T-5 Gear swap ?

Started by Mac, December 03, 2015, 11:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

I replaced my S-10 NWC box in my `63 C-10 pickup with a WC from a Camaro using the S-10 tail housing . It works fine, in fact I just drove it 675 miles loaded down, pulling a loaded 10 ft. utility trailer in my move to the mtns. of NC

My only complaint is the very high 5th gear @ 0.63. If it's possible I'd like to swap in the gears from the S-10 box, which are 0.73. Will the NWC v WC interchange?

TIA
Who\'s yer Data?

enjenjo

Quote from: "Mac"I replaced my S-10 NWC box in my `63 C-10 pickup with a WC from a Camaro using the S-10 tail housing . It works fine, in fact I just drove it 675 miles loaded down, pulling a loaded 10 ft. utility trailer in my move to the mtns. of NC

My only complaint is the very high 5th gear @ 0.63. If it's possible I'd like to swap in the gears from the S-10 box, which are 0.73. Will the NWC v WC interchange?

TIA

Yes, as long as the mainshaft gears are both 27 spline. In some cases the mainshaft gear is a different length, and some mainshafts have no snap ring groove in the proper location. So I guess the proper answer would be maybe. I have made spacers for short gears, and machined down long gears to make things fit. It depends on whether it a early or late NWC trans.

There are also differences in the WC to NWC 5th gear syncronizer, but as long as you keep the proper syncro with the proper cluster shaft it works.

The other thing to consider the final 5th gear ratio also depends on the input to cluster shaft ratio. So Overdrive gears from an S10 trans with a 4.09 first gear will not give the same OD ratio when installed in a trans with a 3.35 first gear. So you have to do the calculations to see what the outcome will be.

I have multiple sets of various OD gears.

Here is a good site for identification  http://www.britishv8.org/articles/borg-warner-t5-id-tags.htm
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Mac

Thanks Frank, I may be shopping gear sets with you.
I checked out the brit v8 link but I don't have my BW numbers handy.

The S10 NWC was missing it's tag and the sticker was illegible but I know is 90-91 due to the elect. speedo drive.
The WC had no tag but it does have the sticker (I never recorded it) but I remember, from running the numbers, that it's from a 89-90 Camaro and the OD is 0.73. Also, I can report, via the butt dyno, that the S10 1st gear is a lower (feeling) ratio.

This truck is pretty much a Daily D so I aim to minimize downtime with as much info and parts on hand before I pull the trans.
Who\'s yer Data?