What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I set up a youtube account so that I can post a link to a video.  This is probably not a big deal to most of you but it was something I wanted, and I have put off for a long time.  It was actually really easy.  I still fight technology but I really enjoy it once I have it going my way.

Recently I got off on another side track and I built something that has been on my mind for a long time.  I have always had a fascination with wind powered whirligigs.  If you have stopped at my place, you already know that I have one big one in my back yard.  I have built a couple more and even more are in the works.  Here is a link to one of the latest,  
  This will be the test of the youtube account.

John

Cool. Need a longer video.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

That's nice, John. As much as you do, it's about time you have youtube to share with the rest of us. :)
TEAM SMART

Beck

Yep John, that's a whirligig all right.

idrivejunk

I think its pretty spiffy  8)  You don't want no light duty whirligig in Kansas  :wink:

Thinking back, one of that green roadster's builders was by recently and told a story of having a mechanical glitch pop up right as they were pulling it into that show. Memory works in mysterious ways  :roll:

Speaking of Detroit, I heard today that the pale blue 67 F100 took first place in it's class up there which equates to like 50th overall but still... I sure underestimated that ride. People do seem to love ones that are mainly stock appearing but with the right modern pieces. I have yet to wade thru any pics from up there, myself

An ol' boy and girl came by the shop today to check on something about the upholstery of their old car. A 70 R/T Charger with Magnum (didn't catch the CID, 383 or 440, right?) they bought new. It is an unmolested driver with original stuff everywhere and just shows gentle usage and some outdoor parking. Seriously, maybe just a little rust on it. Green. All ages flocked to it and bench racing ensued... I looked up and the shop was empty. I walked around it once and told him he had done a great job of just keeping it. What a great car    8)

Swapped my original seat back into the DD GTP yesterday, as a buyer has popped up for the seats from my ex GTP, a 40th anni car with special upholstery. Gotta ship to Michigan though so that should be fun.
Matt

WZ JUNK

I am continuing work on the throttle body engine in the 54.  I am trying to make it run better when the engine is cold.  I replaced the whole distributor today with new, not remanufactured parts.  The condition did not improve.  Just about everything on the engine is new and I checked and test most everything.  Time to think and read some more.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

John, how about you put up a video and maybe someone might have some insight into your problem.
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "kb426"John, how about you put up a video and maybe someone might have some insight into your problem.

During the night I realized I had set the timing incorrectly.  I retimed the car this morning and went for a test drive.  It was a big improvement over yesterday.  Now I am letting the car cool down and I will test the cold engine condition later this morning.

Tomorrow I am going on a 200 mile test drive to Bushmasters Drag Racing Museum near Strafford, Missouri.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

chimp koose

Today I should be crying in my beer. Yesterday I had a guy come in from out of town and drop off a nice trunk lid for my T coupe . I have been building a trunk lid off and on over the last few years and just thought I would speed things up and buy one . My intent with this project was to just buy as many parts as were available and build the rest to get a project done for once . This project has not gone that way (none of mine ever do ). Any ways  the trunk is dropped off and paid for and it looks real nice with surface rust and a couple minor dings , I am happy . I go to install it and find out that it fits well by the roof but at the bottom it is narrower than the car by 3/4" . So much for the bolt on fix ! I now realise that my car has spread apart from not having a lower panel in it for so many years . The lower framework for the body was never removed so the very bottom is still accurate but I now have to contend with squeezing the body back together at the bottom of the trunk opening . The thing that made me not realise that it had spread was that the diagonal measurements of the trunk opening are the same . The trunk lid I was making fits the opening that is currently in my car . The other weird thing is that the replacement panel that is below the trunk lid will only allow for 1/4" of movement before I have to cut it apart and narrow it to allow for squeezing the trunk opening in .At least the weld seams can be made in the area that fits under the T strip that it bolts to . Just when I thought I was going to be done the trunk !

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chimp koose"Just when I thought I was going to be done the trunk !

Aw man  :(  that qualifies as a setback. I really want to crack wise about widening with age but this is serious  :!:   :shock:

I bet you'll find a way to use the new lid while keeping the worms in the can so to speak. :idea: Luck, sir.

This might make you grin, it does me. The '34 sedan is back up and running, so far so good. A young'un was blowing the grey room out so I ventured into actual rodder country in the next building. :)

Matt

58 Yeoman

My wife and I drove to Bloomington, IL. today to hit up an estate sale. By the time we got there, all the good stuff was gone, except for one quart of rustoleum paint that we can use. It cost us a buck. We had an expensive lunch at KFC, and saw signs that Macy's was closing their Bloomington store. She wanted to check it out, so in we went.

Prices were still outrageous on clothes. I looked for some kind of display case for my die cast cars/trucks. Nope. What I did find was 3 chrome wheels for $50, in the size I can use on my 58 Chevy. Look to be Cragar, but aren't marked as such, just dated 1999 and made in USA. Did Cragar mark their wheels or not? I never had Cragar's, so I wouldn't know.

I saw them on Jeg's for $72. Could buy another and put them on the Chevy and get rid of the smoothie wheels. Obligatory toe in pic.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

I started disassembly of the donor for the next project. Bed and some of the front end are removed.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Gee KB .. That looks EXACTLY like my next project ....( Fuel pump time on the DD P/Up..) ...
I've already started soakin' my nuts ..... :?  :?   WAIT ..WAIT ..I bet my nuts are harder than yours were .. :shock:  :shock:    I give up..   :oops:  How do you describe rusted/frozen midwestern hardware  :?:  :roll:  :roll:   :lol:  :lol:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Bob, I got lucky on this one. I took the impact wrench and all 6 of the nuts off in about the time it took to roll around on the creeper from each one. I had 2 filler necks to unhook from the bed side and a plug at the rear for the wiring harness. I expect to pay on the rest of this project. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

Slight amount of progress. Engine and trans removed. All the wiring except for the the cab, and the fuel tanks removed.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Now maybe I'm just crazy as a dog in a hubcap factory, but I don't recall hearing what this "next project" is.  ~:)  I'm hoping its not a Pontiac. :shock:

Tool truck man walks up with this thing today. Fanciest hand file ever? I thought it was interesting but at eighty bucks I wasn't that interested. Had a hook and loop pad on there, and yes it is springy at the ends also. I dry-tried it and hmm it felt like it might be useful. I kept envisioning attaching it to a modified reciprocating saw via that broom handle hole at the rear. Kidding, thats for vacuum. But it has suspension and all. Might make short work of the 1930s cars  :idea:

Matt