Roadster Pick-up top

Started by moose, August 14, 2015, 08:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

Helping a good friend skin the top for his 32 Roadster Pick-up need to shear the material for the center pieces and cut out the window opening and frame it.

kb426

Looks good! Will it be covered in cloth?
TEAM SMART

moose

Quote from: "kb426"Looks good! Will it be covered in cloth?

Yes

taxpyer

What an excellent job. Great article with lots of good points. I've seen antique European cars with tops covered in coloured leather. Really looks classy.
Great article. :)
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

chimp koose

I wonder what that would look like if you covered it in thick saddle leather and used brass rivets to secure it . Just thinking out loud .The paper patterns made me think of it.

Topsterguy

VERY cool looking top and well done!  I'm not really into one piece tops because you either have it on or it's off and when you're travelling it has to be on, but that's a good looking top.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

GPster

Any suggestions or a site helpful for building that wood header over the windshield? I noticed the wood on my first look but I dis-regarded it with-out looking to closely because I thought it would have been straight because of roadster pick-ups flat one piece windshields but then I noticed the picture showing the full width with the "V". My Jeepster has a two piece windshield that I thought I'd make the header thicker/deeper to also serve as a visor. I have the metal form of the header and the factory latches but the wood gave up it's ghost long ago (before I bought it 22 years ago). My top will probably be canvas covered with the visor covered to and will still be a folding top. I can nail two pieces of wood together but I think this should be more of a cabinet maker's than carpenter's job. GPster

jaybee

Not sure if I can help find something that'll help, but this was sort of interesting. This guy built his own convertible top for a Porsche 356.  http://www.mangosmoothie.ca/convertible-frame

I couldn't find anything that dealt specifically with the header, however.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

zzebby

Thanks for the link to the Porsche folding top, cool in a British way, can almost hear his accent.

GPster

Quote from: "jaybee"Not sure if I can help find something that'll help, but this was sort of interesting. This guy built his own convertible top for a Porsche 356.  http://www.mangosmoothie.ca/convertible-frame

I couldn't find anything that dealt specifically with the header, however.
I certainly didn't act very apprectivly by not thanking you for that site. I have all of the stock steel frame for my top. I have the wood header for the form over the back window and I'm hoping that I can find some kind of epoxy that will stiffen it so I can reuse it top tack the top material to it for that seam. The front wood header is mostly used as a place to tack the front edge of the top's material to. I was just looking for so thoughts for making that piece of wood and shaping it larger to also act as a visor over the chopped (up) windshield . GPster