Going to Bonneville finally . . .

Started by av8, September 22, 2004, 09:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

av8

. . . and getting paid for it!

Vern Tardel has a contract to wrangle the vintage vehicles (20) for a motion picture location "shoot." The working title for the movie is "Burt Munro -- World's Fastest Indian."

Burt Munro was a kiwi -- a New Zealander from Invercargill on the south end of South Island, who bought a new Indian motorcycle in 1920 and spent the better part of his life modifying and racing it. Burt caught salt fever on his first trip to Bonneville in the '50s and raced there most years from then on until 1967 when he set a 1000cc record of 186 mph and change, with exit speeds exceeding 190 mph -- on a 1920 Indian!

Rather than take up a lot of space here, here's a good link to learn more about Burt . . .

http://www.indianmotorbikes.com/features/munro/munro.htm

I had the good fortune to meet and interview Burt in 1967 when I was at Cycle World magazine.  He was a very special and interesting man, one of the more memorable characters I've met in motorsports. So, this is a sort of special karmic opportunity for me, to be even a small part of the movie about Burt.

I'm one of the vehicle wranglers working on Tardel's crew and my F-1 will be on of the vehicles. Best part is that we -- the F-1 and I -- get paid for our time, which is a guaranteed 10 days, although the shoot probably won't take that long if the weather is decent.

The vehicles will be loaded on the transporters early next week and we'll head out at the end of the week in a short bus that's being provided for us. I'll take lots of pics and promise a full narrative when I get back.

Charlie Chops 1940

Thanks for the heads up Mike. Sounds like that will be an interesting time. Don't go getting the big head....looking forward to your taped reports!

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Cword

We got a call a couple weeks ago about that gig.  Darn near made us say * the torpedos and come down, to take in World Finals as well.  

Then after a couple days we all realized we're broke and out of holiday time.

I'll be looking forward to hearing about the event from your perspective Mike

Mike
someday I'll have time and cash for these extra excursions
--

av8

Quote from: "Cword"We got a call a couple weeks ago about that gig.  Darn near made us say * the torpedos and come down, to take in World Finals as well.  

Then after a couple days we all realized we're broke and out of holiday time.

I'll be looking forward to hearing about the event from your perspective Mike

Mike
someday I'll have time and cash for these extra excursions

Don Sr. and his crowd were asked to participate, and I guess some of the SLC area folks will be on hand, but Don said no way was he going to miss the CHRR.

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

av8

Quote from: "Crosley"bout time you visited the place

8)

Yeah, I've heard so much about it I want to see it for myself! :lol:

OFOF

Quote from: "av8"

8)

I hope you have a great time Mike.  I have been involved in a couple of movies shot in the Ogden, UT area both with my cars and as an extra.  The one nice thing in addition to getting paid is that they feed you really well!!!
Don Sr.
Don Palfreyman

av8

Quote from: "OFOF"
Quote from: "av8"

8)

I hope you have a great time Mike.  I have been involved in a couple of movies shot in the Ogden, UT area both with my cars and as an extra.  The one nice thing in addition to getting paid is that they feed you really well!!!
Don Sr.

As I said on the HAMB, Don . . .

"Location is a lot like the Army . . . short bursts of activity linked by long periods of boredom. 'Cept the food is way better and nobody's shooting at you!"

BTW, Dave Tatom called today and said he's planning on taking his roadster back to the Salt for the World Finals and regain the XF/BSTR record he held for three days at Speed Week, losing it to one of his engine customers after he left the Salt! Dave said he initially guessed wrong on his gearing and was well up to speed long before he reached the timing trap. He scurried around, located the gearing he needed and made the change before his record run but in the process didn't pay much attention to his tune. Altitude density of 7400 feet during his qualifying run had dropped to about 2400 two days later for his record run so he was well off his potential. He feels he has a certain 10 mph more in his bullet so is eager to get the record back.

I'm hoping to hang around for a couple of days of the World Finals. Fuller is going to drive up to cheer Tatom on, so I'll have a ride home if I don't have to come back with Vern and the wrangling crew. Maybe see you there, or are you all Salted out for the year?

Mike

sirstude

Just a quick note on the B'ville subject.  I got the video from Hooleys car from Sumner and finally got a chance to watch it.  It is a kick!  Don't ever expect to be going 200 myself, so that is probably as close as I will ever get to it.

Doug

Thanks Sum, for sending the video.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

av8

The area in front of Tardel's shop has been turned into a marshalling yard. There are 15 cars so far with five more to come, including my F-1.