What are you doing today 2016?

Started by enjenjo, December 30, 2015, 07:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: enjenjo
Quote from: "Carps"Hey Frank, I think we need more than just pictures, you need to do a tutorial on how to paint holes.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Yes, holes are difficult to paint, but only because they are so hard to hold still. I'm sure you have had the experience of making holes in something, only to find that after measuring twice that one or more of the holes have moved. I believe this is because the rotation of the earth was not taken into account when marking the holes, and the offending hole slid because of the centrifugal force. I find that aligning the holes exactly east and west you can make them much more accurately.

Next time, what type of paint to use to get the correct size holes.[/quote]

I also use the above instructions when drilling .. But in Carps case , wouldn't he need to drill his holes uphill  :?:  :?:  :?:

Metalflake is the paint of choice, you big silly ..... :lol:   Just ask Chimp.. :idea:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

348tripower

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "Carps"Hey Frank, I think we need more than just pictures, you need to do a tutorial on how to paint holes.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Yes, holes are difficult to paint, but only because they are so hard to hold still. I'm sure you have had the experience of making holes in something, only to find that after measuring twice that one or more of the holes have moved. I believe this is because the rotation of the earth was not taken into account when marking the holes, and the offending hole slid because of the centrifugal force. I find that aligning the holes exactly east and west you can make them much more accurately.

Next time, what type of paint to use to get the correct size holes.
:lol: Sounds like a journeyman tool maker talking to an apprentice.
I have been having fun rubbing on yellow primer with 320 grit. I'm yellow, the floor is yellow, everything is YELLOW  :shock:
Don Colliau

kb426

Do you believe in magic?
It was 29 degrees this morning. When I got home this afternoon at a little after 4, it was 79 degrees. :) I took a cycle for a short ride and then went to work. The deuce hadn't been cleaned for a couple of months. I gave it a bath and parked it in front of the house. I ran the 51 into the drive and gave it a bath also. When I finished I fired up the deuce to put it back into the shed, The Lovin' Spoonful's "Do you believe in magic" came on. For me a warm day in February is about like the fountain of youth. :)
TEAM SMART

Carps

Quote from: "348tripower"I have been having fun rubbing on yellow primer with 320 grit. I'm yellow, the floor is yellow, everything is YELLOW  :shock:
I think that's because your holes have moved and the yellow primer has fallen through and of course had you used the prescribed metalflake the magnetic effect on said flakes of metal would have attracted it to the holes ragardless that they have shifted slightly and you would not have yellow all over the floor.

Seems to me you may be working at the level of the first year apprentice.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Every exerienced painter knows that metalflake is great for doing holes as it will find every hole there is within a few hundred feet and work its way inside.  Paint with 'flake and you will be finding traces onf it in every hole in your body and I mean every last one of them, for weeks afterwards and it will stay attached to the holes in garage walls, floors or whatever else is there with holes in it, only to reveal itself the next time you try and paint something else with a non metalflake finish.  At that timne at least one or two flakes will leave their holes and attach themselves to the newly applied non metalflake finish.  

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"I also use the above instructions when drilling .. But in Carps case , wouldn't he need to drill his holes uphill  
That could explain why those expensive high quality drill bits I purchased at the NSRA Nat's last year just didn't cut it when I tried to use them to make holes.   :D
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

kb426

^^^^^^
I think he's done this before. :)
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"I also use the above instructions when drilling .. But in Carps case , wouldn't he need to drill his holes uphill  

That could explain why those expensive high quality drill bits I purchased at the NSRA Nat's last year just didn't cut it when I tried to use them to make holes.   :D
Have you tried pointing them the other ,( correct), way  :?:  :idea:

We use them "pointy end down".... :?  If made in the USA, maybe they will only work in that position  :?:  :?  8)

Maybe it's like when a sink drains ....Do they need to spin the "other" way down by you guys  :?:  :?:  :idea:

UGLY OLDS

On another note ...I found this while trolling on another site .... I thought it might get Chimp & KB excited .....It's the "Real thing"  :lol:

http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/metalflake-paint-actual-70s-product.1008181/

kb426

I haven't seen any of that since about 1970!
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"I haven't seen any of that since about 1970!

What's a "1970"  :?:  :?:

Bob.. :wink:

kb426

Bob, 1970 is that thing that you and I went through when you looked in the mirror and didn't say" who is that old guy" . :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

OOOOOH  8)  :D Metalflake ! We had a guy at the end of the street that had a 57 chevy in green 'flake . I was just a kid , I would sit on my bike and just stare at that car for what seemed like hours . I would lose track of time .

chimp koose

1970, that's the first year I got the strap at school! You see , there was this 57 chevy in the driveway of the house just next to our classroom window .....Green , ...Metalflake Green

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"Bob, 1970 is that thing that you and I went through when you looked in the mirror and didn't say" who is that old guy" . :)

Strange ..... :?  :?   I don't seem to remember "a 1970" ..... :?  :shock:  :lol:

Bob.. :wink:

kb426

I filled my income taxes. I was going to do it last weekend but auto work got in the way. Tomorrow I can be a hot rodder again. :)
TEAM SMART