Cordless drill?

Started by jaybee, June 08, 2015, 11:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Any recommendations for the best choice in a new cordless drill? It's time for a new one. My Firestorm variable speed drill smells like ozone whenever it's used (always a sign of a power tool on borrowed time) and I'm down to one battery which will hold a charge.

Which one would you buy?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

tomslik

bosch, compact, plenty of power and I haven't killed one yet
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

I've been having good luck with my Porter Cable 18V set. They have now gone to 20V but I just got an 18V set on Ebay ( I gave one set away as a wedding present to a couple that had just bought a house and I'm sure it is expected at the bride's sister's wedding this summer). Good drill, saws-all and circular saw that all use the same battery and two batteries and a charger in the set. The 18V works harder than I can. GPster

Mac

I can't talk about durability yet but I just pick up a deal at Home Depot on an 18V cordless drill and impact driver set for $179 ($20 more than the drill cost alone). Included 2 batteries, charger and nylon bag. It's their house brand Rigid.
The hook for me was the lifetime replacement which INCLUDES batteries.
Who\'s yer Data?

enjenjo

Quote from: "enjenjo"DeWalt 18 volt.

The reason I like Dewalt, they make several drills, two impact drivers, a reciprocating saw, a 4" grinder, a 5" circular saw, two flashlights, a work light, and a band saw that all take the same battery.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Arnold

Quote from: "Mac"I can't talk about durability yet but I just pick up a deal at Home Depot on an 18V cordless drill and impact driver set for $179 ($20 more than the drill cost alone). Included 2 batteries, charger and nylon bag. It's their house brand Rigid.
The hook for me was the lifetime replacement which INCLUDES batteries.

I am actually thinking of buying my 2nd Rigid 1/2" Cordless hammer drill.
  I have used mine a lot..over the last 6yrs. still works like new. I just don't want the warranty hassle. I have other cordless stuff but nothing  this powerful. If mine quits I will probably just go buy another one and then send this one and see if they will honor their warranty. I heard a few years ago that they were honoring their warranty's..that were few.

I just love mine. They're heavy..and not great ergonomics.

Mine at 6 y/o old drove a bazillion 3" deck screws through 2x4's into my plank barn roof for toe boards last summer.

To be honest..after what I paid for mine and the use I have had..I don't care if they don't honor their lifetime warranty. I will still buy another one.

I got some life time replacement no time or mileage limit wheel bearings not long ago.
   They are guaranteed for life. For this life of this particular product.If it ever fails they will replace it. ONCE.

I asked what happens if this fails today I get a replacement and it fails the next day. They said they had not encountered that.

phat46

Dewalt 18 volt. I've had one for many years, it gets used a lot. It has more power than my brothers Rigid and the batteries last longer. Just this morning we were repairing some shed doors and my brother said "you've had that drill a ling time"  :)

river1

Dewalt 18 volt have been god to me

I've killed one set of batteries but that was after a LOT of use

i also like them because of their tool line. I have two drill/drivers, sawsall, circular saw, flash light. Plan to pick up more tools on as needed basis.

I also like that at least part of the manufacturing process is in the USA

http://toolguyd.com/dewalt-cordless-tools-built-in-the-usa/

All that said I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major manufacturers,  it's a chevy ford dodge type argument

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

papastoyss

I have an 18 v Ryobi I bought from Home Depot I am well pleased with. There is also a neat flashlight that uses the same battery that is real good for under dash work. The battery is the base & the lens head swivels, the battery is heavy enough that the light will stay pretty much where ever you set it.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

kb426

I have to work in tight spaces alot. I bought the Dewalt 12v lithium setup. It's smaller and has led lights for us blind old guys. I've seen plenty of people with the 18v version, it's just too large for what most of my work is. I used to use Bosch air saws. They were very good. If the rest of their line is as good, I would think that would be a good purchase.
TEAM SMART

Okiedokie

I bought the Rigid combo drill and driver with lifetime warranty including the batteries. Very pleased with them.

Carps

I'm with Frank, the lower voltage units from other brands are OK but no good when the serious work starts.

DeWalt aint cheap, but good quality unbreakable stuff rarely is.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

sirstude

I still have a couple of 12v DeWalts, great drills.  I had the batteries rebuilt at Batteries+ for about 35 bucks each.  I have the Rigid 18V set also, but they are bigger.  Been looking at the new DeWalt stuff with the small batteries 20v I think.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

phat46

Speaking of DeWalt, my wife got me one of the new 40 volt cordless string trimmers. I REALLY like it, i can get two full trimmings of my property and still have one light, out of three, lit on the battery. It's 15-20 minutes to do my property. I might be able to get three rounds out of it. No cord, no buying and mixing gas, and no storing gas. It has plenty of power, as much as my gas powered trimmer, and more than a corded trimmer I used to use. It has two speeds, I use the lower one for everything, the high speed seems kinda scarey!  :shock: