What are you doing today? 2018

Started by enjenjo, December 31, 2017, 03:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "chimp koose"crosley how is your bead roller for rigidity ? we had to weld a plate on ours at work to keep the top and bottom rollers aligned . they would walk apart side to side on big stuff. I like the steering wheel idea .

No problems yet.  I have only run some tests on 20 & 18 gauge sheet metal.  Right now I just need some straight beads run to take the "wiggle" out of the floor metal.

If I was doing some more elaborate stuff.  I would buy a nice one like the member Glen Bolz had.  It was a 24 inch deep ,  motorized unit.  Billet aluminum.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "chimp koose"crosley how is your bead roller for rigidity ? we had to weld a plate on ours at work to keep the top and bottom rollers aligned . they would walk apart side to side on big stuff. I like the steering wheel idea .

No problems yet.  I have only run some tests on 20 & 18 gauge sheet metal.  Right now I just need some straight beads run to take the "wiggle" out of the floor metal.

If I was doing some more elaborate stuff.  I would buy a nice one like the member Glen Bolz had.  It was a 24 inch deep ,  motorized unit.  Billet aluminum.

8)

Have you seen/talked to Glen lately  :?:   Just curious how he is doing & when he will be back..

His posts when he was building his race car were really something to look forward to ... 8)

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"

Have you seen/talked to Glen lately  :?:  

Bob.. :wink:

Nope.  Nothing on Glen.

Killed 3 scorpions 1 week ago...  3 more scorps killed this evening (tuesday)
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Rolled the tube to build a  wheel  for the sheet metal bead roller  tonite.

A bit larger diameter than the other wheel I had
Tony

kb426

Tony, that appears to be a H.F. roller. Did you have to modify it to get it to work properly?
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Spent some time this weekend with a good friend "Ohio Blue Tip" at the NSRA Mid America Nats.  Hot and humid but fun.

Car count was down, vendor count was down, and giveaway was less.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

John, do you think there is a reason for the car count other than economics and the weather? I hear lost of reports about car numbers but I wonder if it's temporary or the wave of the future????
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "kb426"John, do you think there is a reason for the car count other than economics and the weather? I hear lost of reports about car numbers but I wonder if it's temporary or the wave of the future????

There are not as many old people as there was in the past.

Our hobby is slowly dieing but the pace is picking up.  We have been very lucky to have the life and the experiences we have had.  The generations that have followed us do not share the same intrest and passions.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Crosley.In.AZ

Welded up this wheel for the bead roller.  Not perfect , a little side wiggle in it.  :lol:

Saturday:  we  had a steak dinner out...  45th wedding anniversary celebration

Sunday: at breakfast we are chatting. She wears a ring I bought her for the 40th anniversary.  She had that ring at the jeweler on saturday for a cleaning & check up deal. Then she tells me she bought a necklace with the type of stones that our son liked. All I said was : that is nice.  Interesting how wisdom kicks in and you know to not ask stupid questions like the price on the necklace.
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"Tony, that appears to be a H.F. roller. Did you have to modify it to get it to work properly?

It is a Harbor freight rolller.  I added shims to the roller axles to keep the rollers in alignment with each other.

Is there something else I need to modify?  I have used it 3 times is all.

I have looked at SWAG tools parts they produce for this roller
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"
There are not as many old people as there was in the past.

Our hobby is slowly dieing but the pace is picking up.  We have been very lucky to have the life and the experiences we have had.  The generations that have followed us do not share the same intrest and passions.

John

I agree.  The car hobby we know is shrinking.

Drag racing attendance out here is way down for years.  The spectator count is very small any more.  Although the NHRA event still draws a large crowd, even with the large  ticket price and parking cost
Tony

kb426

Tony, I made a brace out of 2 x 2" square tubing for one side of mine. I rolled 16 gauge for the tailgate and sides on a 32. Without the braces, the rollers shifted because of the increase in load pressure. That took care of that situation. Most of what I had done was the tin work on dragsters using .050" alum. The original design was fine for that. Mine is a Lowbuck tools that I bought sometime in the early 80's.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Spent some time this weekend with a good friend "Ohio Blue Tip" at the NSRA Mid America Nats.  Hot and humid but fun.

Car count was down, vendor count was down, and giveaway was less.

John

This explains how the Bicayne did up there :(
Matt

kb426

Went to Memorial Day services in Garden City. I think the spectator count might have been up from the past year. That is encouraging. Very nice weather for the trip and services. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Thursday evening.  Killed 6 scorpions out in the yard  tonite.
Tony