Two piece HEI distributor

Started by Okiedokie, July 28, 2016, 05:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okiedokie

Bought a Speedway 302 Ford motor built be Blueprint Motors. It has a two piece HEI distributor. I want to change to a Pertronix dist so that I can access the two ports into the intake for temp sensors. The lower portion of the HEI is refusing to release from the oil pump shaft. Anyone had any experience with these two piece units?

41woodie

Quote from: "Okiedokie"Bought a Speedway 302 Ford motor built be Blueprint Motors. It has a two piece HEI distributor. I want to change to a Pertronix dist so that I can access the two ports into the intake for temp sensors. The lower portion of the HEI is refusing to release from the oil pump shaft. Anyone had any experience with these two piece units?

I told you Ford engines were nothing but trouble! Hee, hee

wayne petty

Quote from: "Okiedokie"Bought a Speedway 302 Ford motor built be Blueprint Motors. It has a two piece HEI distributor. I want to change to a Pertronix dist so that I can access the two ports into the intake for temp sensors. The lower portion of the HEI is refusing to release from the oil pump shaft. Anyone had any experience with these two piece units?

does the distributor housing turn..  i have found the housings seized in the block just below the hold down clamp...

its so bad that i have taken to greasing that hole and the distributor housing.

i have had to get destructive and loop a chain and bolt it to its self to allow me to use a slide hammer straight up hooked to the chain..  its really hard on the distributor..  

EDIT... spray the base of the distributor where it goes into the block with WD40.. and slowly work the housing back and forth with a combo wrench on the flats.. till you can get it to wiggle out..  

warning.. with a ford..  the oil pump shaft should have a cupped star washer like device on it..  this goes UP to prevent the intermediate shaft from coming out of the top of the oil pump..

in over 35 years.. i have only once needed to pull the pan..  pull the oil pump.. use a really long hex rod to drive the oil pump shaft and housing up from the bottom.  

i don't know which block and distributor you have also...  does not make a difference other than the  issue i have run into with 5.0L blocks that came with a TFI type distributor needing a not available so far longer intermediate shaft .. the duraspark distributors shaft is about half an inch shorter..  i don't know where the difference is in the block..  i have not gone that far.. i do know that i have had to assemble engines with only 5/16 or 3/8 of oil pump shaft engagement  it was enought i contemplated chopping off some of the oil pump mounting flange.  i don't know if anybody else noticed.. i tend to check things like engagement when i assemble an engine..  it was not enough to come out of the oil pump but it was really close.

best of luck..  you can also use 2x4s and big screw drivers or tire irons..  and when i say screwdriver.. i am talking the 36" long 5/8 blade width versions..

Okiedokie

Thanks Wayne but it is a two piece distributor. It is the bottom section [gear and shaft engagement ] that is difficult to remove. I have actually moved on and will live with the HEI.