Looking into one-piece windshield for my 1952 Chevy pickup..

Started by My52Chebby, February 22, 2017, 03:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My52Chebby

Hi all,

As I said, I'm looking into buying a one-piece bent windshield for my 1952 Chevy pickup.

I'm wondering if anyone on here has ever installed one using the rubber/stainless trim that came with Deluxe cabs? I realize it would entail fabricating stainless transition pieces for the center top and bottom (where the center windshield bar would have been).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My52Chebby

papastoyss

Quote from: "My52Chebby"Hi all,

As I said, I'm looking into buying a one-piece bent windshield for my 1952 Chevy pickup.

I'm wondering if anyone on here has ever installed one using the rubber/stainless trim that came with Deluxe cabs? I realize it would entail fabricating stainless transition pieces for the center top and bottom (where the center windshield bar would have been).

My52Chebby
FWIW I looked at one in a '37 Ford & there was quite a bit of distortion in the middle where it was bent. I passed on buying one for my '40 Ford.I believe '54 Chevy truck cabs were 1 pc from factory.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

kb426

TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

We cut new glass for my windshield and eliminated the center divider.  The two piece of glass were ground at an angle and we used a thin layer of clear silicone between the two pieces in the center. I do not notice any distortion when I am driving but it is there.  It has been like this for over 20 years.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

John, did you measure the center divider and split the dimension an add to both parts?
TEAM SMART

My52Chebby

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"We cut new glass for my windshield and eliminated the center divider.  The two piece of glass were ground at an angle and we used a thin layer of clear silicone between the two pieces in the center. I do not notice any distortion when I am driving but it is there.  It has been like this for over 20 years.

John

Well John, after reading about the distortion (I know I was already NOT happy with the price) of a bent windshield, I might go your route. The only problem I have with the butted windshield solution is that I was told some States by law consider that a broken windshield. But hey, I'm in Canada... LOL

Thanks all for your comments.

Ray "My52Chebby"

My52Chebby

Quote from: "kb426"John, did you measure the center divider and split the dimension an add to both parts?

He probably left a small space in between the plates of glass for the silicone (1/16" to an 1/8"), otherwise you'd have glass edges rubbing and no place for the silicone bead to "lock in".

Ray "My52Chebby"

My52Chebby

Quote from: "papastoyss"
Quote from: "My52Chebby"Hi all,

My52Chebby
FWIW I looked at one in a '37 Ford & there was quite a bit of distortion in the middle where it was bent. I passed on buying one for my '40 Ford.I believe '54 Chevy truck cabs were 1 pc from factory.

The '54-'55 cab is different from the '47-'53 cabs to accept the one-piece curved windshield.

Ray "My52Chebby"

WZ JUNK

I have never had a problem with someone saying that it is considered a broken windshield.  They were two pieces from the factory, we just removed the rubber strip that separated them.   Yes, we did leave a small space between the two pieces of glass.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

My52Chebby

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I have never had a problem with someone saying that it is considered a broken windshield.  They were two pieces from the factory, we just removed the rubber strip that separated them.   Yes, we did leave a small space between the two pieces of glass.

John

Thank you John, I will take your suggestion to heart and go with the two piece windshield.

Ray "My52Chebby"