How close for steering support to exhaust

Started by chimp koose, July 13, 2015, 11:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

Hey guys , I have a question that I would like some opinions on . I am routing my steering shaft from column to rack and it gets the spherical rod end I am using as a shaft support within 1/2 " of the exhaust just as it exits the shorty headers collector . How close is too close? Would I be better off making a bushing in a tube as a support and gaining some clearance as opposed to the rod end ? Even if I curve the exhaust right out of the collector it comes close to the rod end .  Everywhere else there is at least 1/8 " clearance between frame /steering and engine/steering .Opinions please .

enjenjo

wrap the exhaust pipe in that area. You could also consider a bronze lined Heim end.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

I should have said a fat 1/4" . What if I just made a bushing for that area ?  5/8" ID x 1/2" long would fit and probably give enough room to wrap the exhaust .I don't like the look of wrapped exhaust but better than cooked parts. Would that be too hot for a bushing ?

enjenjo

1/4" should be enough room for an exhaust wrap. Any chance of moving the rod end backward or forward on line with the shaft to get it away from the exhaust? It doesn't have to be right against the U joint. How about supporting the shaft on the other side of the U joint?

chimp koose

I have the rod end at the end of the shaft where the bearing in the end of the steering column used to be. This is nearly the last of the round before it goes to DD .I will look again to see if there is anything to be gained there yet. I used the steering column DD collapsible shaft from the firewall down to this u joint and I am kind of stuck with this set of joints as they are off the donor car 92 festiva with a funky spline. At the open end of this collapsible DD shaft I have a pressed in piece that has yet to be welded in and machined 3/4DD . ( I am keeping the removed factory welded in end as well to prove to any inspector that that is how it was originally as they frown on welded steering components ). I will likely wrap the exhaust but am still nervous that I might heat damage the rod end? does anyone have experiences good or bad about running a rod end that close to an exhaust?

chimp koose

I should have added that the support has to be on that side of the U joint because the other side is one of those vibration damper shafts (bulky)and about 6" long then u joint to rack spline shaft. How much overlap is required on a DD collapsible column ? maybe I could steal a little length to put it on the other side of the pipe ?

chimp koose

Well I feel like a bit of a goof . I did some detective work (measuring) and found out my rack has a 5/8 36 splined end . I thought it was a goofy metric because the clamping bolt is metric. I have ordered a 5/8 36 x 3/4 DD and another 3/4 DD x 3/4 DD and should be able to pick and choose where the u joints go now. I will be making my shafts a DD just on the ends , leaving the rest round . I have a nice piece of 4340 that should do fine. If I had any concern about this rack being too small , my research also shows that Kugel. and unisteer both have a smaller 9/16 x 26 splined end on the rack.

chimp koose

so after my parts arrive I find out that it is NOT a 5/8 36 spline end but rather a 16mm 36 splined end. 16 mm and 5/8 are nearly identical but not close enough for a fit . the stock u joint is a split with clamping bolt and the borgeson is  a set screw deal. I think if I get a split with clamping bolt 5/8 joint it would likely fit but I may have another solution . The collapsible steering shaft I have has the same 16mm 36 spline on one end (I will have to mill off one spline for the master spline end in the u joint)and the DD collapsible end measures 17.5 mm on the male part. Most places offer a 17mm DD end on their u joints . A quick trip to the lathe to lop off .020"of diameter and milling the flats a little may solve this problem .The dimensions of the 17mm DD are .670" x .570", so if the flats on the shaft now are any larger , I may have this solved.  I will not have a collapsible shaft in the steering but there will be enough angles in the shafts to not need one . Boy is this ever not a bolt in deal!

chimp koose

The drama continues .The 16mm 36 spline ended  DD shaft measures 17.5 mm on the large round section but only .537 " across the flats. In order to machine it to a true 17mm DD the flats would measure .570" so there is just not enough material there. This means I will have to machine a DD right after the splines where the shaft is still round . I have JUST enough material to do that and run a 5/8 rod end between the 2 u joints(the end was turned down just past the splines to run the rod end previously ) Essentially I will have a double u joint with a rod end to support it sandwiched between the u joints . Looks like I will have 4  u joints in the system. I now need to order a 17mm DD x 3/4 ' DD u joint to get the job done .Corvette and fiero use a 17mm DD .

enjenjo

Couldn't you hand file the spline out to the 16mm size? It's only .oo5"

chimp koose

It is a small difference but I am not sure that the splines would fit . There are already 2 versions of spline in 5/8 36 ,one is unique to Chrysler products. The splines are so small I can not tell you what angle they are . Rather than possibly butcher a brand new part I would rather exchange for the 17mm to 3/4 DD joint and make this into a double u joint like I was using before the clearance issue with the rod end shaft support . At least this combination is an inch or more shorter than the original set up and moves the support well away from the exhaust . My speed shop is closed until mid week next so it is on the back burner for a while.