What are you doing today 2016?

Started by enjenjo, December 30, 2015, 07:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

I was grinding a metal plate the other day, on the 6" grinder, and I actually wore safety goggles.  Having had eye surgery in '14, I try to keep stuff out of them.

Years ago, I was sandblasting my 46 Ford truck, and got a piece of sand in my eye. The eye doc said it would've been better if it had been metal, then he could use a magnet to get it out. I don't remember what he used, but he got it out.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

chris spokes

Quote from: "idrivejunk"Had to get a chunk of 33 Ford picked out of my eye today. :shock:  Nifty. Been there since yesterday  :roll: Next week they will dig out the rust. I look (at things) like this for the moment-  :wink:  8)  

:lol:

Went right past my dad-blame safety glasses.  :?

nothing worse than the eye doc coming at you with a needle pick, some bad memories for me
he who has the most toys wins

phat46

Quote from: "idrivejunk"Had to get a chunk of 33 Ford picked out of my eye today. :shock:  Nifty. Been there since yesterday  :roll: Next week they will dig out the rust. I look (at things) like this for the moment-  :wink:  8)  

Maybe they will just buff it out. I've had that done a couple times, little die grinder thing that they buff the eyeball with to get the rust. I got pretty good at picking pieces of metal out of my eyes with a rolled up piece of tissue, just hooked onto the metal and it would come out. Saved me some trips to the doctor.

wayne petty

the doc coming to probe it out reminded me of grabbing a 5 gallon bucket that had a full can of B12 chem tool spray..  as i tilted the bucket and looked down inside..  the can tipped over. straw was inserted in the nozzle..  sprayed me in both eyes..  no glasses..  talk about pain... best thing i could think of doing was to cover my eyes with my hand and get somebody to take me to the sink inside.. i calculated instantly that cleaning solvents might react worse with sunlight in the eyes..  

i had done the same thing a decade earlier.. when a battery exploded in my face..  covered me with acid mist.. the level was low.  best part... my boss was in a rush to get this car started. he had reached into the car and turned the key as i was about to take the cables off to clean them..  he never rushed me ever again..  i was spinning with my hands over my face screaming the F bomb.  at least again the sink was not far off..  even with somebody guiding me..

once in a great while i still get crap in my eyes..  i usually point my face straight down..  hold my eye lids wide open and allow the junk to float to the middle. where it may drop out..  never rub the eye or eye lid if you have junk in the eyes..

GPster

Only seeing with one eye and not very well with it I wear safety glasses all the time. Because I have tunnel vision inside the rim of glasses they have large lenses. Because I scratch the lenses so easily I have my glasses fitted with  tempered glass lenses which are heavy. Then there's the fact that I have a "Fat Head" ( 7 5/8 hat size). So I do try to protect my eyes. Worst I ever did to them was probably 40 years ago when I was on a ladder welding on an equipment frame. I was sweating so bad that after I completed a pass I took my helmet off to knock the slag off and knocked a big hunk of hot slag into my eye. The dumb things you do when you can blame it on age. GPster

kb426

You guys are hurting me with all the eye stories. I just installed front rotors and pads on my Dakota RT daily driver. First time in 80,000 miles. I purchased EBC stuff because I use it on the cycles and have been satisfied. I bought the oem level. I don't need performance parts on it. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Yeah I should have got it out when it first got in (junk in eye) like usual. Much better today, almost can't feel it. Cost a couple hours work all told but the expense was under a hundred even after eyedrops and that includes a rust scrape later. Perhaps I should just stick some Ospho in a dropper now...

Helped while my friend changed the clutch master cyl on my uncle's 03 Ranger today after work. It can't be bled while attached to the firewall but the instructions with the part failed to mention that. So it got fancy there for a sec and now all is well. Delivered it and helped load up a giant refrigerator for my folks' move (more of that tomorrow).

After that, our company Christmas party was at a beer and burgers joint so I had one of each. Got to see my fellow bodyman who broke his leg on a bike weeks ago. Poor guy, still has rods sticking out of his shin but hopefully only for a few more days.

:)
Matt

Rrumbler

Sorry to hear about the eye injury, had so many of them over the years that hearing about one makes me cringe.  But if I am any example, I still see pretty good, so you should be fine.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

chimp koose

Today I went to work on the T coupe . I ground off the rivets holding the rear body crossmember in place as I have to replace the panel below the trunk lid . I had to shrink the bottom of the new panel  to match the curve on the crossmember . I will probably have to re shape the sides where they tuck under the t bar that they bolt to . Howells panels out of Texas . I hope the running board aprons I got are a better fit . I will need to grind the trunk drip rails down and POR 15 all those areas before I replace the panel . I have nearly finished making the trunk floor , removal of the crosmember will make the trunk floor install much simpler .

Crosley.In.AZ

Finally, killed the gopher with my trap.

It dawned on me, I was placing the trap into the hole uncovered. He was pushing dirt out to cover his entrance and this was buring the trap.

Friday nite, I dug back into his tunnel.  Placed the trap.  Covered the area with a board, shoveled some dirt onto the board.

This morning:  dead gopher
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I textured the ceiling in the "music" room. Paint to follow. It snowed for the 1st time last night. It's spitting mist now but tomorrow is supposed to be decent. :)
TEAM SMART

Arnold

Sorry to hear about yours..or anyone's eyes :cry: Actually it is not that uncommon that stuff just blasts by safety glasses :roll: I remember looking at the vents on one pair of glasses. Great design :evil: The vents were pretty much lined up perfect to allow stuff to blast past them and right into the eye :roll: If I am grinding..safety glasses PLUS face shield. Really lo profile swimming goggles are great too..some say they are dangerous because they will pressure the eye upon impact. Not long ago I had a piece of staple hit my glasses that was embedded in some osb I was cutting. That would have taken my eye out. I was chainsawing and had a knot hit my face shield that would have been good bye eye too.
 When I was 4 or 5 I was cutting a rope..PULLING on the knife. Cut the rope,knife went in behind my left eyeball. Rushed to local hospital. We were on a camping trip and the hospital would not look at me because I was not a resident of the area. They are lucky I wasn't the father. I would have gone to jail. Local doc looked at me for cash and then it was rush me to a hospital where I lived..3 hrs away. Lucky eye was ok.

Arnold

Quote from: "Arnold"

Sorry to hear about yours..or anyone's eyes :cry: Actually it is not that uncommon that stuff just blasts by safety glasses :roll: I remember looking at the vents on one pair of glasses. Great design :evil: The vents were pretty much lined up perfect to allow stuff to blast past them and right into the eye :roll: If I am grinding..safety glasses PLUS face shield. Really lo profile swimming goggles are great too..some say they are dangerous because they will pressure the eye upon impact. Not long ago I had a piece of staple hit my glasses that was embedded in some osb I was cutting. That would have taken my eye out. I was chainsawing and had a knot hit my face shield that would have been good bye eye too.
 When I was 4 or 5 I was cutting a rope..PULLING on the knife. Cut the rope,knife went in behind my left eyeball. Rushed to local hospital. We were on a camping trip and the hospital would not look at me because I was not a resident of the area. They are lucky I wasn't the father. I would have gone to jail. Local doc looked at me for cash and then it was rush me to a hospital where I lived..3 hrs away. Lucky eye was ok.

I had an armature on a drill come apart and blasted stuff out of the vent on the drill into my eye.

58 Yeoman

I've been buying new safety goggles at garage/estate sales for a buck or two. They fit nicely over my glasses so I can still see. You have to be careful with face shields also, as stuff will find its' way between the bottom and your chest.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Arnold

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"I've been buying new safety goggles at garage/estate sales for a buck or two. They fit nicely over my glasses so I can still see. You have to be careful with face shields also, as stuff will find its' way between the bottom and your chest.

Only problems I have had with cheap goggles are the straps(especially if they are old) and they have like zero :lol: resistance to dirt/scratching. Like you said..Thanks for the too late warning :lol: I had something ricochet off my chest then off my face shield into my eye. Grinder=glasses and face shield..