Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

Thank You Carps for the photos & travelog .... 8)  8)  );b(

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

chimp koose

Thanks for the post carps. I am in your second picture of the crowd at the opening ceremonies. I am the guy in a hat and sunglasses with a grey moustache  :lol: This was my first trip . I heard that more cars spun in the first day than in all of last years event . We spun in the short course at the same place as you , just before the 3 mile .we also sustained front end damage on the road out to the course I think the long wheelbase cars did better out there . I plan on going next year and would like to meet up with anyone from here that will be going . I am with an A fuel roadster . we stayed at the nugget this time but are looking into staying at a place about 15 miles out towards salt lake city next year . I may have found a cure for my drag racing addiction .

Carps

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Any idea how badly the coupe was wounded yet?
Hi Charlie, Gary informs me there's a big hole in the block but the engine is still in the car so he won't know the extent of the damage until he's in the right frame of mind to pull it out and look closer.
We do hope the camshaft isn't hurt as it's a very rare piece and the secret to the engines power.
Whilst the engine has huge ports, the valve train uses all old ford stuff with very large valves.  Most of the flatty racers use roller lifters and a bunch of late/new tech stuff ending up with a very heavy valve train, this one is light and lets the engine rev like a modern engine.  It sounds more like a top fuel Hemi than a flathead, which is what surprises people when they hear it first then see the heads.

Quote from: "chimp koose"Thanks for the post carps. I am in your second picture of the crowd at the opening ceremonies. I am the guy in a hat and sunglasses with a grey moustache  :lol:
Hi Chimp, you just described almost everybody in the crowd.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  The guy in the middle front of frame is Stu, who is a member of our team.  I'm thinking you're in the hat with lotsa badges on it and a camera around your neck?
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

idrivejunk

Thanks for sharing salt tales, gents! 8)
Matt

58 Yeoman

Thanks for the pix and story Carps. Are you in any of the pix?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Rrumbler

Yeah, thanks for the stories and pics, Gents.  Sorry that nice engine got hurt, but glad no people were, other than emotionally; I'd be sort of upset at having my baby banged up.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

chimp koose

Good try Carps , but not me . Anyone else want to guess ? This could be the speed week version of find Waldo !

Carps

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Are you in any of the pix?
2nd from right of frame standing in front of the trailer at Jerry's place.

3rd from right of frame in crew shot on the lake.

My shoulder is just visible in the van shot of the sleeping beauties.

In all the others, I'm behind the camera.
Carps

Carps

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Are you in any of the pix?
2nd from right of frame standing in front of the trailer at Jerry's place.

3rd from right of frame in crew shot on the lake.

My shoulder is just visible in the van shot of the sleeping beauties.

In all the others, I'm behind the camera.

Quote from: "chimp koose"Good try Carps , but not me . Anyone else want to guess ? This could be the speed week version of find Waldo !
With so many great whiskers in that frame it'll be tough. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

How about third person on that guys left, wearing a cream/off white baseball cap?
Carps

purplepickup

Thanks so much for the pics and narrative guys. It's a special place.

Here's a video clip of a yet to be made documentary that Hooley sent some of us about the fortitude of the men that race at Bonneville.
http://theworldsfastestfilm.com/pages/the-documentary
George

chimp koose

Carps , getting closer but not him.

Carps

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Thanks for the pix and story Carps. Are you in any of the pix?
Waaaay off in the background almost a direct line from that guy, and you're wearing a blue and teal/green checked shirt with button down collar?

Or slightly to my right wearing a safety vest with the entrant badge on the front of your floppy hat?
Carps

Carps

Quote from: "purplepickup"Thanks so much for the pics and narrative guys. It's a special place.
Thanks for the link George, I spoke to a few members of the video team as they were there shooting this year.
Great bunch of people who have a real feel for what they are doing, confirmed by that video clip.

Cant wait to see the finished product now.
Carps

chimp koose

Nope , but closer to the other two guys you guessed and I do have my badge on my hat.

bucketmouth

Thanks for the write up Carps it was second best to being there.
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.