68 Camaro bodywork

Started by idrivejunk, March 11, 2016, 03:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

If you resize the pics before posting them, you won't run out of space near as fast. What are you using for the pics and sizing?
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Matt ..It's always neat to see work being completed BUT not at the expense of your photo account ..... Maybe if you just showed us the "weird" things you find  :?:  :?:   We have seen what you can do with the first set of photos ..... 8)

You decide .... :?

Why does all the epoxy work that was completed need to be redone  :?:  Did something go wrong during the curing or  :?:

Bob... :wink:

Boy I found something wierd today. Yesterday really. There is no thread anywhere on the 69 yet but already there are stories to tell. Every day is wierd. The general consensus seems to be that theres too many pics of the same thing. Thats on purpose, but my perception of reality is so far outside the norm that I never know how what I post will be percieved.

The initial intent with any of my threads is to establish that I know a little, and that I have zero to hide. The abundance of details serves to dispell any doubts. You guys show me a lot of respect and its duly appreciated. I like how everyone has manners here  :D

I would post them all if I could. There are builds galore in my archive that are just as informative, and if you want I can link to previous adventures already completed and photobucketed. Just say the word and you can scope out the back issues of the IDJ show ha ha.

I am a little burned out on posting at this moment, to be honest. But I wanted to get these problems sorted in adequate detail. Because everyone tends to make light of the labor required, and so that aspiring car choppers can snag some free inspiration. It may / will take work to get a '69 Camaro thread up. I'll decide and you will see, sir.

About the epoxy job-

Some places have black stuff over the e-coat. Assuming its epoxy. I assumed all the metal would be done then we would sand everything down to bare or trustable substrate then re-epoxy prior to filler. I only covered my work with OER aerosol etch primer which of course is not a catalyzed product. Prep consited of blowing off then glass cleaner and a paper towel. Its not OK to wipe filler over but thats whats happening. Its just getting feathered out like the rest and wiped over. It seems asking them to wipe that stuff off with a thinner rag to get to bare steel... is asking too much. I have no control but I said my peace about it. I am OK wiping bare steel with no epoxy but not wiping filler on top of rattle can crap.

Thats what I meant about re-doing the epoxy. We haven't sprayed anything on it yet, its as-recieved as far as that goes.
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"If you resize the pics before posting them, you won't run out of space near as fast. What are you using for the pics and sizing?

I do realize this. But it just seems like the pics this resolution are best for conveying what I wish to. I have resized thousands of pics individually but its torture. That was in the mag forum days and forum width worked best with 640x480. If I were to make a change in size, I would do so on the camera. I think this size is the best balance, but theres so many devices in use today that I don't know what works for who.

I use a Canon PowerShot A540, ancient. This is a medium size setting and I just drag pics direct to photobucket.

In the future, I'll just shoot for a sensible tracking of progress and point out the highs. To sorta ration the hosting space thats left. Much obliged, for your input.
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "enjenjo"Matt, I would like to see what tools, and your technique for grinding the welds.

Good question! My previous half-hearted answer didn't quite cut it? Good. :D

Alright sir, glad to share the info with you and the group. My process isn't set in stone, but there is definitely a S.O.P. I'm gonna draw a technique picture for you, my friend. Plus show the exact abrasives I use. The tools used to spin them are less important and actually kind of pathetic but you'll see those too.

Its coming soon. :arrow:
Matt

kb426

Matt, in case you use windows 7 or newer, there is a gadget that allows you to right click on a photo and resize with ease. I understand about the clarity. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Oh hey, kb- the res I use is 2272 x 1704. Usually ends up around 1.8 MB per. JPGs. I was using 1600x1200 for awhile, maybe I need to poke around the camera more. I just don't want to lose much clarity. These blood-n-guts bodywork pics tell so much more than most of what you see around the web. These are gritty real-world work documentation that in my mind, make a fine resume. Should the need arise, that is!

You deserve emoticons in your post, too. My bad-  :-o :oops:  :shock:  :lol:  

Would you like some cool Pepsi?  8) :T)
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"Matt, in case you use windows 7 or newer, there is a gadget that allows you to right click on a photo and resize with ease. I understand about the clarity. :)

Got 10. Is there anything for batch resizing? Obviously I want my archive to be hi-res but the posting at original size may be my lazy showing... just a little. :wink:
Matt

kb426

I haven't tried so that means I haven't looked. :)
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "idrivejunk"
Quote from: "kb426"Matt, in case you use windows 7 or newer, there is a gadget that allows you to right click on a photo and resize with ease. I understand about the clarity. :)

Got 10. Is there anything for batch resizing? Obviously I want my archive to be hi-res but the posting at original size may be my lazy showing... just a little. :wink:

I use irfanview  http://download.cnet.com/IrfanView/
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

I remember Irfanview. Never did use it but I remember "of" it. I may just bump the camera res down a tad and see how that flies for now. I'll have no great need for showing textures and weld pits on upcoming posts.

Got that pic about half drawn but ran outta gas for today. Fear not, all will be revealed. Writing it up is making me realize how many steps there are. In my mind, its just me listening to the radio and swinging a grinder so I never thought about it that much. I'll try to get some explanatory tool / usage shots.
Matt

chimp koose

I flat out enjoy seeing whatever you post . I have to attack my model T some day and your information could be used in a textbook as far as I am concerned . Thanks for all the posts

UGLY OLDS

Hi Matt ... Sorry I can't be of any help on the photo re-sizing thing ...The only way that I know to make smaller pictures is with post-it notes & shorter crayons ... :roll:

The other thing :
QuoteThe initial intent with any of my threads is to establish that I know a little, and that I have zero to hide. The abundance of details serves to dispell any doubts. You guys show me a lot of respect and its duly appreciated. I like how everyone has manners here

I think that the photos show that you know more than "just a little" & that you are justifiably proud in the work that you do..   8)
Your willingness to share and, more so , to EXPLAIN your work puts you head & shoulders above the regular guys ... :b-d:
As I have seen many times in the past , respect on this board is EARNED & not handed out all willy-nilly....  8)
For Chimp to say that your presentation could be used as a textbook is a pretty strong "Atta-Boy" ..  After all ...He IS the teacher .... :D

The only thing that you need to be careful of is accusing us of having "manners".....Remember ....SOME of us have a reputation to maintain..... :roll:  :P  :shock:  :?  :lol:

Thanks again ...
Bob ...
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Carnut

idrivejunk

Big grin on my end, Rodders  );b(  :b-d:

O what a day it has been. Amid a stream of chaos, positive things have happened all day long. Now I get home and read these things...

I always appreciate folks stepping in to speak. Thank you. This is a unique group and a sane place to spend time. When I'm enjoying my task, I think of how many others would be, too. So I share. If it can't be hands-on, it can be eyes-on.

Family things ate up some day after work, so late start today. Thats OK because theres only a couple pics again. Almost forgot but thought of the roundtable as I walked out.

Enjenjo, I decided your request should be a thread. And I'm still working on that. More family stuff tomorrow but thats #1. Dad, Mom, and Br'er are pretty awesome to share with, too. Today was chaotic and I didn't get the pics I need anyway. Gonna be awhile before I shift from screws to welding, too. Might be rain on the way, and thats a good time to do interwebbins and drawerings.

Looky there. This thing may look alright painted after all.

A thread on the 69 is a rapidly growing, weekend-sized task at this point. Such an adventure! Re-sizing is another thing I'll look into prior to getting that going, and thanks for the options on that. I shall investigate.   :arrow:
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "Carnut"For bulk image resizing I use Pliska resizer.

Free Download here:

http://download.cnet.com/PLiska-Image-Resizer/3000-2192_4-10411174.html

This has to work good if you suggested it. Your page has always been amazing. Thanks  :)
Matt