1969 Camaro bodywork

Started by idrivejunk, May 01, 2016, 12:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris spokes

oh no we have lost photos
he who has the most toys wins

idrivejunk

Today the doors, roof, fender, and package tray came in. All DC and unhurt. The roof and package tray are just laying there and the trunk gutters you see were in the car already. I spent the day screwing the quarters on and fitting them around the edges. Should be decent except where the tail panel got welded to the quarter at the bottom left corner previously. Sliced the right outer wheelhouse to allow the quarter to go on but no pic of that yet.

Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chris spokes"oh no we have lost photos

So far, thats always been temporary. Looks like they came back. Its the hosting site. When they do maintainence sometimes the pics flake out for a short while.
Matt

chris spokes

yep they are back now looking good so far  8)
he who has the most toys wins

idrivejunk

Thanks! Heres some more.

Today, I hung doors, got the roof into place, fitted the right gutter to the quarter, chopped out the old package tray and clamped the new one roughly in place. I gotta tell you I am well pleased by the new metal. Particularly the spectacular fit of the roof at the right sail panel. This roof is different than the one on the '68. No indent, no patch required. I so very like that. Doors are not too shabby either. Some channel locks and a couple calculated whacks against the table got the gutter to match up. A good day.

Matt

UGLY OLDS

Looks Good ...Pretty soon we play "connect the dots"  :?:  :lol:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

chimp koose

JEEZ that car is sure coming together. All that work helps to understand why the body shop has a car for so long. Nice pictures by the way!

idrivejunk

Thanks guys. Theres a long way to go to get to the plug weld festival but thats where I'm headed.

Spent most of the day squatting in the car, although I was dodging sparks less than Thurs. Mostly only took pics with the shop cam. The package tray mounting areas are all free from scraps and rust converter has been applied to them. The package tray is screwed and clamped in except for the gutter joints, and is level now.

The right trunk hinge's upper support needed repair from being cut off and welded twice, so I fixed that. Thought I got a pic with it in, but didn't. No matter. Did get a pic showing a peek of how I cut the right outer wheelhouse. I've been spending a little time each day just cleaning the car up, too. This thing was a pig pen.

I am ready to get the measuring device back out to get the gutters and tray perfect. The right gutter thats on now will have to come back off and see Mr Stretcher for correction at the top end, probably the left also.

I determined that theres no need to move the Y-braces since their current location still works. I am going to see if I can get the broom tech to shear, brake, and punch or drill a bunch of L-strips to plug weld in around this and the 68's poorly welded wheelhouse-to-floor seams, to save on my labor.

Matt

UGLY OLDS

And just like that .......It's a hatchback..... :shock:  :lol:  :lol:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

You KNOW I thought that as I stood where speakers go and belched loudly. So many options. :D
Matt

chimp koose

Rrumbler

I'm lovin' these series, Idrivejunk; living vicariously through your pictures.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

idrivejunk

Happy to provide metal work pics for the gang when I am able. Glad you guys enjoy the picture stories.8)

I would drive an el Camaro  :D

It would be SO easy to plop an entire FWD powertrain in that spot where the axle lives and have a Corvaro. Or even out front, if you wanted a bed. So many people would freak out so bad it might be worth it. Not on this one but you know... it could be practical on the right rustbucket.  :idea:
Matt

kb426

Years ago i saw a mustang ranchero on ebay. It appeared well done and wasn't huge money. I would have liked to own it. Whoever performed the work got the proportions real nice. So would an SS 396 Elcamero be about right?
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Yes, very!  :D  For me anyway.

That idea spark plagues me regularly. I actually envision a smog-era Nova hatchback with FWD powertrain up front and a drop tag axle like FWD minivans have out back. The hatch floor could be super-low and the exterior would remain unchanged. I have thought of this a lot and its straying off thread which is OK by me... but dig these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pontiac+el+camino&biw=1280&bih=885&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjr2NX3vsvMAhVL8CYKHQK1DnkQsAQIGw
Matt