english wheel???

Started by trint_one, September 18, 2004, 09:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trint_one

My question has anyone here build the english wheel featured on the home page of this site and does it  work ok ??? :?:

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "trint_one"My question has anyone here build the english wheel featured on the home page of this site and does it  work ok ??? :?:

========== it was built by Frank II & Frank III .  They are Fat Cat & enjenjo , whom operate this bbs.

I'd say it does work well..  8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

sport.

I think it works very good.I have used mine countless times.

EMSjunkie

I am buliding one right now, should be done in a few weeks, I'll let you know after that, but I think its gonna be a killer wheel  :D  :D

Vance

"we are born naked, wet, and hungry, then things get worse"
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

trint_one

thxx guys "emsjunkie" look forward to your review I'm going to get started building my own also real soon  :D

Leon

Just got mine done this weekend.  Now all I have to do is learn how to keep my fingers out of it!

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Leon"Just got mine done this weekend.  Now all I have to do is learn how to keep my fingers out of it!

Looks good.  When will you have mine done  :? .

Are you using 2 X 6 Square tubing for the main frame?

c ya, Sum

unklian

Check out the links in my signature to learn more about English wheels,
how to make and how to use them.

Leon

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Looks good.  When will you have mine done  :? .

Are you using 2 X 6 Square tubing for the main frame?

c ya, Sum
Your didn't get done, I ran out of materials   :lol:

The main frame is 4 X 6, the upright piece is 1/4" thick and the upper and lower are 3/16".  I filled the whole thing with about 125 pounds of sand to deaden it, before I did it rang like a huge tuning fork.  Now it feels real stable.

48flatbed

I built one from the plans on this site and was very pleased.  I was surprised how quickly this can smooth out hammer marks.  My first project to try this on was a fender for my wifes motorcycle worked so well I started building a large E-wheel for use on car panels.

carnut1100

I'm going to start building the small wheel from this site in the next few weeks. Where did you guys get the plans for that big one, and what did you do for rollers?

Leon

Quote from: "carnut1100"I'm going to start building the small wheel from this site in the next few weeks. Where did you guys get the plans for that big one, and what did you do for rollers?
I got the wheels and a book with plans on Ebay.  The guy I got mine from was Clark Osborne, (hightechturning on ebay).  Check  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3841206381 for his latest auction.  The stuff I got from him was excellent quality.  I only made one mistake when I got mine - I dropped the 42 pound box with the top wheel on my foot and broke it.  The wheel came out of it without a scratch.  This guy makes them one set after another so if the bidding goes too high one week, check his other items for sale and bid the next time.  I got mine for $400, the next week a set went for $600.  I got the steel off the remnant pile at the local steel yard for less than $100.  The plans that came with the wheels describes 4 sizes, I built close to the 34" plans.  they also have specs for a 44" and 2 smaller sizes.  The book also gives detailed info on material sizes to prevent deflection when using the wheel.