What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Frank, I don't know how they could price that with a straight face. I have some Stihl stuff at the office. It all gets John deere 2 stroke oil mixed in regular 87. Bob, you'd sure be welcome here but don't think that would move your fenders to the head of the line. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Rusted GM  frames, fuel lines, brake lines   :?:  :!:  Yikes.

I better get under my 2006 Silverado and look close. I Bought the truck new in september 2005.  79k miles on it so far.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "enjenjo"I just picked up a lightly used Stihl chain saw. It was recommended to use the Stihl fuel premix. I went to the dealer today, it's $33 a gallon! It will get premium with valvoline two cycle oil, and Stabile.

I have all Stihl outdoor tools.  They are the only ones that I found that are fit to own.  I use non ethanol fuel and stihl oil.  I only mix one gallon of fuel at a time.  It is important to use only fresh fuel.  It is a sad reflection on our times when it is difficult to use an maintain a simple two cycle engine.  

A quart of the Stihl premix fuel is handy if you need to leave fuel in a tool for an extended period.  I usually run the engine until all of the fuel is out and store the tools as empty of fuel as possible.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "enjenjo"I just picked up a lightly used Stihl chain saw. It was recommended to use the Stihl fuel premix. I went to the dealer today, it's $33 a gallon! It will get premium with valvoline two cycle oil, and Stabile.

It's not just the Stihl premix that's outrageous.

I've seen premix in other brands at $9 + per quart.  ...I just shake my head and keep walking.

Non-ethanol gas is not available in my part of the world, so I use regular gas with 2-stroke oil.  ....So far, no problems, but maybe I'm lucky.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"

It's not just the Stihl premix that's outrageous.

I've seen premix in other brands at $9 + per quart.  ...I just shake my head and keep walking.

Non-ethanol gas is not available in my part of the world, so I use regular gas with 2-stroke oil.  ....So far, no problems, but maybe I'm lucky.

I have been told that in your situation, you might be able to buy aviation fuel to use instead of ethanol free gasoline.   You might need an additive to aid in lubrication if you use this fuel in a 4 cycle engine.   I would investigated this more as I am have no personal knowledge of this subject.  (a disclaimer)

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

58 Yeoman

A few years ago, I bought a new Stihl MS280, and used Stihl oil in it for a while, with Phillips66 premium non leaded fuel. Now, I just use regular 2 cycle oil and haven't had any problems. Saw still starts and runs fine. I use that non leaded fuel in all my small engines.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

I came home this afternoon with the idea of getting a lot accomplished because the weather was forecast to change and go to the toilet. I needed to weld up the thermactor port of one of the ebay headers I bought. I finished that and laid them out to spray grill black on them. As soon as I shot some on the other header I saw a crack that I hadn't noticed before. I welded that up and proceeded to start on my idler support bracket. As per Matt's suggestion, I dug in the alum pile for awhile and found a suitable piece to start from. The pics are some progress. Progress stopped when the motor on the mill died. I have a treadmill dc motor saved back for this moment. I read years ago about people installing a 2hp dc motor on these mills to use the variable speed function instead of changing pulleys. If anybody has tried this and found out it doesn't work, I'd like to know before I waste time on it. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Killed 8 scorpions last week & 8 more  this week ....
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

It started to rain yesterday afternoon. About 3 am it turned to snow. It's super heavy wet stuff. My town is full of broken tree limbs and I don't think it's done yet. My big cottonwood in the front yard has lost 3 so far.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

YEOW   :!:  :!:   You guys are keeping that down by you ,correct   :?:

Rule # 1 ..No Shoveling ....( It will go away) ..

Rule # 2 ... If you see big orange trucks "sprinkling" the street, STAY HOME ...HIDE...Guard the bottom of you car  :!:  :shock:  :shock:   Don't drive  :!:  

Oops ...There I go again ... :oops:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

This mornings project: I purchased this on ebay knowing it could be a mess. I found numerous items that would cause someone to return it. Being a little off most of the time, I thought I'd give the challenge a go. :) As it was originally produced, the fuel rails are on the outside of the throttle bodies. I swapped everything around to the inside. There is machine work to do and some special fittings to be made. This requires the smaller ev-6 injectors to be possible. I just happened to have a set left over from the explorer engine that's in the 32. I haven't decided if this is where it needs to end yet. I'm still looking to see if I missed anything. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Wow  :shock: look at all them stacks! :-o

Lightning struck my only tree last night, oh man wait until I can show you a pic! Unfortunately it also struck the ground nearby and cut the water supply line to my house (plastic, maybe 3 feet down) plus fried the buried internet and TV hose. Somehow I escaped with a fried modem, tripped breaker, and an adrenaline jolt that would choke a horse. And of course my beloved shade tree is ripped from stem to stern. Arm sized chunks of trunk were thrown over the house into the backyard, it was like a bomb went off at 11:15. Just as I was halfway through a Dragnet radio episode and winding down to hit the sack with soft rain sounds. POW! Never been that scared as an adult. It hit 25-30 feet from my chair. Whew!
Matt

phat46

Quote from: "idrivejunk"Wow  :shock: look at all them stacks! :-o

Lightning struck my only tree last night, oh man wait until I can show you a pic! Unfortunately it also struck the ground nearby and cut the water supply line to my house (plastic, maybe 3 feet down) plus fried the buried internet and TV hose. Somehow I escaped with a fried modem, tripped breaker, and an adrenaline jolt that would choke a horse. And of course my beloved shade tree is ripped from stem to stern. Arm sized chunks of trunk were thrown over the house into the backyard, it was like a bomb went off at 11:15. Just as I was halfway through a Dragnet radio episode and winding down to hit the sack with soft rain sounds. POW! Never been that scared as an adult. It hit 25-30 feet from my chair. Whew!

Wow! You were lucky though I have seen a house where lightning stuck a tree outside, jumped to the house and blew out every window. Our house was hit, antennae, and did some really weird things, I too jumped straight up in the air when it happened. When my wife was a kid lightning came through the bedroom window, hit the wall across from her, went along the wall down a staircase, blowing the plaster off the wall in a furrow, blew all the baseboards away from the wall downstairs and went out another window!!! The fire dept was on the other side of the block and saw it hit, they were there before she got downstairs! Maybe your insurance will buy you a new tree...if you still want one! 😉

58 Yeoman

Yeah...keep that snow in KS.  I got a good deal on a 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 today at a local dealer. One owner, and it only has 7000 miles on it. They sold the truck new to a couple. She didn't want him hauling stuff in her Mercedes or his Lexus, so they bought the truck. Seems they didn't really need it. I'll pick it up M or T. I plan on using it. Will have to clean up the Ranger and put it up for sale.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

WZ JUNK

9 inches of rain yesterday and it continued through the night.  There is lots of flooding in town buy I am high on a hill.  The shop is dry with only a couple of minor roof leaks.

I started installing the headliner in the 54 Chevy yesterday.  It does not look like the right headliner for the car.  I will call Lebaron Bonney tomorrow.  I am so tired on getting the wrong stuff, or stuff that does not fit, or work.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck