Crank Pulley Question

Started by 41woodie, July 13, 2016, 10:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41woodie

Finally getting around to installing A/C on my '41 Ford.  Engine is a generic 350.  Because the engine was installed further forward than is usually seen.  The clearance between the nose of the short water pump and radiator is pretty minimal.  I've been running a two groove pump pulley and a two groove crank pulley. In order to run A/C, PS and Alternator the normal arrangement is to use an add-on single groove crank pulley in addition to the two groove.  
If possible I need to stay with the two groove pulleys because the third piece is interfering with the mechanical fan.  Anyone seen this done or have suggestions on the parts and belt routing necessary to accomplish this?

papastoyss

Quote from: "41woodie"Finally getting around to installing A/C on my '41 Ford.  Engine is a generic 350.  Because the engine was installed further forward than is usually seen.  The clearance between the nose of the short water pump and radiator is pretty minimal.  I've been running a two groove pump pulley and a two groove crank pulley. In order to run A/C, PS and Alternator the normal arrangement is to use an add-on single groove crank pulley in addition to the two groove.  
If possible I need to stay with the two groove pulleys because the third piece is interfering with the mechanical fan.  Anyone seen this done or have suggestions on the parts and belt routing necessary to accomplish this?
You probably don't want to hear this but you probably are better off to bite the bullet & move the motor/trans mounts as far back as possible. If you stay w/the mechanical fan you will need a shroud for sure. Seems like the add on single groove pulley was for PS only.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

41woodie

Quote from: "papastoyss"
Quote from: "41woodie"Finally getting around to installing A/C on my '41 Ford.  Engine is a generic 350.  Because the engine was installed further forward than is usually seen.  The clearance between the nose of the short water pump and radiator is pretty minimal.  I've been running a two groove pump pulley and a two groove crank pulley. In order to run A/C, PS and Alternator the normal arrangement is to use an add-on single groove crank pulley in addition to the two groove.  
You probably don't want to hear this but you probably are better off to bite the bullet & move the motor/trans mounts as far back as possible. If you stay w/the mechanical fan you will need a shroud for sure. Seems like the add on single groove pulley was for PS only.

Well that ain't happening...I'll figure it out sooner or later, I just thought someone might have already solved the problem and wouldn't mind sharing how they did it.  Thanks

enjenjo

You could drive the AC compressor off the rear belt, and drive the alternator off the second pulley on the AC compressor.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

41woodie

Quote from: "enjenjo"You could drive the AC compressor off the rear belt, and drive the alternator off the second pulley on the AC compressor.

I was hoping you'd respond to my question.  I'll check that possibility in the morning.  Not sure that a belt running between the AC & Alt won't interfere with the upper radiator hose, but that may be an easier fix

Okiedokie

I think you should move the motor back.

41woodie

Quote from: "Okiedokie"I think you should move the motor back.

What time will you be here to help with that