Rustproofing Q

Started by Arnold, June 21, 2016, 06:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

I already went ahead and did it :lol: I used some spray roofing tar that I had around. Aerosol. Has so much solvent in it(as well as high rubber content) it can be sprayed on wet/snowy/icy surfaces :lol:
Says it has "rust protection" in it. Really designed for emergency roof/gutter repairs :lol:
I have used it for years on roofs/gutters etc. It is for sure a great leak finder! Spray lots of it where you think it is leaking..it WILL find the leak. Hope you like tar wherever it runs too :lol:
Comes in aerosol,brush,trowel grade. I have used it all. Does not really "skin" over. Stays pliable.
  I could not not try it :twisted: I guess if it can be applied to wet metal it has enough ability to drive out moisture :roll:
  Oh..this stuff sucked right into rusty metal..seemed to cover nice and look good.

I DID phone the manufacturer..and ask/talk to them about it..they said they had NEVER heard of it being used for this :lol: they said "because of it's very high(really :roll: ) solvent content they could not reccommend it being used for this in case someone sprayed their catalytic converter"..NO..really :?: or "other parts of the exhaust or other parts that got really hot..as it would then be an extreme fire hazard..NO really :lol:

I did a road test comparing it to some wax oil aerosol that I had had kicking around (my buddy left a bunch of it with me in the 1980's..((don't want to rush testing/using it :lol: )) They looked..went on pretty similar. The wax oil stuff was twice as expensive and went half as far.

Did the drivers side with the roofing tar and the passenger side with the wax oil  8)

Time will tell I guess. I am still going to wand the inaccessible spots.

I DO know about the old tar..and OLD rustproofing..think early Ziebart..

Up here you really do need some sort of protection against salt pieces/sand/gravel etc pounding away at the metal. Gotta love that factory stuff that gets hard,pulls away from the metal creating a nice bed of moisture..then cracks..

Tried this on a pretty expensive ride so I hope it works..(think winter daily driver one of 2 old Police Cruisers :lol:)