Fraud on credit cards

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, November 11, 2017, 10:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Just a reminder :

I hope you folks watch your accounts and statements.

My card was hit with a popular fraudulent  PayPal charge.  It is not from PayPal , the scammers use various company names.

if you find a charge you suspect; google search it.  I did this and a large amount of information is out there on it.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

butch27

Thanks --I order lots of parts from different  companies,...

Crosley.In.AZ

It has been a couple years since my last fraud situation on my card...

Talking to "my" bank security person with a deep off shore accent... We went thru security questions that you answer on your profile.

Then: he started asking me what I label: "test questions",

Former addresses.  We have lived here for 18+ years.  I told him I dont remember former addresses.

Next one was: I thought he was (deep accent)  asking me what color my Nissan Ultima was. I told him I dont own a Nissan

He asked me my last work position for ##### :  A company I have never heard of. I told him I have never worked for that company

Next one was about who my  Auto loan was with and the payment amount. I told him I dont know the amount, it is auto pay and the loan company was none of his business. He persisted on the auto loan amount

At that point I was getting whizzed off and told him that.

So, my card was cancelled, new card on the way because my card has been compromised.  I refrained from calling him Captain Obvious.

:shock:
Tony

kb426

I've had 3 new cards in the last year. These all have the chip that was supposed to be better. Almost always, there's a charge from something in Europe. Sometimes they call and tell me my card is pulled and a new one is on the way. They never tell me what happened. I just figure it's the way it is now. I check my account every couple of days.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"I've had 3 new cards in the last year. These all have the chip that was supposed to be better. Almost always, there's a charge from something in Europe. Sometimes they call and tell me my card is pulled and a new one is on the way. They never tell me what happened. I just figure it's the way it is now. I check my account every couple of days.

I've had it both ways.  Credit card compy calls me & I call them.  The Harbor Freight fiasco couple yrs ago.  My bank called me, told me new cards were on the way.  I prefer that method,  simpler than what I went thru saturday

This one yesterday  was a charge from PayPal Tire n Tint for 1.98 ...  I  had no idea PayPal had an Auto store.

Freind of mine from high school... about 4 yrs ago. Noticed a 11.98 dollar charge on her statement.  she asked her husband: he says ... nope.

Turns out her deal  was from Russia and had been on their account for several months.
Tony

chimp koose

I had an email the other day from royal bank of Canada telling me there was a freeze on my online account and requiring me to log in and clear it up . I have never in my life had an RBC account . someone out there fishing I guess.

kb426

Most of the charges I've had, haven't been large. My thought was the thief thought if it was small, it would go un-noticed. However, how about they wait a month or two and if it doesn't get caught, they hit the account for a large charge and vanish. You have 30 days to report so unless you go on a long vacation to somewhere with no services, you should catch it.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

We seem to be getting a lot of the "IRS Scam" calls ...I let them go through their complete spiel & then tell them .....
 " Boy-O-Boy...Am I happy you called ...I want you get help me find my lost refund from 2 years ago " .. :shock:

Crickets...Click.... :idea:  :roll:  :lol:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

lofat46

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"We seem to be getting a lot of the "IRS Scam" calls ...I let them go through their complete spiel & then tell them .....
 " Boy-O-Boy...Am I happy you called ...I want you get help me find my lost refund from 2 years ago " .. :shock:

Bob, I love it!  I sometimes like to string them along until they get P.O.'d and hang up on me.  About 4 years ago we noticed a charge of of $5.98 showed up on our statement for about 3  months.  When checked it was a charge in Japan for some sort of on-line video game account.  My bank has also replaced cards for me at least 3 times in the last 5 years due to erroneous charges.  I got mixed up in the Home Depot fiasco a couple years ago.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"We seem to be getting a lot of the "IRS Scam" calls ...I let them go through their complete spiel & then tell them .....

I've received many of the bogus "local" phone scam callers...  They use a fake number that is the same as your area code and the first 3 digits of your phone number.

If I decide to answer the phone,  which is seldom: These guys will ask If I am the home owner.  I tell them "you have reached Amway.  Would you like to place your Amway order? ""  They hang up

:twisted:
Tony

idrivejunk

I file credit cards under "Why would anyone want that?" and only answer calls from known contacts. My own number has called me twice. I answered once to see if I was trying to get a hold of myself. :lol:
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

In typical "Customer service"  fashion :

I received the new card monday after noon... UPS express mail.

Monday nite late or early tuesday morning. I receive an email telling me the express envelope would arrive soon.   :lol:
Tony

58 Yeoman

I got an email from Discover this am about a charge on my card from HP HPCOM for $1.00.  I called the Discover number and talked with an agent. Answered a couple questions, and a new card is on its way.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Carps

If you are the bank why do you need to call me to find out my account number?

I figure it's linked to my name and this phone number that you've used to call me.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Charlie Chops 1940

My bank tells me they will never send me an email or call me to "re-activate" or "confirm" my account. When I get emails like that I forward them to my banks spoof reporting email.

I get 3 or 4 of these type emails a week from banks I don't have an account with. They are fishing for your information...if you give it to them they can enter by the front door.

The new deal with your area code and small towns in it are just another way of trying to get you to answer the phone so they can try out their latest scam. I get so many calls during prime time that I'm considering unplugging the phone from 3PM to 10PM.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!