Electric cars on a long road trip

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, June 17, 2017, 09:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I took a few days off work.  Took a motorcycle ride up to my retirement property near Show Low AZ.

Then rode up to Holbrook AZ for lunch.  Holbrook is near the I-40 freeway. Actually very close, I-40 runs thru Holbrook.

Stopped at a Burger King... ate.  Walked out, then notice charging stations for Tesla cars.  Behind the wooden fence enclosure.  There are to be a couple of large electric power boxes.

just seems odd place for charging stations.  Although, if traveling across the I-40 in a Tesla. the Car will need to re-fuel at some point.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

There is a McDonald's on Knoxville Ave in Peoria, IL that has 2 charging stations in the parking lot. I think I"ll carry an extension cord in my truck so I can park there...it's closer to the doors than the other spots. :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Charlie Chops 1940

Electric cars on a long road trip....are an oxymoron.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

kb426

Anybody know what it costs to charge up?
Tony, is that a bare hunk of ground or do you have something on it?
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"Anybody know what it costs to charge up?
Tony, is that a bare hunk of ground or do you have something on it?

As I recall (LOL) .. Owning a Tesla, you receive some "free charge time" on a Tesla Charge station. Do not recall how much time.

Property We own (2 acres)  is bare with added trees. Utility services to property
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Electric cars on a long road trip....are an oxymoron.

Need to agree with you on that.  Although Tesla seems to get better miles per charge than other cars.

Also:  We have some Tesla cars in my area.  Tesla must send the new car owners to the BWM Drive like an A**hole School... each Tesla driver I see , likes to cut people off , drive like an idiot in heavy traffic.

We have a few Nissan Leaf cars in the area too..
Tony

purplepickup

Quote from: "Crosley"
Property We own (2 acres)  is bare with added trees. Utility services to property
Any scorpions?
George

butch27

I saw some of the stations around Scottsdale.

Rrumbler

A long road trip might be chancy; you would need to plan your route to accommodate the need to charge up.  One son has a Ford hybrid, says it gets about half way between L.A. and Las Vegas before it kicks over to the internal combustion to run the car, so that is only a couple hundred miles on a charge, on that one.

My local library here in Vegas has a parking lot, about thirty spaces, exclusive for electric and hybrid cars; the thing is empty, or nearly so most of the time.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "Crosley"
Any scorpions?

I have not been there in the dark with a UV light.  Plenty of AZ prairie dogs tho. They were very active wednesday I was there. Couple of them were already sail prairie dogs in the neighborhood
Tony

idrivejunk

Road pizza, yum! If those plug-in cars came with a pedal powered generator, I might think mankind was advancing.
Matt

enjenjo

Tesla charging stations have a "turbo" mode that will charge the battery fully in 20 minutes. Tesla is negotiating with some states to install charging stations in highway rest areas. In exchange the state would get power for the rest area.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Mikej

The quick charge only get you half a charge in 20 minutes. Tesla's range is about 240 miles. No gas back up. you would need to plan your trips. The 200 mile range would drop quick if you drive like an idiot. I thought you could charge for free at the recharge station. You pay extra up front. I have a Volt and would never charge if I had to pay at a station. Plus it would take 4 plus hours. I do like the Volt but its expensive. Its just a car for me not a way of life like a lot of Volt owners.

enjenjo

QuoteThe quick charge only get you half a charge in 20 minutes.

How about if you do it twice? :D  My mistake.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

We have a Tesla charging station here, small town, but we are an international border crossing, with two major expressways ending at the border. The charging station is at a Double Tree hotel that is right on the water at the border, an upscale place. I guess they figured that the Tesla drivers crossing the border could stop and stay at the hotel and charge their vehicles, of at least eat at the fancy restaurant while the car charged. I know when the put the charging station in it was free to use it. I have seen a few cars there, but it has about ten station, never seen more than two in use at once. I did see a wrecked Tesla a couple blocks from my house, the driver went about halfway around a corner, then up over the curb and onto a front lawn. The front end was a mess and the wheels were pointing different directions. I'm thinking...hmmm, you just wrecked your Tesla in a little town in Michigan, now what? They can't even sell them in Michigan! 😀