2021: .. Tool reviews & suggestions

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, February 18, 2016, 10:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"^^^^^^
No video required. :)

No problem.  No video or photos

On the tool front:  I bought a high speed 3" disc cutter from Harbor Freight.  New brand: Chief , suppose to have some more power.  I have 2 worn out units.  hope this new one does well.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Crosley.In.AZ

Tracking shows my new Chief brand high speed cut off tool , should be here monday.

On the Lowes tool brands:  I read on other forums the speculation that Craftsman brand is being moved in to replace Kobalt.  

Other guys have mentioned that they have seen Kobalt mechanic tools on the displays  reduced.  Some of these guys are over on the east coast.  The tools were removed and Not placed on discount shelves.  Same that happened in stores near me.

Lowes has commented that these Kobalt hand  tools will be for sale online. I dont see that working well for Lowes.

Lowes does have some mechanic socket sets at 50% off sale online.  At least on saturday they were
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Crosley"Tracking shows my new Chief brand high speed cut off tool , should be here monday.

The tool is not here yet....  It is being delivered via FedX Smartpost.  Through the USPS systems.  In the past I have mentioned this is the slowest shipping in the USA.

I ordered this tool on Feb 28 , 2019....  12 days since I ordered the tool and it is not here from Callifornia yet.  LOL
Tony

papastoyss

Quote from: "Crosley"I ordered this LED light from Harbor Freight in  december.  I forgot about it.  It was on backorder and sorta thought HF would cancel the order at some point.

2 Months later , it arrived.

3 modes.  bright, low , flashlite.  The end of the arm has an LED in it for a flashlite effect.  have noticed if you turn the light on bright... leave it there for 30 seconds or more... one clik and the light turns off.  If you clik quickly, You receive all 3 modes.

Base has a magnet in it.  Strong magnet. I read some reviews where the magnet had pulled out of the end.  A re-glue process was required.  The long flat arm folds 180 degrees total.  It does NOT fold up against the base of the light.

USB charge cord.  I am not a fan of that. I do not have many USB charge ports available in the work shop.  Guess I need to get a power strip with USB ports...  I have one at work.  I just installed a wall outlet with USB ports in it for my wife near her main sitting chair in the living room
I also have one of those lights. It's real handy for working inside a car/truck door.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Crosley.In.AZ

Received my new disc cut off tool.  Chief brand from Harbor Freight..

Adjustable disc guard on it. Spring loaded. Pull it out, twist to relocate.  Plenty of power with 130 psi air to it.

It's direction is reversible. You can keep the sparks going away from your body.  Photos later.  thanks
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Photo of the Chief cut off unit.

Behind the "F" on the logo is the sleeve that rotates to change the direction of the cut off wheel disc.   I like the direction change , seems handy.  I have not had any problem with my hand moving the sleeve by accident , yet.

Body is a composite of some type (plastic) over a metal body. The disc shield is plastic. Disc shield rotates a full 360 degrees.  Has notches in it to locate and keep in desired position.

8)
Tony

kb426

Tony, looks good enough that I ordered one. Less sparks in my world would be good. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"Tony, looks good enough that I ordered one. Less sparks in my world would be good. :)

Only difference from a regular disc cutter is the double bolt retaining  system on the disc... a left handed allen type bolt inside a hollow bolt to hold the disc on.  Likely because of the reverse feature so the disc does not spin off and go flying about loose.
Tony

purplepickup

Got a question for the Dewalt guys. I switched from Craftsman to Dewalt 20v 5 years ago and now I want to get an impact wrench. I see they have two kinds. One with a hog ring anvil and one with a detent pin anvil. The detent one is cheaper. Any recommendations?

Also, if anyone has a model DCF894, how do you like it?
George

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "purplepickup"Got a question for the Dewalt guys. I switched from Craftsman to Dewalt 20v 5 years ago and now I want to get an impact wrench. I see they have two kinds. One with a hog ring anvil and one with a detent pin anvil. The detent one is cheaper. Any recommendations?

Also, if anyone has a model DCF894, how do you like it?

Friction ring is more common for use in light to medium duty.  The pin style will retain the socket or extension on tighter.  If the pin is the hole of the socket.. you must push the pin to release.  

I owned one pin style 1/2 inch impact about 35+ years ago. I rounded over the edges of the pin with a small grinder so I could get the sockets off by hand instead of prying them off.  YMMV
Tony

kb426

Tony, my cut off tool arrived today. So far, all I know is it turns both directions and makes some noise. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: "Crosley"Photo of the Chief cut off unit.

Behind the "F" on the logo is the sleeve that rotates to change the direction of the cut off wheel disc.   I like the direction change , seems handy.  I have not had any problem with my hand moving the sleeve by accident , yet.

Body is a composite of some type (plastic) over a metal body. The disc shield is plastic. Disc shield rotates a full 360 degrees.  Has notches in it to locate and keep in desired position.

8)
Pretty sweet. I used to borrow a reversible... oh maybe BluePoint... off my friend sometimes. Being able to switch directions rather than get up to dodge sparks indeed has much appeal. );b(
Matt

kb426

I've used my H.F. cutoff tool enough to say it does it's job. I think all die grinder/ cutoff tools are air hogs but the reversible feature is nice. I used it for 30 minutes solid and it didn't quit. That may be as good as modern tools are. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

A small discovery on my Braun LED lite..  it takes a 18650 battery that is replaceable.. The charge time on this lite is too long.  I have extra 18650 batterys from my attempts to rebuild the Craftsman C3 battery packs.

Battery is in Blue ..

I swapped out to a fresh battery on this lite and keep going.  I found this lite is very handy under a vehcile or in the wheel well of the wifes car when I did the front brakes a week ago
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"I've used my H.F. cutoff tool enough to say it does it's job. I think all die grinder/ cutoff tools are air hogs but the reversible feature is nice. I used it for 30 minutes solid and it didn't quit. That may be as good as modern tools are. :)

Yes, agree.  Air hog tool.  My olde worn out cut off tool was a air hog and spent more time spooling back up to speed.  THe HF Chief brand tool is working well for me .  I am happy with the reverse feature.  Dang handy. I hope this tool holds up
Tony