Hydrolyc throw out bearing

Started by 416Ford, June 08, 2016, 08:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

416Ford

I have been fighting the clutch issues on my buddy Vance's car for weeks now.  We bleed the brakes as instructed, we adjusted the pedal rod and almost every other thing that it takes to make it work. We are missing something or we have a junk part....
According to the parts store they don't have defective parts......(still laughing at that one)
We have a McLeod clutch rod set up, Howe throw out bearing and a Cengterforce clutch.
https://goo.gl/photos/kM3ki4nFUT4oYVUr9

We have no air in the system according to the lack of air bubbles in the fluid tub when the bleeder is sitting in it and we go threw the motions,

We are only getting about a 1/4" of movement in the throw out bearing. We pulled the trans back out last night to check movement on the bearing and it is the same as what we saw threw the fork opening.

We had to install something to eliminate the Zbar with the new sub frame.

We already missed the first car show now next week is in danger also...HELP

Thanks Dave
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

Beck

I am NOT a manual trans guy so take this with a grain of salt.

The hydraulic setups need to be placed at the right place on the input sleeve. In some cases there are spacers used to position the whole assembly out further to have enough travel. There are several throw out assemblies available for different depths. My thought is your clutch/trans input is a mismatch for your throw out assy.

chimp koose

I helped a student out with a hydro clutch this year . Same problems you are having . When we did a bench bleed in the vice I found a lot of trapped air bubbles in the line going from reservoir to master cyl. When it was finally bled out to no bubbles it worked fine .

416Ford

Beck, I am NOT a manual trans guy either.
We did space the bearing according to the specification with the shims. We are having an issue with the amount of Push from the bearing.

Chimp, how can we solve this problem now? The reservoir does not lend well to capping and pressurizing to move the fluid. I think we bench bled it but that was two months ago or three....
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

idrivejunk

Have you tried tilting the vehicle different ways? It can cause bubbles to move.

We had a similar scenario at the shop before and our man got past it. I'll question that guy about his solution. Pretty sure it was a matter of not being able to shim correctly until completely bled.
Matt

Beck

In worst case scenarios, I have a vacuum pump that I use when I bleed brakes. I put a supply of fresh fluid into the cylinder and apply vacuum to the wheel end. There is no way of infusing air into the system using this. It could work for the clutch also.

Before I go to the extreme of the vacuum pump I use a special plate on the cylinder that has  compression tubing fittings connected to a jar. I use 1/4" nylon tubing but yellow fuel line would work. The cylinder hose has a dip pipe to the bottom of the jar. Another fitting just goes inside the lid. I fill the jar with fluid and put LOW (about 5 psi) pressure from my compressor to the jar. I can see when the fluid is getting low. There is a steady stream of fresh fluid into the system.

Either of these methods require only one person. I never have a helper.

A vacuum pump will pull air out of a system even if it isn't used to pull fluid through the line. I would use fluid to break the vacuum.

416Ford

Quote from: "Beck"
A vacuum pump will pull air out of a system even if it isn't used to pull fluid through the line. I would use fluid to break the vacuum.

Tried the vac pump already, but I may need to try it again. Seems like we have done everything twice or even three times.

tomslik

I have used a vac pump on the m/c res before to suck out the air rather than at the slave.

it's worked on some stuff but not all....

you MAY need to try a pressure bleeder, also
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

kb426

If you can post some pics it will help. My exp. has been: Bleeder not where it can let out all the air, clutch pedal doesn't have enough free play to allow the master cylinder to have a full stroke of fluid, geometry of pedal linkage not correct as to allow full travel in the cylinder. I have had to remove return springs from slave cylinders to have enough travel but that is n/a in your case.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

We bench bled the one I was talking about literally in the vice at the work bench. I was surprized at the amount of trapped bubbles that we got out by tapping on things to break the bubbles free . The assembly was installed after it had already been bled.

idrivejunk

I questioned our guy about how he solved a similar scenario. He asked if it was self-bleeding or not. Said if it only has one line its a self-bleeder, and that a thousand pumps over several days may be needed. He also cautioned about pedal ratio. One ride was built then after the carpet and padding were all in, there wasn't enough travel. So... check pedal? Best I can do.
Matt

416Ford

We pulled it back apart two more times before we fixed the ********.
That's right, We have no idea what it was... I finally made up a bar to mount on the back of the bell housing so I could see what it was doing and it worked perfect. Put it back together and now we have a clutch.

Rrumbler

All this new technology.....

Whatever happened to good old levers and fulcrums???

:wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :D  8)
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

416Ford

Quote from: "Rrumbler"All this new technology.....

Whatever happened to good old levers and fulcrums???

:wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :D  8)

This is what happens when you try and upgrade a Chevy. :)