What are you doing today 2016?

Started by enjenjo, December 30, 2015, 07:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

I'd bet the track was loose first but if the works ran short on lube it may have contributed to the scooting. Old truck windows can be just as much a pain as any vehicle if you ask me. The '41 ate my lunch because theses such a small access hole to get inside the door.

Today after work I went to the folks' place, they are getting ready to move and Dad wanted me and bro to lighten his tool load. Sentimental overload, man. Theres so much stuff I brought home that I used half a life or more ago, and you guys would totally "get it" so I'll have to show you some of it.

Best of all is the gennie '32 horn, dilapidated as it may be. It was on my first car, the Tempest Sprint. Can someone direct me to an ooga horn rebuild kit or parts? I probably already asked that but yeah, I'd love to fix it up and put it on my 69 GP.
Matt

kb426

I FOUND IT! The problem with the 51's window was caused by the swivel arms on the motor being froze up. A little work and some oil and we're back in business. :) I don't know why, but I'm guessing I may have to remove the door panel and oil pins occasionally.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"I FOUND IT! The problem with the 51's window was caused by the swivel arms on the motor being froze up. A little work and some oil and we're back in business. :) I don't know why, but I'm guessing I may have to remove the door panel and oil pins occasionally.

Boy o Boy ......That Mustang will just NOT go away , huh  :?:  :?:  :P  :roll:  :lol:  :lol:

Bob...  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

sirstude

Working on the Oldsmobile, starting the wiring.  I bought an EZ-Wiring kit a bunch of years ago, and not sure how much I like it.  The instructions are lousy, after I get it layed out on the table, I will see how it goes.   I can make  it work, just not totally sure I want to.  The old Enos panels were easier to work with than this layout.  I am going to have to draw diagrams for everything for sure, and probably some time with a multimeter to figure out what they are doing.  
Also, they still use a fuseable link instead of a Maxi Fuse, and then with over an 80 amp alternater, they have a bypass cable from the alternator to the starter, that bypasses the fuseable link.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

chimp koose

Got the floor in on the T this afternoon. Tacked the toe boards to the firewall. I have a 92 caravan middle seat for the car and it fits but I have no slider mechanism . While at the boneyard looking for a slider I found another caravan seat that flips the seat back down , but it is too wide and will not work . What seats are 43" or less wide and will allow the seat back to flip down ?

kb426

CK, there are at least 2 versions of the Chrysler minivan seats. One is 36 wide and the other is around the 43 you mentioned. The short one is a second row seat on some of the earlier years. The newer ones have a wider 2nd row seat.
Bob, we can't give the mustang credit for this one. Those were new Nu-Relic units.
Sirstude, it sounds to me like you answered your thoughts-question. Most of us have found that if it looks too cheap, it is. I have no actual numbers but I think the most common reasons for cars on the side of the road would be fuel and electrical related. Even on my 32, I have ac, elect. fan, stereo and amplifier, halogen headlights and I believe a 130 amp alternator. Then you add in the efi and fuel pump and you have a modern car to deal with. I have relays all over and the highest temp rated wire I could find. 1 towing bill will pay for a good harness. :)
TEAM SMART

sirstude

KB,  

I have also made that decision after thinking a bit more. The bad part of  this is, I won a 65% off coupon at Good Guys for Painless a couple of years ago, and bought their good fan controller, but skipped on the harness.  

Oh Well.
Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

GPster

Made the trip to Randolf Ohio yesterday for the swap meet . Been a while since I've been to one and I needed a car related change for something different. The two hour drive was refreshing as I didn't have anything to think about but the drive. When I got there it was misting rain just a little bit but in a short while the dealers started to pull the extra canvases back. I didn't go with any "Need" list (except for maybe one of those extra long drive shaft front yokes) so I could look rather than search.  Didn't buy anything or have any regrets of about anything I let get away.  The sun and the vendor's  lasted as long as my energy so it was a good day. Something  RRT related. GPster.

chimp koose

Went to the wrecker today and got a seat from a caravan that measures 47" . I took the fold down brackets off and then installed them on my 43" seat . I will have to cut the mounts down as it sits too high . I wanted to use the quick disconnect mount but it adds too much height to the seat . I am thinking of a way to make the seat flip forward after folding so as to have good access to the area behind the seat . Shouldn't be too tough .

Arnold

Quote from: "kb426"I FOUND IT! The problem with the 51's window was caused by the swivel arms on the motor being froze up. A little work and some oil and we're back in business. :) I don't know why, but I'm guessing I may have to remove the door panel and oil pins occasionally.

Around here they use so much crap on the roads in the winter..either you rust proof spray holes inside the doors:
Or..expect problems with just whatever is inside the door :evil:

WZ JUNK

Not car related but we replaced our above ground pool.  I took the old one down last fall.  Put the new one up today.  I am tired but I did take a quick dip before calling it a day. All the neighbors require me to use a swim suit.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

river1

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"All the neighbors require me to use a swim suit.

John

as does society in general :roll:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Beck

I started going through my fathers model airplane collection. He passed in March. I figured there were about 40 planes to liquidate. After selling 15 of them my sister counted what was left. Still over 50. No wonder the basement looked full. He was a very talented "scratch builder". He would start with a magazine size plan, redraw it to his size and be busy at his work bench for months.

My daughters, niece and nephew all want one. Only one will be flown. The others will display only. Naturally I am the one who gets to prep them . The flyable one needs a bit of attention and the nieces' husband doesn't have a clue. That "allows" me to do a bit of extra work on it.

I didn't have any intentions of keeping any, since some of his stuff used to be my stuff. I gave it away once, why take some of it back.

Then I came across one of his planes that predates me. As I type this there are parts on my desk. Research on that plane led me to another I liked. I must be crazy. I ordered plans to build one for display. At least it is tiny.

I have some spare time on my job. This is small enough I can bring it into work and play at my work desk.

chimp koose

put the body on frame today to check out the visibility with the seat installed . WOW I can not see the face of an adult standing right in front of the car . The seat is tipped back but the car is at a 5degree rake so it makes for an interesting challenge . I have the back of the seat as far down as it can go with the original style of slider . I will have to figure out a different slider mechanism to allow for seat positioning . I am swapping in a newer seat into my 65merc truck from a 84 ford truck so I will have hopefully a set of adjusters that will allow me to put the seat much lower in the car.

UGLY OLDS

These are about the "thinnest" seat tracks that I've seen ... Only 1" thick .:idea:

https://www.millsupply.com/seat-slide-f11000.php?p=7864

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****