1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

idrivejunk

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Happy Birthday.

Much obliged  :D
Matt

58 Yeoman

Found a gas station driveway bell yesterday at an estate sale. I'll have to put on a new electric cord and clean it up, but it does work. Geez...the hoses aren't cheap. I'm thinking of putting it on my driveway so I can hear people drive up.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Rrumbler

Hippo Birdy Two Ewes, Mr. "Junk".  Fifty is good; I wish I was as good now as I was when I was fifty.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

Rrumbler

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Found a gas station driveway bell yesterday at an estate sale. I'll have to put on a new electric cord and clean it up, but it does work. Geez...the hoses aren't cheap. I'm thinking of putting it on my driveway so I can hear people drive up.

It seem to me that eons ago when I worked in and around gas stations that still had those things, that we just used heavy duty rubber hose like air hose, and folded one end over and tied it off with wire, or just stuffed a bolt of the appropriate size into the end and used wire to clamp it off.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

Beck

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"The new look of the 974 Studebaker.  Flat black rear stabilizer and flat orange paint.

Note to crewmembers. Don't touch the flat black parts after lunch. HOT!

Looks good John.
I think it needs orange class lettering on the stabilizers and flat black 974s on the doors again.

You have me rethinking that trip..... The salt conditions sound optimistic.

Beck

Quote from: "chimp koose"At the speeds that Studebaker travels the paint will be shiny in no time !

I think it works the other way. Shiny paint turns dull. It gets "salt blasted".

Charlie Chops 1940

I committed my Speed Week trip to paper today. Bringing a new crew member to take up my slack. #974 looks slick in the new livery John.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

kb426

I spent yesterday doing bondo on the 51 but didn't get finished. Mowed all the yards and some other real small stuff. I was tired by the end of the day. I wonder if age has something to do with that? :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

I have spent the past week feebly working on my fish pond . I want to make a waterfall like the ones you see in las vegas only scaled down for my yard . I have come to understand that while I am pretty good at thinking my way around mechanical things  , I suck at structural . The first problem was starting without a plan. Now I have a pump and filter system made and it works pretty good .The challenge now is the waterfall itself . I spend more time trying to picture what to do than actually doing anything . I am going to have to spend some time tomorrow and draw up a plan .

UGLY OLDS

Returned home from a "whirlwind" vacation of sorts starting at G/G in Des Moines, down to babysitting the Kidd's house & cats by St. Louis, back to home ...
The Olds developed an engine oil leak sometime during the trip that oiled down the bottom of the car fairly well ...  :roll:  
A quick check on the road showed nothing major & the oil level was not dropping... :?
Got it up in the air yesterday for a thorough cleaning & inspection......
Front seal ...Clean ..Rear main seal ..Clean..Oil filter ..Clean. Nothing leaking on the top end ....  :?
After running the engine with the car in the air, the nasty little bugger showed it's ugly head ... :twisted:
Remember.. This is the engine from my GMC pick-up that broke in half after the frame rusted through .....  :idea:
You guessed it ...The oil pan is rusted through in two spots & "weeping" just enough to oil down the complete bottom of the car ....   :shock:
Oil level only went down 1/2 Qt. in almost 1000 miles..
The good news is that the bottom of the Olds will prolly never rust .. 8)  :lol:

Other than that, the car ran great & got 19 MPG+ at highway speeds ...
It looks like the good old Red truck is still trying to haunt me ...  :roll:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

GPster

Quote from: "chimp koose"I have spent the past week feebly working on my fish pond . I want to make a waterfall like the ones you see in las vegas only scaled down for my yard . I have come to understand that while I am pretty good at thinking my way around mechanical things  , I suck at structural . The first problem was starting without a plan. Now I have a pump and filter system made and it works pretty good .The challenge now is the waterfall itself . I spend more time trying to picture what to do than actually doing anything . I am going to have to spend some time tomorrow and draw up a plan .
I started my pond (my wife's) the same way thinking that doing anything with water would be simple enough. I found out that buying a kit and starting with the start rather than the delivery was better.  Our pond is liver shaped (around a willow) and is about 15' by 22' , at the center it is about 42" deep and it hold close to 5,000 gallons. On one edge it has a skimmer with a screen net, a filter that can be removed and washed, and a 1.25 hp submercible pump. The pump discharges into burried  2" plastic pipe that goes around one side of the pond to a plastic  open topped tank ( 2' x 2' x 2 1/2 ' ) with secondary filters in the bottom under neath lava rock bi-flilter. The water fall is just built around the box that is on top of the ground with the outlet side of the open top box facing and near the edge of the pond oposite the skimmer. Our pond has a rubber lining bottom and after designing and digging the hole I needed some ideas and a place to order the liner. Went and talked to a person in the business and he designed and ordered the kit that we used. Send me a PM and I can continue  and maybe my wife can figure out how to send you some pictures. GPster

idrivejunk

I would not have thought at a glance that this car was body-on-frame  :shock:

It has 14 body mounts :!:

Started on this rust-free mid-60s Datsun gem today, should be cake!  8)

Matt

purplepickup

Heading out in about 2 minutes to help out and hang out with Hooley and a few others at the Byron Meltdown nostalgia drags in Illinois. Weather looks good for the event and anxious to see the Okie Twister run and visit with everyone. Sometimes, at our age these get-togethers feel like a gift from God.

Enjoy your weekend.
George

Arnold

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Returned home from a "whirlwind" vacation of sorts starting at G/G in Des Moines, down to babysitting the Kidd's house & cats by St. Louis, back to home ...
The Olds developed an engine oil leak sometime during the trip that oiled down the bottom of the car fairly well ...  :roll:  
A quick check on the road showed nothing major & the oil level was not dropping... :?
Got it up in the air yesterday for a thorough cleaning & inspection......
Front seal ...Clean ..Rear main seal ..Clean..Oil filter ..Clean. Nothing leaking on the top end ....  :?
After running the engine with the car in the air, the nasty little bugger showed it's ugly head ... :twisted:
Remember.. This is the engine from my GMC pick-up that broke in half after the frame rusted through .....  :idea:
You guessed it ...The oil pan is rusted through in two spots & "weeping" just enough to oil down the complete bottom of the car ....   :shock:
Oil level only went down 1/2 Qt. in almost 1000 miles..
The good news is that the bottom of the Olds will prolly never rust .. 8)  :lol:

Other than that, the car ran great & got 19 MPG+ at highway speeds ...
It looks like the good old Red truck is still trying to haunt me ...  :roll:

Bob.. :wink:

So what you are saying is that you recommend drilling some small holes in the oil pan for like some constant "aerated" spray/mist rustproofing :twisted:  :lol:  

I have done quicky emergency repairs on customers cars that wanted this done..a long time ago..I did not recommend this and told them so..the repairs lasted forever.
   I don't even know if the silicone formula is the same now or would work.
   Scrape off heavy stuff,wire brush by hand,clean with lacquer thinner and a rag,apply silicone and smooth with putty knife.
  I did a 70 TA that was drip drip drip and the guy wanted an emergency fix right now to get him home..not far..with the oil still in the pan :shock:
Until he could get it back to me.
It stopped leaking and he called me and asked if he could drive it to his cottage :roll: I said no. He did it anyway :roll:
  This was his baby and a daily driver. That repair lasted forever.
   I did lots of other real nasty to remove the pan jobs.