix GTP coupe that I flipped over and destroyed, does that count? :lol:
Matt

kb426

Matt, now the authorities know where you guys have been hiding! :) Congrats.
TEAM SMART

kb426

416ford, I had a 69 torino gt with front discs. It only had 1 valve. Elaborate on what you have and what is happening.
TEAM SMART

416Ford

We have no front brake on the car. I took the main proportioning valve apart and it was stuck at one end. When I reinstalled it the brake light was not on but we still could not pump up the brakes. Now the light is back on and no front brakes still.
Now I need to try and repair the round cylinder type one. This one is new to me and seems like it may be a pain to get it apart.
I used to be certified in brakes when I restored Mustangs and Corvettes so the older brakes should be no problem......Yea right.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

kb426

TEAM SMART

Arnold

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I am continuing with the rebuild of my just nearly finished 54 Chevy.  Sometimes it seems that I am building a whole new car one piece at a time.  I replace a relatively new part with another new part.   This week it is the rear brakes.  I have replaced nearly everything in the braking system and I still do not have rear brakes.  I will continue working on this system.  I am a master brake bleeder. :D

John

Have you had to resort to pumping  brake fluid BACK  through the bleeders. I still have the old oil can and hose I have used.

Arnold

Quote from: "kb426"416ford, I had a 69 torino gt with front discs. It only had 1 valve. Elaborate on what you have and what is happening.

I had a 68 Torino GT (front disc). 1 valve too. There used to be(maybe still around?) a little tool thinggy that held the valve in position. Rear brake lockup was so common on those systems I actually didn't find much difference when they added them. Those valves were around before discs. Biggest problem I found was that by the time that type of brake work was needed that moisture had gotten in and the little thingy was rusted/stuck with a nasty rusty mixture of brake fluid and water. The valves would stick..keep moving around as you tried to bleed. Those things were 1 piece availablilty and pretty much guaranteed line problems if you touched it. In frustration I plumbed around a few of them. Didn't make a huge difference.
 Same with abs systems. We get icy roads here from..sometimes October to end of May. Always..November to April. Lots of vehicles are just the same braking with the abs fuse pulled. GM trucks 2001-6 are renowned for the abs sensors in the wheel bearings going. Can become unsafe..hard pedal..delayed brake reaction. NO codes. Erratic signals BUT not erratic enough to set off a code. 2 of those trucks in our lane right now :roll: One of mine..fuse pull. Brakes are the same. Been like that for a long time.But the dash is all lit up pretty now :lol: Better half doesn't like that :lol: Hey..my truck :lol:
  Best thing I found were crappy old Police Cruisers :lol: The front springs were so strong that they couldn't nose dive and practically lift the rear wheels off the road during braking..causing lots of those problems in the first place. My .02

416Ford

Quote from: "kb426"416ford, I found this. I haven't read it so I can't vouch for accuracy: http://fixingthetruckagain.blogspot.com/2017/03/1969-ford-mustang-bizarre-braking.html

Does not cover the issue we are having. Car stop straight just has rear brake. Does not cover the second valve in the article.

UGLY OLDS

Dave ....Lookit your PM's ...

Bob .. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

That is a check valve. Are you sure it's installed in the right direction?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

I think that I have my brake problem fixed.  But I have to wait for a thunderstorm to pass before I road test.  I believe it was the rubber flex hose from the frame to the rear end assembly.  I had front brakes but no rear.  I had fluid to the rear and the calipers were working, but not enough to stop the wheel.  I think the hose was defective and was ballooning when you applied the brakes.  It was acting much like air trapped in the lines.  The expanding hose was absorbing the brake fluid pressure.  No way to tell, but now I have rear brakes.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

416Ford

Glad to hear it John, now it's my turn to get it figured out. I am trying the items mentioned. First item was the proportioning valve, removed the broken brake light switch that I did not remove last time.

Once I got it removed I removed the block and freed up the slide some more and installed the bad switch with a nail inserted were the contact used to be.

The check valve seams to be fine, I can blow air in one end and the brake fluid dues not go in the other end when poured in that end.
Tomorrow we blead brakes AGAIN.

kb426

416ford, is there a reason besides plumbing that you don't remove the oem valve and put one of those universal valves in and move forward? The logic being that simpler is usually better. :)
TEAM SMART