HEATER HOSE FITTING

Started by GPster, January 15, 2016, 01:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

The S10 (S15) engine engine in my Jeepster originally had a radiator with a heater hose connection in one of the radiator tanks. This was part of the intake manifold heat system that took warm water flow from under the thermostat ran it through the intake manifold and used a hose to return the water to the radiator. Somewhere I saw an after-market heater installation that used a heater hose adapter fitting that allowed you to make a "T" type connection in a lower radiator hose by making a hole in the side of the larger hose and installing this fitting through the hole in the larger hose from the inside. This fitting has a shoulder that seals against the inside of the hose and a seal that is threaded down it's outside to seal the hole from the outside. When I first say this I just kept the idea in mind but didn't save any of the information. The radiator that I'm using on the Jeepster has no prevision for this extra hose in either tank and that type of fitting would make the change in radiator hose sizes and routing them around the front side of the radiator simpler, easier, cleaner. Anybody seen what I'm trying to explain and know where/what I can get it? In the old days I would have plugged it hose off and forgot it but I'm sure the computer reacts to the temperature of the intake manifold. GPster

GPster

No, but it's the kind of thing that I thought Dorman would carry (I looked at pictures of their hose fitting line.)  I'm thinking that I saw this piece when I investigated a site that someone here had referred to when they where installing an after-market heater/defroster in a vehicle. It looked like an accessory that allowed the installer to get one of their heater hose connection off a radiator hose if there was no easy way to get the supply and return hoses off of tapped holes on the engine. I just can't describe it very well. GPster

58 Yeoman

I remember having that on my 46 Ford PU. There is a MAC number in the site at Ford Barn.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82569

Mac's 91A-15160.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

348tripower

You can follow this link. I had to use on of these for the TPI in the coe.
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_TPI-TBI_Brass-Tees.html
Don Colliau

kb426

Don, that surely will be useful someday. :)
TEAM SMART

GPster

Oh Great! The weather here is calling for cold and maybe snow That part from MAC's is what I had seen. To keep me from trouble the MAC's page said temporarily out of stock. I saw the piece and it looked like maybe I should see what size the lower radiator hose was on a '32-'48 Ford V8 anyway. Then I went back and there were more replies. That JTR page was interesting. My eye's went directly to the 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 3/4" tee and I see in (S10). Now I see  why I remember JTR. It's a good thing I found a place in the Gates on line catalog that shows hoses by size with pictures. I'll look and see if the make a hose that starts 1 1/2" makes a quick 90 reduces to 1 1/4", runs 8" and makes a hard 90 back on itself. It's a shame that I don't think ABS plastic pipe won't stand the pressure and temperature. Maybe I'll get that motor running again before spring (what year). The last couple of days I thought this site was "Broke" again but it surfaced again when I had a question> GPster

Canuck

How about a sleeve to fit your rad hose with a nipple welded out the side for the heater hose?  Slice the rad hose and insert.

With the Canadian dollar trading so low and the high cost of shipping we tend to get inventive up here.

Canuck

PS:  when I was younger, a friend had a Morris Minor that had a block heater that installed in the hose, much like the Mac's fitting.  A constant source of leaks and also aged the hose much quicker.
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

348tripower

Quote from: "GPster"Oh Great! The weather here is calling for cold and maybe snow That part from MAC's is what I had seen. To keep me from trouble the MAC's page said temporarily out of stock. I saw the piece and it looked like maybe I should see what size the lower radiator hose was on a '32-'48 Ford V8 anyway. Then I went back and there were more replies. That JTR page was interesting. My eye's went directly to the 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 3/4" tee and I see in (S10). Now I see  why I remember JTR. It's a good thing I found a place in the Gates on line catalog that shows hoses by size with pictures. I'll look and see if the make a hose that starts 1 1/2" makes a quick 90 reduces to 1 1/4", runs 8" and makes a hard 90 back on itself. It's a shame that I don't think ABS plastic pipe won't stand the pressure and temperature. Maybe I'll get that motor running again before spring (what year). The last couple of days I thought this site was "Broke" again but it surfaced again when I had a question> GPster

Check here. I bought some silicone hose and aluminum connectors for the wagon to make the connections better and prettier . They have reducing hoses too.
Don Colliau

GPster

Quote from: "348tripower"
Quote from: "GPster"Oh Great! The weather here is calling for cold and maybe snow That part from MAC's is what I had seen. To keep me from trouble the MAC's page said temporarily out of stock. I saw the piece and it looked like maybe I should see what size the lower radiator hose was on a '32-'48 Ford V8 anyway. Then I went back and there were more replies. That JTR page was interesting. My eye's went directly to the 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 3/4" tee and I see in (S10). Now I see  why I remember JTR. It's a good thing I found a place in the Gates on line catalog that shows hoses by size with pictures. I'll look and see if the make a hose that starts 1 1/2" makes a quick 90 reduces to 1 1/4", runs 8" and makes a hard 90 back on itself. It's a shame that I don't think ABS plastic pipe won't stand the pressure and temperature. Maybe I'll get that motor running again before spring (what year). The last couple of days I thought this site was "Broke" again but it surfaced again when I had a question> GPster

Check here. I bought some silicone hose and aluminum connectors for the wagon to make the connections better and prettier . They have reducing hoses too.
Where is here?  GPster

GPster

Quote from: "Canuck"How about a sleeve to fit your rad hose with a nipple welded out the side for the heater hose?  Slice the rad hose and insert.

With the Canadian dollar trading so low and the high cost of shipping we tend to get inventive up here.

Canuck

PS:    When I was younger, a friend had a Morris Minor that had a block heater that installed in the hose, much like the Mac's fitting.  A constant source of leaks and also aged the hose much quicker.
When I was younngerI would have the stock of ACR copper fittings and tubilg and I would have made something. I was't kidding about using sink drain trap fittings but I don't have a stock of junk 1 1/4" vanity (bathroom) sink pieces. I'm too cheap to by a new trap at Lowes to cut up and throw a lot of it away.I would still need to come up with  a reducer and a 3/4" piece to put the heater hose off the intake manifold. While I'm at it. Someone have a site with replacement engine thermostat housings" my top hose could be made neater if I could find a thermostat housing that was a different angle. If the bolt spacing was the same as SBC one would probably fall in ,y lap but I think the bolt spacing is more like         3 1/4". Well I'm off for now. Going to help someone enjoy her 93rd birthday

348tripower

So now that I have pulled my head out of my * here is the link for you :D
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/
Don Colliau