33 Ford coupe tire clearance modification

Started by idrivejunk, October 31, 2016, 10:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Hey guys I thought you might want to peek at this. Probably been done a zillion times but I have not looked around to see. Not sure if it will be sufficiently effective but we had tires rubbing wheelwells sitting still so something had to happen. The decision to go this route came in the midst of rust fixes but I'll keep this thread to just on the "tub-ettes" mod.

Questions / comments / ideas are welcome!

More pics coming right up!
Matt

idrivejunk

If you look closely you can see in the inside shots how the tub is tipped inward at the top, taking body roll into consideration.  And the fancy flange and patch pieces could be done in pieces or with pie cuts but I had a brake, shrinker / stretcher, roller, etc. Just learning about all those things myself. One note I will add is that the curvy orange flange is made of thicker 16 gauge, to regain strength lost by cutting away the lower portion of the old floor edge to be flush with the frame.

It ain't the prettiest, but she might do. We'll see.  :shock: It does clear fine now when I put the wheel on.

The front corner will be addressed when installing patch panels on the lower quarters. I realize the thread is short on explanation but the pictures tell the story best! Feel free to ask whatever, and I hope this will give somebody an idea for their ride someday. 8)
Matt

chimp koose

Nice work , I would call that a tubby tuck !

idrivejunk

Thanks! It looks a little better finished now. I'm on to the other side but theres no point is going into detail there. Here is the fascinating result!  :lol:

For the record... theres no center section in the axle housing so the wheel bearing is all thats holding the wheel in position. That means the wheel will probably tip out at the top a little more. The panhard bar mounts to the center section so side to side clearance may also vary. Any way you slice it theres only about an inch total to work with, of side to side room. Might still rub in a turn at speed but it shouldn't hurt the tire if it does.

Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

yeeow.  that is a close side to side spacing on the tire
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

UGLY OLDS

Looks good Matt .. 8)  
Thanks for showing us how ..... );b(

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****