What are you doing today 2016?

Started by enjenjo, December 30, 2015, 07:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

Tony, do you set traps for them? Or use a night scope on a pellet gun?  :lol:

I'm going to the shop and paint the new padded dash that I bought for the 63 Ford. It's going to be in the high 70's here today, so it'll be a good day w/o starting the furnace. This will give it a chance to 'cure' well before I install it this winter (if I get a chance).
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

58 Yeoman

Well, that sux. One can wasn't enough to do one dash, and the color looks more like red oxide primer than 63 Ford red. I'll get a can or two from the local paint mixer next week.

I washed the car and waxed it, so it's good to go till next year or beyond...
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Tony, do you set traps for them? Or use a night scope on a pellet gun?  :lol:

Phil:  I use two methods.  I have a spray  I mix from a local Pest - Bug Store. Kills the scorps. A bit pricey , but it works well.

Other method I use is :  My shoe.

I use a LED  UV flash lite  to find them.  Scorps like the block fence around my back yard. They sit there waiting for cockroaches to walk by.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

I've been at my house for about 18 years now, and last couple years I have seen earwigs in the yard. Those are wierd looking bugs  :shock:  new to me.

I remembered seeing something that eats scorpions on the old Wild Kingdom show so I searched... you need some pet southern grasshopper mice.  :wink:

Yesterday I went up to work and did stuff to my own junk. Dragged the spare L67 out from under a bench. Been there a couple years, and I have scavenged off it too. But now I have it on my engine stand and have started cleaning. Figure I'll do a little on lunch breaks over winter, just refreshing externals. It has 135K on it and I had it upside-down once while it was still in the car.  :oops:

I did snag the throttle body off it because my DD has a screw broke in it's. Cleaned the TB up, slapped it on and zoom. Both TBs were nasty but the one off this engine still had ATF in the TB screen even though I ran it quite a bit after. What prompted all this was that I couldn't access the spare engine under the bench and my ride was stalling right after startup sometimes. Thats gone now.

Oh, and there are elements of yellow in the top left corners of both those pics, both are a new project. A very solid 69 Chevelle SS that you'll see more of later. Doesn't need a whole lot.

I did also rotate one side's tires on the DD GTP yesterday because the alignment is still whack from the trans swap years ago. And so I'd have an excuse to post this pic. You can't do this to most northern 97-03 Grand Prixs!  :shock:  I can actually lift one side with one jack, its that solid but it ought to have a wood block under the pinchweld flange for that.

One more thing...

I'm doing a kinda crazy task on the red '33 now. I call it "tub-ettes" for lack of a better term. Whacking wheelwells vertically and making the body flush with the frame in the rear tire wells but not notching the frame. You guys want to see that? I mean, any of you have 30's stuff that rubs back there in turns?

I just might work on nothing today. :)
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

fixed a landscape light mount..  here in AZ, the  alloy metal stakes are eaten by the acids in the dirt. The plastic stakes dry rot, snap off.

I use the PVC under ground water pipe parts to fix them.  Most of my low volt landscape lights threaded mounts are 1/2 inch pipe thread.

Some of my lights are 1/4 inch pipe thread on the risers...  I use a brass adapter from 1/4 to 1/2 pipe for a new mount.

I spray paint the PVC  black. Drill the ground with a masonry bit, shove the mount into the ground
Tony

kb426

One of today's projects. The beginning and the stopping point for the day. This is for my 1968 Taco model 44 mini bike that I did in 2010.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Been a bad/strange/whirlwind couple of days...Found out my brother has terminal cancer & hopefully will go home tomorrow to start hospice care .. :cry:  
Went to a BIG swap meet today & found little to nothing of any consequence.. :(
 Found multiple sets of wheels I have been looking for to put on my A..All were wrong width or wrong bolt pattern.. :roll:
Got some little junk....My heart prolly wasn't in it...

Matt ...I would like to see that wheelwell mod on the coupe ...If I understand your explanation, it's what I need to do to the back of my Model A.....

Bob.... :(
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

I have a 2001 Ford Focus here that belongs to a cousin. The whole deal started about  a month ago, she had been having trouble starting it, and decided the battery was bad. I bought a battery for her, and she put it in. Two days later she called and it wouldn't start again.  I went and checked it, the battery was dead, so I took it out, and charged it up. I went back and installed the battery, lights worked, dash worked, but no start, not even a click. I loaded it up on my trailer and brought it home. I had no power to the start circuit at the engine. It took two days to find the location of the starter relay, it was not in any of the locations (depending on the model) that were in the book. It was mirrored on one of the relay panels, on the top left rather than the top right shown in the book. The relay was bad, an Aha! moment. Replaced the relay, still no start, no click.I bypassed the neutral switch, still nothing. There was a plug in the start wire near the battery, I checked there, and had good power, jumped the start wire to the battery, and nothing. :evil:

So I decided it had to be the starter. It took two of us 2 1/2 hours to get the starter out, bolts frozen, finding the tool that would fit where we needed to go, but we got it out intact. I did a bench test, and the starter worked fine. :evil:

At this point I decided to check the wiring, it all looked good but you never know. The start wire checked good, but the battery cable had no continuity. I did some investigation and the inside of the battery clamp was corroded where the cable went through it. That cable served only the starter, all the other electric received power from another cable. So I made up a new cable, put it all back together, and it started right up. But now the alternator is not charging, and there is a check engine light. The alternator connection is corroded badly, I don't know if that is the problem, or if it's the alternator. Back under the car.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

The bad whirring/grinding noise in the 54 Chevy was a front wheel bearing.  I was sure that it was something else but I was wrong.  At least I can check that off the list.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

idrivejunk

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Been a bad/strange/whirlwind couple of days...Found out my brother has terminal cancer & hopefully will go home tomorrow to start hospice care .. :cry:  
Went to a BIG swap meet today & found little to nothing of any consequence.. :(
 Found multiple sets of wheels I have been looking for to put on my A..All were wrong width or wrong bolt pattern.. :roll:
Got some little junk....My heart prolly wasn't in it...

Matt ...I would like to see that wheelwell mod on the coupe ...If I understand your explanation, it's what I need to do to the back of my Model A.....

Bob.... :(

Oh brother. That is very sad news Bob. Comfort and strength to you and family. Just be a brother and go with the flow of life as best you can. Meanwhile I'll try to come up with some tub thing pics. I know the value of distractions at times.

I changed plugs in the 455 today. With a $5 reward card it fit inside a $20. Took out overdue Accel 137s at .050 and put in AC R45s at .040 and oh my she liked that!
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"One of today's projects. The beginning and the stopping point for the day. This is for my 1968 Taco model 44 mini bike that I did in 2010.

I owned a Taco minibike back in 1966 - 68... One weekend I  traded it for a tote goat.  Thouhgt my mom was gonna kill me.

Dang chain gaurd fell off as I recall.
Tony

chimp koose

Bob , sorry to hear about your brother . I guess you have to make the best of the time you still have . Try to make more happy memories . I have had zero car time lately as my wife and I have been moving my mother in law out of her apartment and into a seniors residence . Father in law passed 7 months ago , the move has been especially hard on my wife as she packed up her fathers things . They had a special father/daughter bond that was a joy to see.

enjenjo

I finished up a T5 transmission Tuesday, spend yesterday crating it up, and left about 4 pm to ship it. When I got home my wife told me there was a crate in front of the garage door, another T5. This one needs to have some bearings replaced and a good cleaning. I built it about a year ago, the owner took it partially apart looking for a problem that was in the rear axle, and assembled it incorrectly. It ate one bearing, broke a snap ring, and scarred up the case. The case was custom built, and is repairable. It should be an easy build.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Mikej

Transmission I bought to replace my PG in the Corvair , has a shaft sticking out the front of the case and a chunk out of the bell housing. Might not be a good choice to use....

kb426

This will surely excite you: I replaced the front brake pads and handlebar grips on my Suzuki dr650 daily run around. It was surely warmer this evening than it will be in the morning. :)
TEAM SMART