Am I crazy for being upset...

Started by 1FATGMC, September 27, 2004, 06:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

Once or twice a week I'll have someone e-mail me with questions about 700R4's or something else that is on my site like how to chop the top on their pickup.  I try and give them help and often spend 10 minutes or so typing out an answer to them.  About 50% of the time I get a reply with a thanks or more questions or both.  The rest of the time they don't even have the courtesy to hit the "reply" button and say thanks.

Yesterday I got the following:

Quotehello ,my  name is Rob .my girlfriend i are thinking of building a tear drop from her utility trailer, ive been doing some reasearch and found your teardrop i like the truck and teardrop it is very nice id like to ask u some questions in how  u built the teardrop get some hints so i can try my hand at it. hey thanks give us a call 860-482-4129 where in torrington CT

Now this one takes the cake.  I have dozens of pages on my site on how I made my teardrop and this guy expects me to call him on my dime and help him out with who knows what.  I'm hoping some of you will take the time to call him and spend a couple minutes chatting with him and his wife  :twisted: .

I fianlly took off a lot of pictures I had on my site about local Anasazi Ruins because even though I asked people not to ask me for instructions on how to find them they would still show up in person at the store and ask anyway.

So, am I being overly sensitive about this or not?  Tony I don't know how you manage with all the transmission questions you must get.  

c ya, Sum

Bib_Overalls

Call him collect and if he accepts the charges provide him with exhaustive answers to his questions.  Leave him hanging at least once while you fix a snack and take a pee. HA!
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

OldSub

Quote from: "1FATGMC"So, am I being overly sensitive about this or not?

It would irritate me.  I often get email responses to my web site asking where to find some part for an old Suburban.

I now reply with a list of links and invite them to look for themselves.  I think all the links in the list are also on my web site.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

EMSjunkie

It would irritate me.

Bet you don't get spit on, hit, slapped, or have body fluids of every sort thrown at you on a daily basis!!
next time you see one, thank your local Firefighters and Paramedics.
it sure helps make things worth while

I'm not looking for sympathy, just to let you know things could be alot worse. we live in a Wal-Mart society, people expect you to solve their problems for them, usually problems that have taken weeks, even years to fester, people expect you to fix them right now. and usually get P-O'd
when you can't.  AMEN BROTHER!!!!

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

GPster

Somebody this morning made a crack about the fact that a lot of people had read a subject on this forum but had not offered any response. He got informed that no one had any useful information and that is why none was given. Well I don't have any useful information but I feel for you. GPster

enjenjo

I get a lot of tech questions by Email, asking for solutions. About half the time, I send a reply, and get it returned because" this person is not accepting Email from this address" Kind of a pain, because I spent the time to compose a reply.

Then there are the questions that defy answer. Like "Where can I find a roadster?". Or "why won't my car start?". That's all I got, no details. Or the ones requiring a book to answer. "How do I section a Honda"
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

47wood

Send him an email that says "...you should have been on the site last week.  We gave away 10 tear drop trailers but had trouble finding 10 people who wanted them.  We may do it again next year.  In the meantime we are just too busy to make calls but all the info and pictures you'll need is on the web site.  Good Luck."  LOL    :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

unklian

I used to think being a Nice Guy had to be it's own reward.

But sometimes that isn't enough,
when you go out of your way to help someone,
and end up putting out more effort in the project than they do.
They want someone to do the research,hard work and preparation.
Then change their mind on a whim.

And when you need a favor,all they have is Bull$h*t excuses.

A wise man once said:
" I don't mind helping you,but I'm not going to do it for you." :idea:

Now you know why I'm not working on other peoples stuff any more.

58 Yeoman

QuoteAnd when you need a favor,all they have is Bull$h*t excuses.

Now you know why I'm not working on other peoples stuff any more.

Amen.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

purplepickup

Sumner, you're just a generous guy that is always willing to help people and that's a good thing....the world needs more of people like you.  Instead, we get a bunch of "ME WANT" people who don't appreciate or respect generosity and that's a bad thing.

Well, now that you have his phone number you might as well use it.  Everytime an internet registration asks for a number you can use it and be sure to check the boxes that say that it is ok to call anytime day or nite.  If you need an address for the registrations to go with that number you can look  here.  

Of course only a "tired of being taken advantage, fed up with users, don't get no respect" knd of guy would think of doing such a thing :roll:
George

Crosley.In.AZ

Sum,

welcome to my world.  :shock:

My intent here with this post  is not to PO some folks off, this is reality:

Some of the questions I get are interesting.  After I respond, then more questions come in.

Often it is obvious to me the person should not be allowed to own tools , much less work on the internals of a tranny.  Some of my web pages used to have the phrase : " if you cannot perform these simple tasks as I outline them, sell your car & tools"  :shock:  That upset some folks!

Sometimes I get the question : " tell me everything I need to know to rebuild (insert type)  tranny".  My response is :" buy a book on that tranny and a TransGo shift kit".

I have thought of removing my email from my web pages to a "email rule " page.... :)  I imagine my rule page would be tooo long. Most folks probably would not read the rules anyway.

People email me with BAD email addys, or offer a different email to respond to. IF I can not hit "reply" and send an answer, they get nothing.

I have found that most people cannot describe the symptoms of the tranny.  I have a set of questions I have to ask to diagnose the problem. If I get unsure / incomplete  answers , I tell them to find a good tranny guy.

I would put the "thanks" email  I receive at 60%
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

slocrow

In a word Sum, NO. Though you are way to sheltered from the real world and the rude, crude and inconsiderate people that now inhabit this planet. That beautiful oasis called Blanding in that far away area called Utah is hardly representative of the fast paced, media driven state most who respond or place inquires to you, now live.
Actually you're response is pretty feed up normal. Look how just reading about your incident has caused the mild mannered RRT preacher to suggest some incidental trifling........Frank :lol:
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

purplepickup

Quote from: "slocrow"Look how just reading about your incident has caused the mild mannered RRT preacher to suggest some incidental trifling........Frank :lol:
Preacher???.....I got your trifle right here, Vette Boy :twisted:

Love,
Mild mannered truckboy :wink:
George

Kerry

It seems to me it all comes down to respect.  There seems to be a lot less of it around these days.  We continually are trying to teach our kids respect for others but this culture we live in these days is all about self instead of others.  Sad.

Before I ask anyone any questions I do my homework and try to solve it myself. If I truly am stuck, then I'll ask.  It sorta bums me out that the lack of respect by some sours folks and messes things up for others.

Carps

Quote from: "purplepickup"Sumner, you're just a generous guy that is always willing to help people and that's a good thing....the world needs more of people like you.

May I please second this opinion?

QuoteInstead, we get a bunch of "ME WANT" people who don't appreciate or respect generosity and that's a bad thing.

Sadly, we may be much to blame for this, or at least our generation, because that's what we taught our kids.  

I get a few of this type of email too and generally respond with a request for more information.  The genuine people usually respond accordingly and with thanks.  Thus they get whatever assistance i can provide.  The others get no mor than the request for more information.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.