rear Sway Bar added

Started by 40_Tudor, July 14, 2015, 12:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

40_Tudor

Had the exhaust reworked last week so I could add a Progressive rear sway bar. Made a big difference in the handling. Added rear QA1 single adjustable shocks last year and it helped a little but the rear sway bar did the trick. One of the other guys with a 40 recommended it, don't remember who it was but I appreciate the tip. Wish I would have added it a long time ago.

jaybee

Too much rear stiffness can cause oversteer, but with bigs and littles I'd think a lot of cars could use a rear bar.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

unklian

I added  a rear bar on my daily barge.

HUGE difference.
Couldn't believe it.  :D

Larger front bar helped, rear bar was like night and day.

40_Tudor

I'd say its a must for any fat rendered car.

Carnut

Rear bar on my 40 works well for me. A whole lot less roll over.

UGLY OLDS

I put a Must II front bar on the back of my Kidd's Dodge years ago shortly after we built it  ...  ( Used the standard Must II bar in front) .   Made it a completely different car, especially on the highway at speed ... No more body sway when passing trucks & etc ... :idea:

If you ever get to the point of oversteer in THAT car , all is lost anyway .... :shock:  :lol:

Bob ...  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

416Ford

Quote from: "Carnut"Rear bar on my 40 works well for me. A whole lot less roll over.

Been wonder myself, if I should add one to the rear of the 46. We broke the front mount on ours last week and traveled 950 mile without one. Not a great ride.

Can we see a picture of how you mounted the ends please.
Thanks
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

416Ford

Thank for the pictures. What sway bar is it? and what kind of car are the lower mounts from?
Dave
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

phat rat

It looks like Chassis Engineering set-up
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Carnut

Yep, it is all CE kits from back in 1989.

37-40 Ford CE AS2016C Rear Leaf Spring Boltin Kit Complete
35-40 Ford SB 3540R Rear Sway Bar Kit.

Heh, heh, kinda obvious from the pics I'm a mechanic and not a 'builder'

If it ain't broke don't fix it, but if it ain't good enough work on it.'

List of mods on my 40 http://carnut.com/iown/40mods.html