What are you doing today 2016?

Started by enjenjo, December 30, 2015, 07:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Crosley"Finally suck it up and cut most of this cage out of 1962 Morris.  9 yr old project, it will be 10 yrs in january 2017.

Likely this project is just a money pit , it will never run and  that I can not stop myself on

More depressing news:

I found the receipt from Jegs when I bought the chassis kit for the Morris.

January 2005 I bought the kit.  WOW ....  I knew this project went to crud , early in construction.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

Tony, I don't know if you drink or have any vices at all. :) I'd have a couple of beers and decide what I was going to do the next couple of years. All I'm really aware of is how time speeds up with age. :)
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

Should probably not keep receipts. When I sold the Poncho, I was finding the receipts, and thought "holy crap." The guy who bought the car, actually bought the chrome and got the car free.

With all the extra space that I now have in the shop, my eyes start wandering to other cars sitting in yards. STOP! I did buy a '70 Cub Cadet to play with. Much cheaper and still leaves me room. :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

39deluxe

I went to the Nostalgia Drags at Milan Dragway yesterday. They put on a pretty good show. The Great Lakes Gassers were fantastic.

Tom

WZ JUNK

I wanted to finish the area of the lower steering column in the 1954 Chevy with the GM column to hide the column mount and the wiring.  I made a fiberglass cover for the lower column and painted it flat black.  It has a couple of pieces of polished stainless on the side to act as a scuff guard for your shoe when you apply the brake.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

Looks good, John. What are you doing to avoid itching when working with the glass?
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "kb426"Looks good, John. What are you doing to avoid itching when working with the glass?

Drink a lot of beer.  Actually, I am one of few that is not bothered by the irritation much.  When I do a lot of grinding or cutting with a cutoff tool it does bother me some.  At the end of the day, I start my shower with as cold a water as I can stand to close the pours in my skin before washing.  I have been told that it helps, but I do not have much evidence that it does.  Generally when it does bother me, I just tough it out.  I use an air saw for cutting and I try to avoid grinding on a fiberglass part.  Just handling the material does not bother me.

I have made patterns for molds, to do productions runs of parts, in the past, but now I just make one of a kind pieces.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

idrivejunk

That column cover IS a nice looking piece. The mirrors go on the shoes though  :lol:

KB, hand lotion on arms first then cold rinse / shower after works well for me. Don't turn warm water on until after the soap rinse. Got a bunch of that dust on me today from an RV project in the next stall.
Matt

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"
I have made patterns for molds, to do productions runs of parts, in the past, but now I just make one of a kind pieces.

John

Your column cover looks great!

What did you use for a mold to do the lay-up?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"
Quote from: "WZ JUNK"

John

Your column cover looks great!

What did you use for a mold to do the lay-up?

I started with a half section of 4" plastic pipe and glued foam to the pipe.  I then shaped the foam to produce the black piece that is in the photo.  After I laid the fiberglass on the form, and it took its set, I then removed the piece of pipe and the foam.  I make a lot of my parts this way.  For a one off piece is much easier than make a mold and then making a part from the mold.

I started this part a long time ago and returned to it yesterday to apply the finish and install it on the car.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

sirstude

I am so sensitized to fiberglass, I am itching just reading this.  Just kind of kidding.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

Hand lotion works good. So does Avon Silcone glove. I use liquid shampoo. Rub it into your hands and arms up past the elbows, and let it dry. It will last until you get it wet. Then just reapply it. I also use the cold water rinse before a hot shower.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Getting ready to go down to Wilmington, OH to see the Ohio Mile this weekend.

I have to drop off a set of 5 ea. 911 Porsche wheels down near Ann Arbor and am also hauling a set of 4 15x5 wheels with Moon disc and Dzus fasteners to try and sell to a land speed racer.

I don't much like hauling a bunch of loose wheels in the back of the Trailblazer so I packed all of them in the trunk of my CTS-V Cadillac more door with room left over. Besides that it gets better mileage.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Carnut

My friend Roger Linn (the guy who bought my 40 Ford) had this happen to his 40 on the way home from the Last Run in Ark City ks.

Carnut

Here's what Roger Linn has done to my 40 Ford since he bought it back in April.