Buyer questions about my 32

Started by BFS57, June 28, 2016, 11:36:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
Trying to sell my 32 Victoria. Posted on Craigs List in San Fran. Got pretty good results but am findiong that almost every potential buyer is asking the same question, "Steel or Glass?" And thats about as far as it goes!
I told the last guy that if it was steel, the price would be someplace around $60K, not $39K!!
Whats the deal here, anyone have this kind of reaction trying to sell their car?

Bruce

58 Yeoman

It's the craigslist mentality. I have a welding table for sale, and had one guy email asking if it was still available. I said yes. Never heard from him again. Another guy emailed and said he was definitely interested...never heard from again.

Had a guy email me this am asking if I'd take less. We emailed back and forth, and he said he will call me when he's on his way. We'll see if he makes it.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

My answer is: it's a buyer's market. Most who are watching know that there's been a downturn on pricing and they're looking for a bargain.
TEAM SMART

Beck

If you could score a "steel" 32 Vicky for $39k would you make a mad dash for it? Most would. They are just looking to turn it for a profit.

I have found the best way to eliminate the stupid questions is to give as much information as possible about my sale item.

I am having a similar Craigslist problem currently. When my father passed away I was left with over 60 R/C planes. I listed them with a general description. I can't tell you all the crazy questions. At least initially my answer was "Yep, I got it!" Now, some of the more desirable planes have been sold.

BFS57

Hello;
Thanks for your all observations. At least now I know it isn't me!
Really want to sell this car. Anyone got a better medium than CraigsList?

Bruce

kb426

Gary at Cornhusker told me a few years ago that he used Hotrod Hotline. He said every car he sold went over seas.
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"It's the craigslist mentality. I have a welding table for sale, and had one guy email asking if it was still available. I said yes. Never heard from him again. Another guy emailed and said he was definitely interested...never heard from again.

Had a guy email me this am asking if I'd take less. We emailed back and forth, and he said he will call me when he's on his way. We'll see if he makes it.

He came and got the table, and was very happy with it. Yay.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Fairly normal on car ad like yours  from what friends tell me.

The "no show" from Craig's List is like a rule or something.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

When I tried to sell my 69 GP on CL, every caller wanted to know if it was stock. When I'd say no, they wanted to jabber about old cars for half an hour but there was never a lick of interest no matter how low the price went.

My friend Gary has also successfully used hotrodhotline several times. Says its worth it.
Matt

BFS57

Quote from: "idrivejunk"When I tried to sell my 69 GP on CL, every caller wanted to know if it was stock. When I'd say no, they wanted to jabber about old cars for half an hour but there was never a lick of interest no matter how low the price went.

My friend Gary has also successfully used hotrodhotline several times. Says its worth it.

Thats some good news, I'll get goin on it first thing tomorrow

Bruce

lofat46

Take a look at streetrodding.com.  They seem to have a pretty decent listing of cars for sale.

Arnold

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"It's the craigslist mentality. I have a welding table for sale, and had one guy email asking if it was still available. I said yes. Never heard from him again. Another guy emailed and said he was definitely interested...never heard from again.

A lot of people online..and on the online junk papers..(CL,Kijiji) have no interest..or respect..for you or your stuff..they are simply re-sellers..they try and act as middlemen..
 This is the main reason that you see so many ads saying "Do not contact me and ask if it is for sale"..and others saying "if the ad is up it is still for sale"
  It is so common now for people to give you their names,addy's p#'s etc..make concrete plans..and not show up..let alone call..that it is VERY hard not to pass judgement..that is just the way it is now..
  I have a house for sale..real estate agents do it..
  I set aside time when I will be home..to do other stuff..if people show up they show up.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Arnold"
 A lot of people online..and on the online junk papers..(CL,Kijiji) have no interest..or respect..for you or your stuff..they are simply re-sellers..they try and act as middlemen..
 This is the main reason that you see so many ads saying "Do not contact me and ask if it is for sale"..and others saying "if the ad is up it is still for sale"
  It is so common now for people to give you their names,addy's p#'s etc..make concrete plans..and not show up..let alone call..that it is VERY hard not to pass judgement..that is just the way it is now..
  I set aside time when I will be home..to do other stuff..if people show up they show up.

A friend used one of the "Hotrod" selling cars sites.  He used Craig's list too.

But...... He thrives on phone calls. He was in sales for decades.  Can talk for ever or stop someone in their tracks.  He was built for sales.  

On the flip side:  Told this story many times.  Guy came to my house to look at a 383 chevy engine I had for sale many years ago on Craig's List.

Looked the engine over good. Fresh engine, No intake. Oil pan was loose for look see at the bottom end.  We shook hands, made plans for payment and pickup.  NO cash deposit.  NO show , No calls, NOT answer my calls or email.

Still have the engine short block.  Never been fired. I did use the heads on different engine. Took the camshaft out too.  LOL
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "Arnold"

A friend used one of the "Hotrod" selling cars sites.  He used Craig's list too.

But...... He thrives on phone calls. He was in sales for decades.  Can talk for ever or stop someone in their tracks.  He was built for sales.  

On the flip side:  Told this story many times.  Guy came to my house to look at a 383 chevy engine I had for sale many years ago on Craig's List.

Looked the engine over good. Fresh engine, No intake. Oil pan was loose for look see at the bottom end.  We shook hands, made plans for payment and pickup.  NO cash deposit.  NO show , No calls, NOT answer my calls or email.

Still have the engine short block.  Never been fired. I did use the heads on different engine. Took the camshaft out too.  LOL

I've been "flipping" cars for a little while and while I may buy stuff off of craigslist, it usually has * issues of some sort, i'll get that straightened out as I seem to have time for that nowadays;) and make a buck or two....i'll get the low-ballers (with no balls,btw)....have no problem telling them no anymore although I've got this 65 marlin that I can't seem to give away so when the c/l ad runs out in a couple of weeks, it'll become a parts car...
1 thing I WILL NOT do is call somebody back after they make an offer (and don't follow thru) begging them to pay as it's ALWAYS the first guy with cash that get's it.

I mighta turned into a * lately;)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

BFS57

Hello;
I'm with you! Some of these B-holes really rub me the wrong way.
I think a more serious site like Hot Rod Hotline would be a better medium.
I did however, have a guy contact me from a business that sells classics on consignment! After I read about them on their web, I wouldn't even let them sell my car as it seemed that they get more $$$ than the seller does!!!
I'm not going to let it get in my way of driving the wheels off my car as over the years I have owned this car, I have taken good care of it, and made all the upgrades as things have reared their ugly heads!!
It's a great "turn key car" and I don't mind having someone drool over it, even if it's inside their mind only!!

Bruce