What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I spent part of the day cleaning on the 92 ford 5.0 engine that I removed from a F150 a few weeks ago. The odometer had 192,000 on it. I can see the block in places now. :) Long ways from clean. The oil pan pics are as removed from the engine and after 10 minutes in the vat. It's not as bad as I expected. I have little experience tearing down high mileage fuel injected engines so I didn't have any expectations. The old carbed engines always seemed to be deep in sludge.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

What's in the "Vat" that will clean things like that :?:  :shock:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Bob, it's an acid vat at the machine shop. This vat is large enough to put an 855 Cummins block in. The vat is one of my best friends. :) It makes me look good even when I suck.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Bill its a good thing you put that last pic up, my tummy was grumbling for a sec.  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "Crosley"interesting raised garden feature in the form of a 1954 - 55 series 1 truck.

naw , you are not monopolizing the thread...  just the ebb n flow of stuff here

:lol:  Its a sign (if we ever letter it) but I like raised garden feature better. I'm gonna use that.
Matt

kb426

I pulled the top end off of the 5.0 I'm working on. I checked all the cylinders with a dial bore gauge. The best has 1/2 thou taper and the worst has 1 1/2. I'm surprised on a 192,000 mile engine. If anybody had doubts about efi, that should help answer that. :) It's pretty clean inside. The worst seems to be that no one could pour oil in with out spilling it all over the valve cover and both main seals leaking. It's going to get rings and bearings and a few new parts and back together.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

QuoteThe worst seems to be that no one could pour oil in with out spilling it all over the valve cover and both main seals leaking. It's going to get rings and bearings and a few new parts and back together.
[/quote]

That's a GOOD thing  :!:  :!:   That kept it from rus......I forgot.. :oops:  You guys don't have those "issues "  :?
Don't forget to do valves & timing chain.... :idea:
 I wonder how much of the oil pan I removed from the Olds would have survived the "VAT"   :?:   It was already rusted through in multiple places & leaking... :roll:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Explorer rear prepared for shortening. The new axle is here and all I need now is energy. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

I ran a few small parts through the vat. I'm done for the day. :)
TEAM SMART

wayne petty

Quote from: "kb426"I ran a few small parts through the vat. I'm done for the day. :)

have you ever adjusted the valves when reassembling one of those..

the rocker arm fulcrums wear where the rockers rub them.. loosening the lifter preload..

have you ever bottomed out the lifters.. and checked the valve clearance. 0.068 to 0.168 if i recall off the top of my head..  

there are shims you can add under the rocker arm pedestals.. to loosen the clearance..  hah.. very carefully grind the bottom of the pedestal slightly.. you must keep it square... this allows you to adjust the lifter preload and get it perfect..

Elgin engine parts also makes +0.060 and -0.060 push rods.. for some ford motors..  i would think that is a roller cam .. but i could be wrong..

there's nothing like a perfectly adjusted set of rockers..

the 428FE i did last year... we lucked into having 3 engines worth of pushrods to use... Standard and +.060 and -.060..  i folded out the minimum thickness on one group of feeler gauges and too thick on the other and zip tied them.. so i had a GO no go gauge to make it crazy fast..  just made sure that the piston in the cylinder is is slightly down the bore before levering the rocker arm to remove the stud.. you don't have that issue with a 351W.. just remove it..  10 seconds of a test run on a stand..
  yes.. you can start a ford on an engine stand.. without a bell housing.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "wayne petty"yes.. you can start a ford on an engine stand.. without a bell housing.

I thought the bell house was that clangy thing on top of one room school houses  :roll:  :idea:  :lol: Seriously that thing barks.

Spent most of the day middling. Y'know doing not too good, not too bad. Call these pics um... behind the scenes IDJ bloopers.  :D  Stay tuned  :arrow:

Matt

GPster

Well we're in Cincinnati for a weekend of dog (and maybe grandson) watching. Our granddaughter got accepted at Syracus University this week and they've offered her a deal that needs to be investigated. So they're off to Syracus and we're here. Are tere any Swap Meets around here so I'm not stuck at a one year old's birthday Saturday. GPster

kb426

I spent a lot of yesterday disassembling the f150 engine. Today I had to make bushings for my alignment bar to narrow the explorer rear end.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Attended a swap meet today.  Selling stuff.  Not done that in 3 years.  Caught up with many folks on news , events , changes..

Many of these folks I have seen at swap meets for years , are getting old. sheesh!

Still many folks looking for parts & do not know if a part in front of them will fit or not.  A vendor could tell them near anything to sell stuff.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Crosley.In.AZ

This wall was full of various "automotive wall art"  stuff.  old tools,, old radios, Crosley parts, old car horns, kerosene lanterns.

Purty much cleared off & sold or for sale .  Need to get the license plates down.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)