Cheap Tires?

Started by Arnold, May 22, 2017, 12:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

As in MAYBE too cheap :roll:
Used to be you got what you paid for..not no more. I find lots of cheap stuff that is great..much more expensive/competitively whatever priced stuff that is just garbage

Michelin LTX MS 10 ply tires for my truck are close to $300 here. That is just what they cost
SOoo.. I happen to be in Wally..my eyes sort of bug out when I see ONE. It is $50 installed :lol: It is NOT a Michelin. I look pretty close..even the finer details are pretty much the same. Sure was heavy! Either this thing was made by Michelin..OR there was patent licence to make it the same..OR there was patent violation. I doubt that at Wally.
I bring in my own Michelin LTX MS..the tire guy and I agree they are the same tire. I even tape measured the circumference
Comes with full warranty! Pretty good too! I have bought tires at Wally before and been happy.
There were 2 so I bought them.

I dunno..I have bought cheap tires at Wally..and snow tires for cars..NOT a HD 10 ply truck tire (ya..E load 80psi tires)

I did a quick Google..Autoguard. I think this is a badged different Michelin or Michelin makes them for Walmart. I cannot see an outfit like Walmart messing around with something like a tire like this.

I dunno..it is 1/6 the price of a Michelin! Somein' aint adding up. I gotta trust this thing on my 6700lb EMPTY truck??

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

butch27

Good info to know.

58 Yeoman

I don't know about your tire, but I've been reading online about guys buying parts in the white boxes at the parts stores, only to find a name brand item inside the box for less money than the name branded box. Could it be the same with tires?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Canuck

What are the manufacturer/plant location code in the DOT label on the tires?  S/B the first two letters and/or numbers after the word DOT?

I have a listing here that may show that info, although it is from 2001.  Tire dealers may have a more up to date version.

Can't seem to post it as part of a reply, only 800 plus lines of data.

Canuck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

Arnold

Quote from: "Canuck"What are the manufacturer/plant location code in the DOT label on the tires?  S/B the first two letters and/or numbers after the word DOT?

I have a listing here that may show that info, although it is from 2001.  Tire dealers may have a more up to date version.

Can't seem to post it as part of a reply, only 800 plus lines of data.

Canuck

Thanks..
  I do not have that info handy.
  I would not again trust pretty much any manufacturers of anything to tell the truth on labeling/stamping etc about their stuff.
  About all I would trust is if it did not say manufactured in a reputable area..it probably wasn't :lol:

I remember when car batteries were manufactured all over the world. (They are now) Problem was when they did say that they were manufactured all over the world..different manufacturers..etc.,ETC..there were 3..three companies that actually made car batteries.

Allens apple products many years ago said "Made In Canada". ALL they were legally required to say was that that was written On the label. BECAUSE ONLY the label was actually made in Canada..the rest..China.

I used to buy dirt cheap brake rotors..there was a paper in the box that said "May require machining before use" :twisted:  at least they were honest :lol:

Yesterday I did go to another Walmart to buy 2 more of those tires..they THAT location were online as selling tires..having a tire.lube facility..tires on sale etc.,ETC., Several employees..including customer service..2 people there..told me

"Walmart does not sell tires"..3 of the employees told me to go to Canadian Tire.. :lol:

When I told my better half that she asked if I needed to lay down on the couch :roll:

WHO :?: needs beer :shock:

kb426

Wow! Glad those aren't my employees. :)
TEAM SMART

Arnold

Quote from: "kb426"Wow! Glad those aren't my employees. :)

I just went to another Wally and got some more tires :lol:

Harry

The cheaper tires may be a harder compound, wear longer but not good for stopping fast and not good in the rain.
I bought Firestone tires from Wally in Hamilton, Ont. They have an "R" in front of Firestone. Something about being made for Wally.

Old Blue

Sometimes the tires sold at cheap prices are blems,  small defects in manufacture but still safe.