EFI or mechanical injection

Started by Beck, December 07, 2015, 10:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

I have viewed and reviewed all of your suggestions. Thanks for the input.

I have decided on the Holley HP EFI system. As 35WINDOW stated the Dominator has more going for it, but I just don't need all the extras. It's transmission control alone is worth the extra money, but I won't need that. The extra IOs of the Dominator are very useful on a car. Because my application is a tiny pulling tractor, the HP is the answer.

Holley offers 3 Tiers of EFI training at $100 each. After the 2nd Tier you are given 20% off for everything you purchase for 1 vehicle. I have enrolled for the first 2 Tiers for Feb. I got the last seat in the classes.

Holley currently has a pretty good sale on the EFI units. I am debating if I should buy now on sale or wait until after my classes for the 20% savings. The current sale price is more than the 20% off, but they could make the current sale price the "new" regular price.

Crosley.In.AZ

Beck,  very kool. i look forward to  watching  this project  and feed back on the EFI training stuff.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

Beck, I received 2 emails from different places stating that Holley had a 20% off sale this month. If they have a first of the year price increase, it could be advantageous to buy now. I think those classes you signed up for could be the best money spent. Then you can tell the rest of us what we're doing wrong. :)
TEAM SMART

Glen

Quote from: "Beck"I have viewed and reviewed all of your suggestions. Thanks for the input.

I have decided on the Holley HP EFI system. As 35WINDOW stated the Dominator has more going for it, but I just don't need all the extras. It's transmission control alone is worth the extra money, but I won't need that. The extra IOs of the Dominator are very useful on a car. Because my application is a tiny pulling tractor, the HP is the answer.

Holley offers 3 Tiers of EFI training at $100 each. After the 2nd Tier you are given 20% off for everything you purchase for 1 vehicle. I have enrolled for the first 2 Tiers for Feb. I got the last seat in the classes.

Holley currently has a pretty good sale on the EFI units. I am debating if I should buy now on sale or wait until after my classes for the 20% savings. The current sale price is more than the 20% off, but they could make the current sale price the "new" regular price.

Would you understand the training better if you had the system on your laptop and were able to familiarize yourself with it before class?

Beck

I bought the Steve Morris Holley EFI video to start the learning process. I have watched it once so far. The video is based on the Dominator, but the HP should be very similar. It uses the same software.

I am not making the purchase yet even though it is 20% off list price now. Holley offers special pricing for components for 1 vehicle after completion of the 2nd tier of training. It will be less expensive at that time. If the price is really right I may go for the Dominator instead of the HP.

There are 2 additional wiring harness required when using the Dominator to handle all the extra inputs and outputs. This compounds the added price of the processor. The thing I like about the Dominator is I could run O2 sensors or pyrometers in each cylinder. Both units data log, but with the added inputs you can data log more with the more complex Dominator.

chimp koose

Just a word of caution when using the a/f ratio and exhaust temp data . You should talk to someone with a similar set up if possible and get a decent baseline tune up in the motor before diving into the sensor feedback to find a tune up . If your timing is too retarded it will give falsely high exhaust temp readings making you think the a/f is lean when really the timing is late causing the high temps . I would still want to yank a spark plug for an old fashioned look see to get the base tune up and then really dial it in with the data at that point .  I have seen carbureted gas guys with a new a/f meter get horribly off base tune by only going off the a/f meter and continually fattening up the jets on a late timed motor only to read no a/f change from the meter and a slower et . I would be interested to know if the training course makes mention of this type of situation .

Beck

Reading the plugs is the only really true reading to check your tune. Unfortunately I need to learn how to do that also. That will not be taught in the training. The O2 is just a reference reading. The plugs tell the story from my understanding.

chimp koose

dragstuff.com blown alcohol spark plug reading 101 . Some good info there

Beck

Quote from: "chimp koose"dragstuff.com blown alcohol spark plug reading 101 . Some good info there
I printed that so I can refer to it as needed. Thanks.

chimp koose

HRE.com is full of fuel tuning info for methanol and nitro injection . It used to have some access for non paying visitors and another section at a cost per year.

Beck

Quote from: "chimp koose"HRE.com is full of fuel tuning info for methanol and nitro injection . It used to have some access for non paying visitors and another section at a cost per year.
I signed up, but haven't had a chance to look around there. Thanks again.