Computer (AVG Anti-virus) question

Started by purplepickup, September 18, 2004, 10:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

I've got two computers networked thru a router and am running Norton System Works on both of them.  The anit-virus automatic updates subscription expired on one of the computers and rather than renew it I've thought about trying AVG Anti-Virus which I've heard good things about.....and it's free.  I don't want to uninstall System Works, unless I have to, since it has features I like and use.  My question is, can I install AVG and run it on one machine and leave System Works installed and use it?  I checked the FAQ's on AVG's site but didn't see anything about this.
George

Sean

I use AVG, McAfee, AdAware, and Spyware Blaster on my Computer and I just did an update through Microsoft that added their Virus protection. It may slow things down a bit, but I haven't had any Viruses for a long time.

Spyware Blaster blocks most of the Spy's and what it doesn't block, AdAware will catch and remove. Both of them, along with the AVG, were free downloads and I update them all at least once a week.

Crosley.In.AZ

I am now using the AVG stuff on three pc's.  After 3 un sucessful upgrades & down loads from Norton.  I've used norton for several years till now.  I got tired of the troubles for 5 weeks

I removed the Norton stuff.  BUT , it still fires up to a system check on friday eves.  Norton tells me to go into 'control panel' , then ' add/remove programs'........... there is nothing there labeled Norton to remove.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"
I removed the Norton stuff.  BUT , it still fires up to a system check on friday eves.  Norton tells me to go into 'control panel' , then ' add/remove programs'........... there is nothing there labeled Norton to remove.

I removed Norton a couple years ago and still have those same problems.  With me I never know when it is going to happen.  I would also like to stop the system checks as they tell me the boot information has changed and ask me if I want to repair it.  Since I've changed hard disks and done other things in that period of time I'm sure that if it repaired it like it wants to a lot of things would go wrong.

I'm worried someone else, not to metion names, might be on the computer when it asks that and they will click on "yes" and then I'll have a real mess.  I thought I had it fixed once and then about a month later it took off on it's checks once again.

c ya, Sum

trint_one

Ok first of all guys i use avg free all the time and have had no trouble out it . updates very nice and has gotten many trojans out of my system...and its not in your face like nortan or macfee.....Ok now to remove nortan go to programs and look for the folder that nortan is in and delet that you will need to remove all of the other programs that come with nortans like disk doctor  for they are junk anyway...if this fails I have a program called regcleaner that will take it out just let me know if you need it the website dont offer the free version anymore but i have many copies

SKR8PN

Quote from: "purplepickup"I've got two computers networked thru a router and am running Norton System Works on both of them.  The anit-virus automatic updates subscription expired on one of the computers and rather than renew it I've thought about trying AVG Anti-Virus which I've heard good things about.....and it's free.  I don't want to uninstall System Works, unless I have to, since it has features I like and use.  My question is, can I install AVG and run it on one machine and leave System Works installed and use it?  I checked the FAQ's on AVG's site but didn't see anything about this.

Just so ya know George.........Virus's aren't the worse thing to worry about anymore. I got hit with the latest a greatest "about-blank" hi-jacker. Nortons missed it,Adaware and CWShredder would't  touch it.........I ended up having to re-format my 'puter to get rid of it. Since I had to re-format anyway,I updated to Windows XP.  Back to the "about-blank" thing........It is a NASTY little hi-jacker in that it not only changes your homepage,but this one also turned off the sound on my modem and had an auto dialer that was putting my 'puter "online" without my knowledge!  I discovered it was trying to use my 'puter as a server !!!
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

btrc

I'm going to have to try some of those free programs Sean mentioned.  I'm typing this from my computer at work because the one at home is so screwed up I can barely use it.  I haven't been on this forum except twice since the 4th of July.  Hopefully I can get the one at home going good enough to download the programs. Otherwise I guess I'll be reformatting too.

Bob
Bob

Sean

Quote from: "btrc"I'm going to have to try some of those free programs Sean mentioned.  I'm typing this from my computer at work because the one at home is so screwed up I can barely use it.  I haven't been on this forum except twice since the 4th of July.  Hopefully I can get the one at home going good enough to download the programs. Otherwise I guess I'll be reformatting too.

Bob

Something else a lot of people forget about is Defragging and taking Junk out of the Computer.

About a year after I got my first computer, it was running really slow, crashing regularly, and only doing what it was supposed to do about 1/2 of the time. A friend with more computer experience came over and showed me how to remove all the old programs I wasn't using anymore. He then burned all my saved pictures and music onto CD's (amazing how much space that takes up), and showed me how to Defrag.

Ran like it was brand new after that. I defrag every couple of months now, and burn pics and music regularly to get them off the computer (I have 1200MB of Pics and Music in it now, I'd say I'm due...)

Crosley.In.AZ

Since we are on topic of puters here.... many moths ago I was fighting problems with some un-known item.

I have found that my winproxy was causing problems.  Could not down load some photos, system was slowed down at times ( network of 3 pc , 1 - Mac).

I changed Winproxy from auto- start to manual .  All problems are gone now.  I use WinProxy only when I need it.  If troubles with web sites or slow performance come up, I close Winproxy.

I am looking at other options for my network now.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Itsa37Ford

Quote from: "purplepickup"I've got two computers networked thru a router and am running Norton System Works on both of them.  The anit-virus automatic updates subscription expired on one of the computers and rather than renew it I've thought about trying AVG Anti-Virus which I've heard good things about.....and it's free.  I don't want to uninstall System Works, unless I have to, since it has features I like and use.  My question is, can I install AVG and run it on one machine and leave System Works installed and use it?  I checked the FAQ's on AVG's site but didn't see anything about this.

AVG has been in use at my house for a number of years now.  No problems, always trusted.  Infact I recommend it to all of my collegues at work for their own personal use.  I am the I.S. Security Officer at a financial service bureau and have tested it with some of the best and much more expensive anti-virus software.  AVG is pretty much self sufficient and operates on its own quite nicely.  Upgrading to their paid version is very rewarding as you can customize it to be a very strong interceptor or to just the basic protection.  I highly recommend it for either the free personal version or the paid commercial version.  

An excellent source of information and leads to free security software that I have been using for the past 4-5 years is at :  http://www.firewallguide.com/
Check it out, very good and comprehensive site.
Cheers!
. . . / DALE

trint_one

hijack this is a neat program that will let you go into your browzer and take out those nasty programs guys here the link to down load it its free http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html you dont have to format  the authors web site is there also to show just how to use it its not real hard but you can mess things up with it good luck

mopar2dr

I run AVG on all my puters. One way to get rid of all the gremlins that keep bugging you after a "uninstall" is to go to www.acelogix.com/ and download ace utillities and registry tune-up (both free to use/thirty days) You won't believe the crap that is hanging around and causing problems. After this is done download a copy of spywareblaster(again FREE) and activate it to protect your browser from hijacking. Now the the kicker, try Firefox browser at www.mozilla.org this puppy is fast and secure with lots of neat features. It will block popups,ad-ware by adding extensions from the Tools options and it has tab browsing. And best of all it's free. Well got to go hang more drywall and fill them gaps. Old houses ain't square!!!!  :x
I got lost in thought, it was unfamiliar territory!

purplepickup

I uninstalled Norton System Works and reinstalled it and somehow my subscription to Live Update was extended (this has worked for me before).  So I guess I'll keep Norton for a while, but my question is, can I run AVG and System Works at the same time?  Things have been running real good since I got my new computer and networked it with the old one back in March.  It would be a real bummer to mess it up.   Like they say....."If it works, don't fix it".

I'm already running a few pest control softwares......Spybot Search and Destroy, AdAware, AdSubtract Pro, and ZoneAlarm Pro but it's interesting to hear everyone's experiences with some of other ones.  Thanks.
George