What are you doing today? 2018

Started by enjenjo, December 31, 2017, 03:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

That visit went fine.  8)  Glad to know our hero isn't seven feet tall, that should make seats easier. :idea:

Even better idea... how bout lets open an international kiosk-based T fender exchange franchise so all of us can get in on this action. :lol: That could be a reason to keep your shady spot all day at the events plus play panelbeater to look cool and attract attention. :wink:
Matt

Beck

I'm finishing loading my trailer today for a garden tractor pull in Waterloo IA on Fri and Sat. It is scheduled to be a painful weekend for me for 2 reasons.
1) I messed up a knee again on Sat. Been to the Dr. I got the typical aging/arthritis answer. He says the meniscus is torn, but arthritis is the #1 issue. My tractor doesn't have reverse so I have to push it backward. The turning radius is big so each turn is pull forward, get off and push backward.
2) I have been getting spanked pretty badly at the competitions. I keep stepping up my game. Hopefully I will eventually catch up. It's been 2 months since the last pull and I have done a lot of updates. The competition is fierce.

If I hadn't have been working on it so much I would have stayed home this weekend. Being Easter weekend I need to drive home on Sat after the event. It will be early Easter before I get back.

enjenjo

I would really like it if you would do some detail shots of that tractor. It look very interesting.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

Wow...that's quite a haul for you. No pulls closer?

Nice tractor, btw.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Beck

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Wow...that's quite a haul for you. No pulls closer?
Nothing in IL. I travel to IA, KY, TN, IN. Most of the guys with these are willing to make the drive for the competitions.
There will be guys in Iowa from Canada and Colorado. Several from TN and KY making the drive too.

Enjenjo, Is there anything in particular you want to see? Or just some general shots?

The next one is getting that 4 cylinder I have been posting about for a couple of years. It is still a work in progress.

enjenjo

QuoteEnjenjo, Is there anything in particular you want to see? Or just some general shots?

I want to see every thing! :D  What ever you think is interesting. I like to see how problems are solved.

kb426

The garden tractor class always interested me. I want details also. :)
TEAM SMART

Beck

I will try to get some pics at the pull this weekend - before I brake it.
There are lots of ideas I would like to pass along to everyone here on the RRT, and ask advice..... but I don't want my competition seeing it...haaaaa.
There are a lot of new things being experimented with in this class. It isn't a cookie cutter class.

kb426, your probably familiar with the "50 cube class". Their motors are based on the 16 hp Kohler singles. They are all aftermarket parts now, even the blocks. Motor prices are approaching $10k. Another class that is coming on strong is the V-twin class. Those are based on the newer Kohler twins. Both these classes still look like garden tractors and use the Cub Cadet chassis and transaxles. There is a billet "Kohler V-twin" that runs against the big motorcycle motors like mine. It is tough! It's said there is $16k in that motor. There are many lesser classes than these that are very affordable. They will all be pulled this weekend. There are already over 300 pre-entries.

WZ JUNK

We are continuing work on the upholstery for the 54 Chevy.  Unfortunately not only are we learning upholstery, but also how to operate and repair an upholstery sewing machine.  I now know a whole lot more about these machines than I wanted to learn.  The first seat back cover went on late this afternoon. Tomorrow we will tighten it up a little more, and then sew up the bottom cover.

Both bucket seats are symmetrical.  Not only the right and left seat side panels but the seat covers are the same for the right and left seats.  I was very pleasantly surprised to find that I did not need to make a lot of patterns.  The top and bottom center sections are rectangular.  All the panels are notched at the seams with witness marks.  All of these features helped a lot.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

idrivejunk

That upholstery looks real nice, John.

I used to enjoy watching tractor pulls and even had a friend into riding mower racing way back when... but I did not know little pull tractors are a thing. Its awesome! I need some vids to watch so I can get an earful.

Honda fan at work slapped the turbo stuff on his RSX's DC5 finally last weekend and is babying it until he can trailer it a couple hours each way for a $700 tune. :shock: It sounds better already! :wink:
Matt

Beck

Quote from: "idrivejunk"I need some vids to watch so I can get an earful.

This is the 1250# class that doesn't allow auto style engines. The Wisconsin boys like there 2 stroke snowmobile motors. This was at the Iowa State Fair grounds. It is a VERY short track. It isn't as good of a show to watch as the standard length tracks. This event has been moved to Waterloo, IA this year. That is the one I'm headed to. I run with the guy at the 2:50 time. That is a 1000cc Kawasaki. He just retired that chassis. The motor will be in a fresh one this weekend.  The tractor at the 8:16 mark is the 2 cylinder billet Kohler motor I spoke of earlier.

This is the 1350# class. Now the car motors are mixed into the class. The sled operator had the sled a little heavy making it really tough to get a good run. The end tractors have run prior in this class. There were 2 heats to qualify for the finals. That is their finals runs. 4:10 is a blown VW, 4:17 is my buddy again on his other tractor, a turbo 1400 Kawasaki. HP isn't everything because he makes a bunch, 7:25 and 7:55 is that billet Kohler V-twin again, 5:50 & 7:59 is a Busa, 6:09 is a little 600cc, 5:35 and 6:18 are both 2300 Fords, 5:20  is a 750 cc Suzuki.

My tractor has a Hayabusa motor on it. The factory rev limiter is set at 11500. Mine has just gotten bumped another 500. Some of the guys in this event were running 750cc motors. Those have 14500 rev limiters that have been bumped up. We do spend time on the rev limiter. I don't know how many rpm those 2 strokes are running. The car motors seem to be really low rpm after listening to the motorcycles. Most of the car motors are turning at or near 8000 rpm.

Just found another from the same club. I have never been to this one. You can see what a longer track does.

idrivejunk

Man :!:  :shock:  Those things are ferocious! Thanks for posting. To me it looks like all the elements for big fun are there, minus perhaps some pure awe that the big ones strike. The cost of participating must be much less than those but boyoboy yeah, no slack on competition. Sure, I'd rather see long track with only a few full pulls but indoors makes it all season and you get to watch from closer.

Enjoyed the vids, I cranked speakers.  );b(
Matt

UGLY OLDS

WOW   :shock:  :shock:    Those are unreal  :!:   talk about a "balzillion " RPM... :!:  :shock:

What is the lifespan on those engines  :?:

Imagine the feeling when you need to slow down or stop as a few guys did so you don't go too far ... 8)  8)  :lol:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

sirstude

Just got home from having a cyst removed from my back.  No pain yet, but probably coming  soon.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

I broke a tooth last week. I had it pulled today. Next step is a bridge.