Saddle tanks

Started by chimp koose, November 30, 2017, 04:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

OK , I am rethinking my fuel tank situation and am now considering saddle tanks . I would like to have useable trunk space . If I use non vented gas caps and run the vent to the opposite end , bottom of the tank there should be no drain issues ????? Has anyone used them and what plus or minus could you tell me of ?I will run a series of baffles and I have robust running board mounts so load bearing should not be an issue . Also the car sits with a 4degree rake  so the front edge of the tank should always be low ( except up a steep grade )

kb426

I'm guessing you are running carb(s) and not efi so a pump sump is not an issue. Everything I have done for decades has a non'vented cap and a roll-over valve or just a vent hose that is higher than the tank. Are you planning on running a valve to select tanks or having a combining hose?
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

which is better ? I will use an electric fuel pump , maybe one for each tank . Not sure just what to do or if I should do saddles or not . opinions please

kb426

Because I live hours away from everything, capacity is important. If you're going to drive hundreds of miles, put on the saddle tanks. If not, you can always have a trailer to pull to carry stuff while the trunk is full of fuel. Have you checked out Tanks site for model a tanks? Might find enough info to make the decision.
TEAM SMART

Arnold

Couldn't resist. Had a 1/2 ton with Factory "Hi-Perf. Psgr" (454) cast in the block. 2-20 gallon tanks. If I ran it hard I could get LESS than 80 (EIGHTY) miles per tank :shock:  :twisted:  :lol:

chimp koose

I'll check the tanks site . Had occasion once to run out of fuel in a semi that had saddle tanks . There was plenty of fuel in the one tank but because of the slope in the road it drained one tank and we ran out .Had to prime the pump to get going on the other tank . I am wondering about the supply to a front pick up tank if I am going up a steep grade with a low tank . Maybe I just think too much ? I have to use electric fuel pump or pumps as there is no room for mechanical in my car .

enjenjo

Quote from: "chimp koose"I'll check the tanks site . Had occasion once to run out of fuel in a semi that had saddle tanks . There was plenty of fuel in the one tank but because of the slope in the road it drained one tank and we ran out .Had to prime the pump to get going on the other tank . I am wondering about the supply to a front pick up tank if I am going up a steep grade with a low tank . Maybe I just think too much ? I have to use electric fuel pump or pumps as there is no room for mechanical in my car .

If you use multiple pumps you have to use check valves in the lines, or a selector valve to keep the fuel from pumping to the other tank. You could use one pump to supply the engine from one tank, and a second smaller pump to transfer the fuel to the primary tank from the second one as needed. I would seriously consider a return line system considering the characteristics of fuel now days. The refineries do not consider vapor pressure any more because of fuel injection, and many carburetors can suffer vapor lock more easily without a return line.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

I am thinking that eventually I may go to the FITech  injection system and an OD trans so a return line would be a good idea . I first need to complete a running car and THEN I will start modifying it further . I need to make sure the fuel system will pass NHRA tech as well since I will need a place to test the nitrous  :D

chimp koose

My hope is that when done I can hop in and drive for hours without a fuel stop . My Anglia had an 11 gallon tank . I want at least 16gallons or more in this one .

kb426

16 x 231 cubic inches per gallon = 3696 /144 = 25.6 cu. ft . The Tanks model A tanks are listed as 7 gallon per side for a 29. Sounds like this won't get your desired result.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"16 x 231 cubic inches per gallon = 3696 /144 = 25.6 cu. ft . The Tanks model A tanks are listed as 7 gallon per side for a 29. Sounds like this won't get your desired result.

What is that in Hogs heads?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

If you're talking beer, it's 1/4 hogshead. If wine, it's a smidgen less. :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

t frame is much narrower than an A. nearly 11 inches from frame to running board . bottom of  running board to under side of car over 9  inches . running board 43 inches long . I am looking at how I could make them so that they could be removed easily .

chimp koose

12x12x12 for cubic feet ballpark of just over 2 cubic feet for 16 gallons. I could make 2 tanks at 7x9x34 and be close .

kb426

Just in case you need this, that 91 f150 had dual tanks. The switch controlled the pumps and sending units but the switching valve was fairly large. It would be real difficult to hide on a rod. There surely is something better on all these late model trucks.
TEAM SMART