Harbor Freight tool boxes

Started by enjenjo, April 08, 2015, 03:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I see Harbor Freight has tool boxes on sale. Any one have experience with them good or bad?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

A couple years ago, I bought the 44" top and bottom boxes, and I like them.  They are quite a bit larger than my old C-man boxes which I still have.  Give a little tug on the drawers to open them.  The drawer labels and plastic covers are worthless, though, they don't stay in their slots, so I used a label maker to make stick-on labels.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

moose

Are you saying you have to tug to get them open or it takes a tug to move them?

rumrumm

I have had this small one for over ten years with no problems. For the price, you can't beat it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/11-drawer-roller-cabinet-67421.html
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "moose"Are you saying you have to tug to get them open or it takes a tug to move them?

It's just a gentle tug; it's what keeps the drawers from opening if you're rolling it around.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

UGLY OLDS

Hate to quote another Chat-Room , but take a look at the "Garage-Journal" ... The guys there like them & there are multiple threads devoted to them ... ( And they are PICKEY !!)
A lot of guys actually build the lower box into their bench as a way to conserve space ...
I would have one if not for the fact that I am trying to "down-size" a bit .... The 44" one is too long for my application anyway ...

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Ohio Blue Tip

I have the 44" 13 drawer base box,  had it about 2 years.  I also have Snap on, Sears, and Kennedy boxes, the Harbor Freight is as good as any.  I plan on buying the top box soon.  Very good for the price, Ken say's so!
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

kb426

I have the 44" bottom also. It's exceptional in value versus cost as compared to the other units on the market. If you go and look at them, you will make a decision as to which one to purchase as soon as you open a drawer. Like all H.F. stuff, there is a difference in quality.
TEAM SMART

Harry

First thing I look for when shopping for a tool box is, open a drawer and look for a rolled edge on the drawer sides. If it's not rolled or folded over the drawers are too chintzy for me.

unklian

I suspect they have more
than one quality level on their tool boxes.

Some of them seem pretty thin.
Others seem decent.

wayne petty

there are a few videos out there where people have added better casters and some steel channel or I beams to the inside bottom where the wheels bolt on.. this stops the bottom from collapsing in..  spreading the load..

i have been drooling over them also..  my craftsman bottom is 35 years old..  i have worn out the slides completely..  and am on my third set of casters.

i have a friend who lost his entire roll away along with about 10 other rollaways when bandits broke into the dealership while the security guards all went to dinner together at the same time every night..

i tried to get him to install a shallow tray under his rollaway..  so an armored motorcycle lock cable can be slid in and out to lock around something secure..

i even tried to get him to bolt some of these to the bottom.. so when he leaves it.. its up on the leveling jacks..  but with them in some kind of armored box like a candy box that is a slip fit.. so side angles won't pull the jack over..    this will make it really hard to drag off..

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-half-ton-trailer-stabilizer-jack-96406.html

one could also weld one of these to each end.. but have a padlock cover over the crank handle... or weld a NUT to the stub of the crank handle.. to make it easier to cover..  

http://www.harborfreight.com/3500-lb-capacity-drop-leg-trailer-jack-3961.html

crank those down and let somebody try to drag it off.  when somebody says what are those for.. to make it a firmer surface  pound on. then smile.

Crosley.In.AZ

Some of the budget  tool boxes are not very deep.

For the average home user that would be good, not taking space up too far out from the wall.

My budget (?) Snap On roll cab has rolled over edge on the drawers
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

41woodie

I've moved to a new house and in planning the garage I found the information posted on the Garage Journal concerning the 44" HF boxes.  I looked them over and bought three.  Couldn't be happier with them.  I also purchased an end box to use in making up a workbench from the base units.  
My only warning would be to ask the nice folks at your HF store to bust open the units for damage inspection and to look the items over very carefully for damage.  They may not like the idea but it's your dime.  From what I've seen locally transport damage is pretty common on these units.
I don't need the cabinets to withstand the stress and wear that a pro mechanic would put on them but I don't see anything that would make me think they wouldn't last a long time.

Carps

Had a look at one at Costco today, their own brand I believe and it's a pretty solid unit, has anti skid mat in all drawers, with a neat locking mechanism.  Also seems thicker metal than my big name brand (read expensive) now too small wand with a broken runner on the big drawer cabinet.  Bigger, sturdier and about half the price, I can live with the wrinkle black finish.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Crosley.In.AZ

I looked at Lowes stainless steel boxes over the weekend.  Drawers have rolled over top side  edges.

Their basic Kobalt steel boxes:  the drawer top side edges are not rolled over
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)