What are you doing today 2016?

Started by enjenjo, December 30, 2015, 07:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

Quote from: "chimp koose"I have spent the past week feebly working on my fish pond . I want to make a waterfall like the ones you see in las vegas only scaled down for my yard . I have come to understand that while I am pretty good at thinking my way around mechanical things  , I suck at structural . The first problem was starting without a plan. Now I have a pump and filter system made and it works pretty good .The challenge now is the waterfall itself . I spend more time trying to picture what to do than actually doing anything . I am going to have to spend some time tomorrow and draw up a plan .

2 of my late mothers well heeled friends made pretty big fish ponds.
 1 of them when the fish just disappeared..caught 2 herons fishing :lol:
 She was not allowed to put a net over it (the Herons might catch their legs in it :lol: )
  The other caught a mink fishing in it.

chimp koose

My pond is roughly 1000 gallons CDN . (our dollar may be smaller but our gallon is bigger!)11'x6'x2'deep. I now have a plan . I have finished making my filter  , it holds 44 gallons . the pump puts out 1980gph . The liner is done and the water is a pretty blue . My cat tails are planted and so are the water lilies. My test fish are doing fine ! I should have this thing done in a day or two. The waterfall will be made completely out of brick and concrete with a fish compatible sealer . I want it to look like a mini Las Vegas waterfall feature and I think I have it figures out . My biggest problem with the construction is not knowing what products are available and what standard sizes are  , to be able to design something . Thanks for the offer of help jeepster , your pond sounds quite nice . I cannot go more than 2' deep or I need to build a higher fence , and I can only go 6' wide or I will get to close to a gas line ! If I go any longer I run into some nasty roots from a 60' tall tree . This winter I want to try and raise some butterfly koi and then put them in the pond next summer . Some of my fish stay in the aquarium all year ,the fancy ones are easy picking for a crow .

kb426

George, I agree with you. As has been stated many times, in the beginning it was about the cars. Later it's about the people. Lots of old guy humor and bs. I sign up any time. :)
TEAM SMART

jaybee

Still hanging around out here. Mostly a lurker at this point, unfortunately cars are still well to the back burner. I read regularly, though, and thank you for helping me keep my car life going in a sense until I can get my hands on some tools again.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

WZ JUNK

Just returned home from 2 weeks in eastern California. Sequoia, Kings Canyon, and Yosemite National Parks.  We have now visited all of the National Parks on the continental United States and Hawaii.  Next big trip is Alaska.  Here we are at our final park entrance that completed our quest.

Now back to work on the 974 Studebaker.  4 weeks until Speedweek.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Crosley.In.AZ

got a few items worked on today.

Big thing:  I found a 9 inch long magnetic  bubble level that I misplaced about 1 year ago.  

Found the level behind the doors to the Simca car.  Doors are off the car, leaning against other parts.

Of course:  I already bought another level...  LOL

:T)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

I hung the right door back onto the 41 Poncho. It's been taped in place for probably 10 years. I re-hung the drivers' side a month ago. Top hinge on the right side top seems to be spongy. Ground up some more tree limbs for mulch.

Also got the driveway bell hung with a new hose. Now I can hear when someone drives up when I've got the doors closed and the radio on. :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

phat46

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Just returned home from 2 weeks in eastern California. Sequoia, Kings Canyon, and Yosemite National Parks.  We have now visited all of the National Parks on the continental United States and Hawaii.  Next big trip is Alaska.  Here we are at our final park entrance that completed our quest.

John

Wow! That's quite an accomplishment! Are there any National parks you'd recommend over others?

Arnold

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Just returned home from 2 weeks in eastern California. Sequoia, Kings Canyon, and Yosemite National Parks.  We have now visited all of the National Parks on the continental United States and Hawaii.  Next big trip is Alaska.  Here we are at our final park entrance that completed our quest.

John

Last nite at dinner someone asked where in the world I would like to go..
  "Nowhere..BACK to Sequoia,Mt. McKinley".. where pretty quick off my tongue.
   There are a lot of places I do not want to see..or again.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "phat46"

John

Wow! That's quite an accomplishment! Are there any National parks you'd recommend over others?

All the parks are very interesting but I did enjoy some more than others.  I guess my favorite is Yellowstone.  Yosemite was great but so crowded.  We parked the rental car and used the NPS busses the four days we were there.  One day we rented bikes and rode about 12 miles.

My tips are

To avoid the crowds, go out early and late in the day and have a long lunch and a nap in the middle of the day.

Read up before you go and plan your visit ahead of time.  Talk to the Rangers at the visitor centers and ask lots of questions.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

river1

John

you stayed one day to long :cry:

sorry i missed you and Hooley on my surprise trip thru southern missouri and oklahoma

had lunch in Chelsea at the main street diner on the advice of an attractive local law enforcement officer. our waitress said she knew you Hooley

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

river1

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Found a gas station driveway bell yesterday at an estate sale. I'll have to put on a new electric cord and clean it up, but it does work. Geez...the hoses aren't cheap. I'm thinking of putting it on my driveway so I can hear people drive up.

for those wanting a new one

http://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=driveway+bell+and+hose

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

58 Yeoman

I paid $5 for the bell, and $20 for a hose at Farm & Fleet. I sandblasted it and painted it up and put it on the wall. Works great for $25 and a little effort.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "idrivejunk"
Quote from: "WZ JUNK"The new look of the 974 Studebaker.  Flat black rear stabilizer and flat orange paint.

That will work!  8)  What did you end up using?

Sorry I did not reply sooner.  I have been out west.

I had a special mix made of the original color in single stage urethane with a flatner added.  It did not cover well. There are some shadows or dark spots where I sprayed a dark sealer.  Hopefully the decals will make these less noticeable.  I do not like it but I have no time to redo the paint.   If I were to do it again I would paint the car with regular color and do a single flat coat for the top or last coat.  I think the flatner limits the covering of the paint.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

UGLY OLDS

QuoteAlso got the driveway bell hung with a new hose. Now I can hear when someone drives up when I've got the doors closed and the radio on. :lol:
Do you offer full service at the pump  :?:  :roll:  :lol:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****