LT1 fuel questions

Started by trackster, June 23, 2015, 10:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trackster

I have an LT1 from a 1995 Camaro with 88k miles.  It's been sitting for about 10 years.   Would you do a complete teardown and redo or just try to get it running as is?   It was running fine when removed from car and has been inside on a stand since then, but has not been turned over at all.  Also, what kind of fuel pressure do I need for this, and what size fuel and return lines?  Thanks for any input you can offer.   I'm new to this fuel injection stuff.
I am CDO, kinda like OCD, but in alphabetical order, like it should be!

enjenjo

If it turns over easily by hand there should be no internal problems. Pull the plugs, a bit of Marvel oil in each cylinder, and fire it up. I think it takes 45 psi for fuel pressure, you might want to check that, and the fuel lines are 3/8" supply, with a 5/16" return.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

papastoyss

I would spin the engine w/the spark plugs removed, If it will build oil pressure while spinning w/ starter motor you should be good to go. I used one of these engines in a '37 Minotti coupe in the mid 90's ,it wouldn't build oil pressure cranking w/starter & I wound up dropping the pan & rolling in a new set of rod & main bearings.These engines don't run a lot of oil pressure to begin with.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

trackster

Thanks for the info.   Very helpful and greatly appreciated.

wayne petty

LT1 HINTS before you pull it off the stand.

its easier to do it on the stand let me tell you..

inspect the ignition coil for signs of high voltage leaks..  its easy to replace even inside the car..

inspect your spark plugs and spark plug wires.. they all fit up into holders that are almost impossible to get put back in place with the engine installed..

you may want to examine the water pump seep hole for any signs of coolant leak.. or just replace the pump.. the water pump drive shaft may fall out.. it will fit in either direction it will LEAK oil in one direction and not in the other.  always a good idea to replace a water pump that has been sitting for 10 years..

while you have the pump off. please inspect your Optispark distributor cap and rotor and the device behind the rotor that has hundreds of small slots.. if that is rusty..  you may have a moisture issue. check the cap to housing seal..  there are kits available with hoses filters and check valves that allow the duraspark cap/housing to be properly vented to avoid the build up of ozone that will destroy the cap inside.

coming out the passenger side of the optispark housing is a small 4 wire connector.. disconnect it and look at the terminals.. if they are GREEN you will need to replace the adapter cable that goes from the small rectangular sealed connector to the weatherpack 4 pin flat with round tubes connector. there is a guy online that sells that for i think 30 bucks..  the corrosion will cause you major issues later on..   it actually dissolved the copper wire strands until you don't have any more contact.

this next thing is strange. but i have found a bunch of them worn..

loosen and remove the rubber boot off the front of the throttle body.   look inside at the driver side end of the shaft.. open the throttle lever part way and wiggle.. if the shaft wiggles.. you may want to replace the throttle body or send it out for rebushing..   why... the throttle stop screw touches the end of the throttle lever..  if the shaft bore is worn (O ) ( O) instead of (O)  the throttle will come back to less than the previous closed angle and the TPS voltage will vary just slightly.. this will absolutely FREAK out the computer.. the LT1 350 uses the Same fuel injection system as the L98 corvette and TP! camaro/firebirds..  if you don't have a TPS sensor voltage of EXACTLY 0.53 volts closed.. you will have Strange issues.  like an unstable idle.. stalling.. rich mixture.

since its on the stand.. please clean the ring terminals on the ground wires near the ignition coil.. there will be more hidden around the engine..  i will have to dig out a book to find them as i don't recall.

trackster

Wayne, Thanks for the response.  Will check things as advised.

unklian

And change the plug wires, before you install the motor.

zzebby

Yes as previously posted,  the water pump will be a problem, they don't like to sit especially on this LT1.  Kinda pricey,  but there is a rodder who has a good kit.
Otherwise a great motor, had a 96 SS Impala, very strong. I would run it as is.

enjenjo

Summit has an ignition kit with the upgraded ignition they used on the later LT1s.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

trackster

Thanks to all for the great info.  Printed and saved for use when needed.