What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

Quote from: "Crosley"Some plumbing repair saturday morning.  Vacuum breaker for my landscape water system.

Guvernment requires the device  here.

Both of those are INSTALLED BACKWARDS.

the vacuum breaker goes AFTER the shut off valve..

the first valve should have been legal if it was installed the other way..    i would worry about any other sprinkler valves installed backwards as you have water pressure pushing against a plastic disc with a rubber washer..

they could  be requiring a back flow preventer.. usually just a check valve in the pipe feeding the sprinkler valve so the water will only flow towards the sprinkler valve.. nothing the other way..

the Vacuum breaker allows the sprinker system to drain to the lowest spot when you turn it off.  so if the city water pressure fails it can't siphon back from the sprinklers.. no fertilizer, animal waste, soil. can get sucked back into the feed into your house.

since many people are going to read this..  when i install a new water service.. after the meter i put a cross fitting.  straight thru another shut off valve and that feeds the house ... one side fitting also get s shut off and that feeds the sprinker system only.. or the pool ..  and the other side opening gets a garden valve.. with a cap on the hose threads..   why... so if i have to turn off the house..   can either just shut off the house or the whole system.. if i want to shut off the sprinkers or pool alone i can do that.. and if i need to shut off both sprinkers and house.. i have a garden valve to hook a hose to right in the meter box so i always have water in front..

why garden valves over hose bib.. garden valves usually have a 5/8 or 9/16 hole under the washer .. where hose bibs usually have 5/16 or 3/8 holes under the washers...  crazy amounts of flow thru 3/4 garden hoses are possible..  i have left a 5 or 6 foot section of 3/4 garden hose hooked up and wound in the meter box just for emergencies with a spray nozzle..  capped is far better..  the valve in the meter box is quazi legal like yours needing a vacuum break..

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "wayne petty"
Quote from: "Crosley"Some plumbing repair saturday morning.  Vacuum breaker for my landscape water system.

Guvernment requires the device  here.

Both of those are INSTALLED BACKWARDS.

hate to break it to you wayne.  The parts are installed correctly.  I did this work as a union pipe fitter / plumber in the early 1970's.  Primarily commercial under ground sprinkler work was my specialty. Golf courses , roadway medians, right of ways in housing developments  

You must be misunderstanding the water flow from the photo. the feed is from the painted 1 inch pipe on the right in the photo.  The straight pipe that drops into the ground.  Goes under a concrete walkway to the valve boxes
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"Tony, we know about vacuum breakers here, to. :) I agree with your car guy statement. Usually I remember something because of the car, not the person so if there not next to the car, I'm at a loss.

Weird Stuff at work.  A fellow that has worked there for 4+ yrs.. Looks at me and says:

Him: your wife worked at **** Speed Shop in the 1980's?

Me: yes

Him: you owned a yellow 1969 Pro Street Camaro, 6-71 blown big block chevy.

Me: yes

Him : that car was an animal.  I remember the camaro before you back halved it. No body ran a blown big block on the street. They always ran hot.

Me; ok.

Him: That car ran low 10's at 130+ mph and was on the street.  Not many 10 second street cars in Phx then.

Me: yes.. I am stunned you remember this stuff.  I did not know you then.

Him: yuup. I love camaros and I tracked who , what , when , where.

Me:  ok.

Actually there were a couple guys with  nitrous cars that ran high 9's and drove them on the street.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Carps

Not today, but it's been a somewhat hectic and emotional few weeks starting on Wednesday September 27th.   This was a bittersweet day for Toyota Australia Manufacturing Team Members and a sad day for Australia.

Pretty much every member of the Toyota Australia Manufacturing Team gathered like expectant parents at the final inspection station in the vehicle assembly shop.  After 58 years, the last Australian built Toyota rolled off the assembly line, just before 10:00am.

Despite knowing for the last 3 years that most of these people would be unemployed by the end of this week, nobody lost focus on the goal.

The final quality audit revealed they'd achieved their goal.  Australian workers had built the best Camrys ever built anywhere in the world.

Despite their ability to build almost flawless cars, our politicians hold the view that Australia workers cannot compete with car-makers in other countries?

Yet strangely, every-time those same workers have had a milestone or special achievement there they were, ready to take all the credit for it.  Despite being the result of blood sweat and tears shed by the people you see in these images.  They weren't invited this time and none would turn up the following week for the official closure of the plant

But now, it's over, the lights have gone out.

Empty assembly shop parts racks.

These assembly jigs have never been empty before today.

Normally, when the plant is closed down for weekends, holidays or whatever reason there are cars on the dollies and parts in the canbans, for when it's time to restart.  

Not today.

New vehicle exit here at the rate of one every 40 seconds, to storage and shipping area.

When these are gone, there will be no more to replace them.

Receiving stores are usually a hive of activity filled with trucks delivering parts only minutes before those same parts are whisked off to the right assembly stations and turned into cars..

Container storage area is usually filled with hundreds of 20 and 40 foot shipping containers.

This image would normally be filled with red hot sparks, not today as the body shop welding robots are now idle.

This afternoon the plant was eerily silent and without movement of any kind.  

I feel both proud and privileged to have been a part of this for the last 35 years and I have nothing but admiration of my colleagues, for their attitude and skills.  

Every goal they've ever set or had set for them, was always achieved.  They decided that the best way to give the people who closed them down the finger would be that that the last car they built would be the best ever built.  They achieved that years ago and kept it up right to the last car they built.

Nothing much more to say really.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly one week later and as predicted, not a glory seeking politician in sight.  The media weren't invited, it was a personal and private celebration (in fact it was a totally closed shop, no outsiders who didn't work here were welcome) but they were camped out the front like vultures from about 06:00 when folks started arriving for their last official day of employment.

Activities started with a cavalcade of Australian built Toyotas from the very first car ever assembled in this country (which was also the first Toyota assembled outside of Japan) all the way to the last cars which were entirety manufactured here, plus three future models that these people head earned the right to build but now won't.  All because the infrastructure to do it will soon be gone forever and so too, the jobs of everybody involved.

The Mirai Hydrogen fuel cell car, which without government support for infrastructure will never be able to even be sold here.  This car doesn't use electricity made from burning coal, oil or gas.   It makes it's own electricity from Hydrogen Gas (what we've been using is a bi product of medical and welding gas production that is currently sent into the atmosphere as waste) and the only emission is water vapour.

The next Camry which will now initially be imported from Japan ..... and later who knows where

The people who built the cars lined the roads throughout the facility.

They clapped and cheered each car as it passed them, the atmosphere was not what you'd expect of people who's lives have been disrupted and thrown out of work for doing no more than proving Australia can build the best quality cars in the world.

It was a bit strange driving into the factory through the door where cars are usually only driven out.

Once inside, the family came in for a closer look at their work.

Then they gathered together for the official closing down ceremony.

Soon the vast space of the main receiving store was completely filled with the thousands of people who as late as just last week made the best quality mass produced cars in Australia, if not the world.

They watched on as the history of their company played out on huge screens.  They saw how the first Standard Cars were assembled in the mid 1920s and how the Standard Car Company evolved into Australian Motor Industries and then Toyota Australia.  They watched the first Aussie Toyota on it's journey down the Port Melbourne assembly line.  They saw Corollas and Camry's in the Dandenong plant where they also became General Motors Holden Apollos and Novas.  And they saw the construction of the plant we were standing in where many of them have worked for over 30 years.  And then the very last car they built was driven through the assembly shop and onto the stage.  

That car along with the banner signed by each and every one of the people present, was then loaded into a container as the last of more than one and a half million Australian built Toyota's to be sent for export (making Toyota, Australia's biggest ever exporter of manufactured goods, something unlikely to ever be repeated by any manufacturers of anything that's still made here, or may be made here in the future).  Both the car and the banner will installed in a special permanent display at the Toyota Automobile Museum in Toyota City, Japan.

The second last car, will be displayed in Toyota Australia's new heritage centre at Altona and the last batch of cars that preceded this pair, were all sold, to the people who made them.

Then it was time to say goodbye.

It was sad day, but none of the participants was ready to give the bastards that caused it, the satisfaction of seeing them cry....

......this is the way we will all remember it.

Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Bruce Dorsi

Emotional times for all those folks, no doubt.

Carps, your captions made reference to politicians, but I'm confused.  

Did the Aussie government shut you down, or are you referring to Toyota of Japan management?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

58 Yeoman

Sorry to hear that, Carps. I hope they bring another industry into the plant, instead of demolishing it.

I lived in the smallest county in Illinois in 1966 (pop. less than 6000) when they built the J&L steel plant. I never worked there, choosing instead to work at a chemical plant 25 miles away, for 40 years. The steel plant had four separate owners over the years, with the last one selling/moving all the best equipment. It was much smaller than the Toyota plant, but now it's coming down, hopefully for redevelopement.

The chemical company that I worked for also made pvc plastic material for other companies. After a while, they closed one of the buildings and left it vacant. All power, water and steam were disconnected. The overhead doors were left open, so the building could be used for storage. Before long, the raccoons and other animals started using it for their homes, so all the doors leading to the upper floors were locked. The roof eventually failed and started caving in, so all the equipment that was left in there was ruined by the weather. Before I left in 2014, they eventually removed all the equipment and repaired the roof on the first floor, and continued to use it for storage.

They spent a couple million dollars doing this, but power, water and steam weren't restored before I left. I'd gone to the plant a couple times after retiring for other retirement parties, and found out that the building was deteriorating at a fast pace once again.  I hope this isn't the fate of the Toyota factory.

This is a short article about the J&L steel plant.

https://tinyurl.com/steel-mill-gone
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Carps

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"Did the Aussie government shut you down, or are you referring to Toyota of Japan management?
The Aussie Government has slowly shut down the entire car industry. Ford ceased production last year, then GM announced they would cease production following a very public stoush with the government.  Toyota had just invested half a billion dollars updating our engine plant in order to build Hybrid engines, but without any infrastructure, there's no way the company could continue as the sole manufacturer with everything we don't make ourselves having to be imported..

There was a time when we had Chrysler/Mitsubishi, Nissan, Renault, GM, Ford, VW, all manufactured here and many others assembled from CKD packs, now we have no automobile manufacturing at all.  Kenworth Trucks are still put together here, but I'm not sure how long that will last.

I fear our politicians won't be happy until there are no cars on our roads and everything we use here is made in China, India or other parts of Asia and we become a third world nation.

The company just last week announced that Hybrid drivetrain production will now be undertaken in the USofA.  So I guess our loss is your gain.

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Sorry to hear that, Carps. I hope they bring another industry into the plant, instead of demolishing it.
The company is reinventing itself as an import only operation and once all the machinery has been removed from the factory buildings they'll be renovated for other purposes as everything will be consolidated from the various sites the company occupies throughout the country.
Carps

UGLY OLDS

Carps...That's sad to see.... :(
Is the Government doing this to ALL manufacturing in the Country, or just the auto industry  :?:  
I understand that the plant was designed to build automobiles, but could it be easily reformatted to build something else   :?:
It seems a shame to waste a workforce with the skill,pride & dedication your co workers have ... Is there any kind of retraining programs available to help the workers back into the workforce or are they just left to fend for themselves ??  
Does the Government provide any type of assistance for the workers until they can secure new employment ?

Bob.... :(
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

purplepickup

So sad to see those pics Carps. I went through a plant closing too in 1986....Clark Forklifts only mfg plant in the world. Very similar employee camaraderie. We all took pride in that we built the best material handling equipment at the time.

I don't understand what role the Oz government plays in deciding which industries are allowed to operate. If manufacturing declines, the primary job sector remaining is service oriented which doesn't promote competition and reward innovation, the key factors in improving an economy and lifestyle. It seems to me that the economy will become stagnant or decline over time.

*edit*: Sorry UglyBob, I was typing while you posted above. I wonder the same things.
George

kb426

Carps, you did a masterful job in telling the story.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

The Australian government did not "make" the plants close, but they did nothing to stop it. The problem was Australia needed Ford, GM and Toyota to create enough volume for all the other support industries to survive. Once Ford decided to stop building cars in Australia, there was not enough demand to keep the seat manufacturers, the brake manufacturers, the steel manufacturers, the electronics manufacturers, and many others viable enough to build parts a a price that was livable for the remaining car companies. So rather than import the parts at a higher price, the car makers  are importing finished cars at a lower price. The fact that some of the free trade policies of the government allowed the cars to be imported without duties made it more appealing.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "enjenjo"The Australian government did not "make" the plants close, but they did nothing to stop it. The problem was Australia needed Ford, GM and Toyota to create enough volume for all the other support industries to survive. Once Ford decided to stop building cars in Australia, there was not enough demand to keep the seat manufacturers, the brake manufacturers, the steel manufacturers, the electronics manufacturers, and many others viable enough to build parts a a price that was livable for the remaining car companies. So rather than import the parts at a higher price, the car makers  are importing finished cars at a lower price. The fact that some of the free trade policies of the government allowed the cars to be imported without duties made it more appealing.

This sounds like a "Win-Win" for the car manufactures, BUT....If nobody's working, who's gonna buy 'um :?:  :?:  :shock:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

I had a belly pan to install on my wife's car. Completed without much grief. The stereo in the 51 had died. It had a 2 year warranty and was purchased around 3 years ago. After 5000 miles, it gave up the ghost. I bought a digital receiver on ebay that was $17.88 with shipping that fits a din slot. it's in and working. This has no am and no cd. It does have an aux input, usb and blue tooth. Time will tell if that was a good decision. :)
TEAM SMART

Carps

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Is the Government doing this to ALL manufacturing in the Country, or just the auto industry  :?:
They seem to hold the view that manufacturing is dirty, but digging millions of tons of coal and selling it to China and India to power their industries is OK.

Actually they figure digging everything out of our backyard and selling it to other countries to they can sell it back to us as finished goods, is great business.

As for manufacturing being dirty, the plant pictured has won more global and local environmental awards than just about any other.
Before the plant as built the land around it was considered wasteland and was heavily polluted.  The creek running through it stank worse than a sewer.  Now, thanks to Toyota there's thousands of trees and it's one of the best parkland areas in urban Melbourne.  The water in the creek is so clean it's drinkable.

A few weeks back the company planted more trees, 3,200, one for each member of the workforce at the car plant.

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"I understand that the plant was designed to build automobiles, but could it be easily reformatted to build something else   :?:
The plant was designed to build 100,000 units a year, it was building almost double that to the highest quality standard thanks to the skill and motivation of the workers.

It's being refitted for other purposes, but not manufacturing.  All the plant and equipment has been sold and will most likely be shipped out of Australia.  The unique plant that features Toyota IP, will be retained within the organisation, so some of it may even end up in the USofA for you guys to make Hybrid drivetrains or other components.

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"It seems a shame to waste a workforce with the skill,pride & dedication your co workers have ...
Yeah it does, but the politicians don't give a fat rat's backside.  All they've done for the last three years is blame each other for the demise of Australian manufacturing industry.  If they bothered to look back into their own history they'd see they are all complicit and each played a part in making it happen.

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"there any kind of retraining programs available to help the workers back into the workforce or are they just left to fend for themselves ??
The company has been running many programs to educate and help people find new careers.  One of our engineers has even become front page news as he has started a not for profit organisation using 3D printing technology for making fully functional artificial limbs for underprivileged people who might never be able to access such technology.  He funded it via a public campaign and donations from his workmates.  So far he's provided working hands and fingers etc. and his biggest project is almost done, providing a complete working arm for a young girl who was born without one and as such is not considered by our political system to be handicapped.  Had she lost it after birth she would qualify for government support.  Nope, I don't get it either.  But her first project will be learning to play the violin.

Others have qualified to be Teachers, Medical Practitioners, Nurses, Train Drivers and a whole bunch of other things with their qualifications and degrees all supported and funded by Toyota.  There are also counselling facilities/services programs to assist them with resume's and the job interview process and much more,  all put in place pretty much from the time Akio Toyoda took time out from his schedule to fly here and make the closure announcement in person.  he did this simply because he felt since it is his family name on the front wall it was his responsibility and also his responsibility to make sure everything was in place to help displaced 'Toyota Family Members' adapt to a new way of life and it will continue for a long time into the future.

Wherever possible people have been absorbed into the new company, moved to other roles in other parts of the Toyota world (some are even transferring to the US) and others will simply retire from the workforce to be come a burden on the government purse.

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Does the Government provide any type of assistance for the workers until they can secure new employment ?
This would be the same government who is trying to weasel their way out of paying pensions and other social security measures?  About the only thing I can see is they've agreed to a tax concession so that the workers only lose maybe 1/4 of their redundancy payments to tax instead of half as would be the case if it were taxed at the normal rate.  On the other hand, until that money is all spent, they won't qualify for pensions or any other social security support and many can't access their retirement funds because they are not old enough.

Fact is the whole thing stinks all the way to Canberra (Our Washington DC) and back.  And it's only the beginning.
Carps

Carps

Quote from: "enjenjo"The Australian government did not "make" the plants close, but they did nothing to stop it.
Back in the '80s a labour (the worker's political party) senator drafted a paper that became known as the Button Car Industry Plan.  The primary objective was to reduce the number of motor vehicle manufacturers in Australia.  First, Renault, Volvo then the volume players, Volkswagen, Nissan and Chrysler/Mitsubishi.  These closures were forced by the government and as a result for the big three it was always just a matter of time.  Unless the plan changed.  And nobody in Canberra had the intelligence or balls to do that.

Once it started neither side of Government could stop it.

More recently, the Government created a fund to assist the industry to make more environmentally friendly vehicles, it was called the green car fund.  It was but a poofteenth of what they had already lost in reduced import tariffs, but nobody seemed to notice that because there were more car brands available and each had to discount heavily just to sustain some volume.  Life was good for the car buying public.  Once money started to flow from the Green car Fund to the last three car makers, Ford, GM and Toyota, the news media/press initiated a beat up campaign that convinced the voting public that politicians were wasting money subsidising the motor and automotive components manufacturing industry.  As all that snowballed and since a politician cares more about the next vote that will help keep their greedy noses in the trough, than they do about keeping ordinary people gainfully employed with food on the family table, they all turned on the industry.  When the GFC hit, it simply got worse.  At the same time driving tastes were changing and the American companies were both having problems at home, so were not really focussed on the issues down here.  Ford were first to announce that they would close their shop, the government did nothing to encourage them to stay.  The GM off the back of the US bankruptcy, lobbied the Government to help them and the industry survive.  In a very public display of stupidity and arrogance one of our most powerful politicians told GM there'd be no support and if they couldn't get by on their own then they could just bug-er off and so GM announced the closure of their operation.  With no infrastructure despite having just invested more than half a billion in a hybrid engine plant, Toyota had no choice, the situation here was now untenable.

Volume to support the components industry wasn't the real issue, Toyota was Australia's largest exporter of finished goods.  Volume wasn't an issue as the plant was running at more than 150% of capacity and it could adapt and build any of Toyota's global models, which is what it was already doing.  The local components industry suffered off the back of GM and Ford's need to reduce costs because of their volume and lack of any parental or government support, as happens in every other country in the world especially the US, where industry is subsidies in order to create jobs where they are needed.

Both the American companies felt they had no choice but to source parts offshore and because our politicians seem to favour China as a manufacturing base, they were encouraged to shop there, which they did.

Quote from: "enjenjo"The problem was Australia needed Ford, GM and Toyota to create enough volume for all the other support industries to survive. Once Ford decided to stop building cars in Australia, there was not enough demand to keep the seat manufacturers, the brake manufacturers, the steel manufacturers, the electronics manufacturers, and many others viable enough to build parts a a price that was livable for the remaining car companies. So rather than import the parts at a higher price, the car makers  are importing finished cars at a lower price. The fact that some of the free trade policies of the government allowed the cars to be imported without duties made it more appealing.
The reason for lower priced imports was that the government removed protective tariffs, to 'level the playing field', so all of a sudden we had cars selling here cheaper than they are sold in their home markets and before we knew it Australia had more car brands in the market than any other country on earth (every car brand on earth is sold here).  But not one can sustain enough volume here to be profitable.  however, the small volumes add enough to their global numbers that it's worth their while to compete here.  It's a great place to do your market testing and dump excess or slow selling product.

As Ford Falcon volumes slipped they designed a very successful SUV that was built off the same platform.  Cost effective and it met  the changing market head on with great results.  But then the emissions rules changed and Ford's engine was at the limit of development so Falcon/Territory were no longer viable.  But they did have an ace up their sleeve.  They local team had designed a pick up truck that could compete head to head with Toyota's Hilux in the strongest market segment.  I don't know all the details but the lack of support from Canberra made it a better proposition to build that vehicle in Thailand than Australia, so now the second best selling vehicle in the land was another import, but at least it was designed and engineered here.

GMHA worked hard to earn export business with their Commodore, it even sold in the US, first as a Pontiac, then later as a Chevrolet, but GM's US problems created the need for common platforms, it meant their Aussie Arm was left out in the cold and our uniquely Aussie GM Holden was destined to become obsolete.

The fact remains, our government could have stopped this happening, but instead they told the industry it wasn't wanted.  The subsidy that might have changed things is chicken poop compared to the income they earned from local manufacturing.  And now everybody will suffer.  As the largest single users of power/energy are leaving the country, one of our biggest power stations is being closed.  Blamed on old age, but reality is it's no longer needed.  And to cover the billions of dollars lost?  The power companies are hiking the cost of domestic power and so the snowball effect will see more job losses and higher costs for almost everything.  but hey, we'll have shiploads of cheap cars, or will we?  The prices of imports have already started to increase and there's no high quality well priced locally made product to keep this prices down.

FOOTNOTE:  Toyota was granted around $36 million from the Green Car Fund, at the plant closure ceremony it was announced by our President that the company had started an endowment fund to help support underprivileged people to gain a better education and therefore better employment prospects.  The program is fully funded with a start up balance of $36 million.

Here's a link to a news article about my colleague Matt Bowtell and his work, this guy is one of a kind and has been an inspiration to all of his workmates.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4384588/Australian-dad-makes-3D-printed-limbs-kids-need.html
Carps